• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, everything is getting very pricey.

104 posts in this topic

Sorry for the ignorance, but I never understood why Giant Size X-Men or X-Men 94 are highly sought after. I would think X-men #1 is the holy grail of the franchise. There don't seem to be a lot of other significant key issues in X-Men.

X-Men #1 is far and away the priciest of the X-Men comics, so there's nothing to be confused about there.

As far as GSX-Men #1 and X-Men #94, do Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Thunderbird ring a bell? Because the former is their first appearance in comics, and the latter is the return of the X-Men title to regular original stories after a several year cancellation. Both also feature Wolvie, of course. The revamped title and the characters within were hugely popular for decades. Consequently, it's no wonder the two issues are considered must-own bronze age keys, are in very high demand, and sell for much more than surrounding issues.

This ...

Sorry for the ignorance, but I never understood why Giant Size X-Men or X-Men 94 are highly sought after. I would think X-men #1 is the holy grail of the franchise. There don't seem to be a lot of other significant key issues in X-Men.

Wow, you have been gone a long time. :facepalm:

Look, unless you have something helpful to add, could you stop following me around the board trolling all my posts?

Look buddy I'm just trying to talk to you. You don't have to be a wet *spoon*. I think I've earned a little more respect around here then what you are giving me.

Replies like that show that you deserve very little respect.

Nice to see there are some decent mature posters on here. For the other person that sarcastically replied to my post. I don't claim to be an expert, I've been collecting for 2 years now and I still have a lot to learn especially when it comes to some characters who I'm not familiar with, and why some books are valuable.

GSX1 redid the series with a new group that was wildly popular in the late 70's early 80's. Dare i say the most popular run of all time? IDK but it has to be up there.

X-men 1 started a run of books that were never very popular and were eventually canceled.

Without GSX1 the x-men may have been long forgotten as an experiment that failed.

Wow, you have been gone a long time. :facepalm:

Look, unless you have something helpful to add, could you stop following me around the board trolling all my posts?

Look buddy I'm just trying to talk to you. You don't have to be a wet *spoon*. I think I've earned a little more respect around here then what you are giving me.

Replies like that show that you deserve very little respect.

Nice to see there are some decent mature posters on here. For the other person that sarcastically replied to my post. I don't claim to be an expert, I've been collecting for 2 years now and I still have a lot to learn especially when it comes to some characters who I'm not familiar with, and why some books are valuable.

GSX1 redid the series with a new group that was wildly popular in the late 70's early 80's. Dare i say the most popular run of all time? IDK but it has to be up there.

X-men 1 started a run of books that were never very popular and were eventually canceled.

Without GSX1 the x-men may have been long forgotten as an experiment that failed.

This is spot on.

Wolverine 1st isn't going anywhere but I think the importance of GSX 1 & X-men 94 relies on the nostalgia of people who collected from '75 to around '87.

When the X-Factor series started it kicked off the X-everything era....mutants were everywhere and what was great about the all new all different X-men got lost.

Wolverine 1st isn't going anywhere but I think the importance of GSX 1 & X-men 94 relies on the nostalgia of people who collected from '75 to around '87.

When the X-Factor series started it kicked off the X-everything era....mutants were everywhere and what was great about the all new all different X-men got lost.

...... and XM 94 can still be had for a decent price if one settles for something outside of the nosebleed level....... but that book looks so nice in near perfect condition :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...... and XM 94 can still be had for a decent price if one settles for something outside of the nosebleed level....... but that book looks so nice in near perfect condition :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Issue 94 is prone to noticeable colour-breaking creases on the spine, even in 9.4 / NM.

Issue 94 is prone to noticeable colour-breaking creases on the spine, even in 9.4 / NM.

No kidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-X-Men-94-CGC-9-4-New-X-Men-Begin-/331633701026?hash=item4d36e8b0a2:g:-~kAAOSwMmBV1kHq

No kidding.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-X-Men-94-CGC-9-4-New-X-Men-Begin-/331633701026?hash=item4d36e8b0a2:g:-~kAAOSwMmBV1kHq

Not sure what that is but it sure isn't a 9.4 despite what the label says.

No kidding.

It does present extremely poorly, not just the colour-breaking creases but 3 soft corners as well. My copy destroys that one.

Actually its the Uncanny X-men in the 75 to around 87 time-frame that made the X-title so special. There wouldn't have been any X-Factor, New Mutants, All New, etc if not for GSX1 & X-men 94.

No kidding.

It does present extremely poorly, not just the colour-breaking creases but 3 soft corners as well. My copy destroys that one.

Nice to see you guys agree with my eye assessment. I TRY to give the benefit of a doubt when I see books that IMHO don't match the label but man that copy looks terrible.

Now I see why posters say buy the book not the label!

I wonder how much it will go for?

Pedigree Comics Auction for X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/W: https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=54505

Giant-Size X-Men, I get, but I still don't understand the significance of X-Men 94. In Giant-Size, we get the 1st appearance and origins of Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. In 94, they argue, fly to Norad, and get shot down. Why are they the same price? (shrug)

Giant-Size X-Men, I get, but I still don't understand the significance of X-Men 94. In Giant-Size, we get the 1st appearance and origins of Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. In 94, they argue, fly to Norad, and get shot down. Why are they the same price? (shrug)

It is a very, very ordinary story, saved only by the shock death of Thunderbird in issue 95.

25% more GSX1 on the census than XM94, but 400% more 9.8s, 300% more 9.6s, etc.?

They are not the same price - except in uber high grade GSXM1 is a much more expensive book (i.e., CGC 8.5 GPA X-Men 94 = $515 90 day average, GSXM1 = $1,047 90 day average). In uber high grade it is due to scarcity of X-Men 94.

Importance wise - I liken it to what DC did throughout the silver age - i.e., they have the heroes first appear in a one-off book (like Showcase or Brave and the Bold) and then have them appear in their own regular series. GSXM1 is the Brave and Bold 28 of the X-Men and X-Men 94 is the JLA 1 of the X-Men.

Not everything.

Go into a show with $500 in your pocket and you can walk out with a box of what I consider nice BA books with some SA and CA mixed in.

Big keys, yes, getting pricey.

25% more GSX1 on the census than XM94, but 400% more 9.8s, 300% more 9.6s, etc.?

This.

Actually that's a good reason why XM94 should be worth more in uber high grade than GSX1 IMHO.

Actually that's a good reason why XM94 should be worth more in uber high grade than GSX1 IMHO.

X-Men 94 is worth more in uber high grade (i.e., 9.8) but GSXM1 crushes it in mid to high grades (i.e., CGC 8.0, 8.5 etc.) - See above post :)