• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, everything is getting very pricey.

104 posts in this topic

Giant-Size X-Men, I get, but I still don't understand the significance of X-Men 94. In Giant-Size, we get the 1st appearance and origins of Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. In 94, they argue, fly to Norad, and get shot down. Why are they the same price? (shrug)

25% more GSX1 on the census than XM94, but 400% more 9.8s, 300% more 9.6s, etc.?

Actually that's a good reason why XM94 should be worth more in uber high grade than GSX1 IMHO.

X-Men 94 is worth more in uber high grade (i.e., 9.8) but GSXM1 crushes it in mid to high grades (i.e., CGC 8.0, 8.5 etc.) - See above post :)

Sorry misread your post.

Nice summary of the importance of each book BTW.

The last X-men 94 sold on Comic Link in February for $11,750. It was the first 9.8 offered publicly since November of 2013. Gives an indication how often it's available to buy compared to GSX1.

I'm a proud owner of both books. (thumbs u

Dave's right in that the thread was started in the Bronze Age section and GS XM 1 is the X-Men key from this era. For many of us who started collecting in the 70s the book has incredible significance, so a :facepalm: response should be anticipated, if nothing else. (shrug)

Right! I really thought the comment was a joke really. I mean who really thinks GSX1 and XMen 94 are trivial books. (shrug)

I think I almost cried when Thunderbird died. I did not became an hardcore X-Men fan afterwards (especially after the Phoenix saga), but man these were poignant stories.

Giant-Size X-Men, I get, but I still don't understand the significance of X-Men 94. In Giant-Size, we get the 1st appearance and origins of Storm, Colossus, and Nightcrawler. In 94, they argue, fly to Norad, and get shot down. Why are they the same price? (shrug)

They are not the same price - except in uber high grade GSXM1 is a much more expensive book (i.e., CGC 8.5 GPA X-Men 94 = $515 90 day average, GSXM1 = $1,047 90 day average). In uber high grade it is due to scarcity of X-Men 94.

Importance wise - I liken it to what DC did throughout the silver age - i.e., they have the heroes first appear in a one-off book (like Showcase or Brave and the Bold) and then have them appear in their own regular series. GSXM1 is the Brave and Bold 28 of the X-Men and X-Men 94 is the JLA 1 of the X-Men.

Well the most recent sale (today) beat the last X-men 94 which sold in February this year for $11,750.

Pedigree Comics Auction for X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/W: https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=54505

This book is in demand.

They are not the same price - except in uber high grade GSXM1 is a much more expensive book (i.e., CGC 8.5 GPA X-Men 94 = $515 90 day average, GSXM1 = $1,047 90 day average). In uber high grade it is due to scarcity of X-Men 94.

Importance wise - I liken it to what DC did throughout the silver age - i.e., they have the heroes first appear in a one-off book (like Showcase or Brave and the Bold) and then have them appear in their own regular series. GSXM1 is the Brave and Bold 28 of the X-Men and X-Men 94 is the JLA 1 of the X-Men.

Well the most recent sale (today) beat the last X-men 94 which sold in February this year for $11,750.

Pedigree Comics Auction for X-Men #94 CGC 9.8 OW/W: https://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=54505

This book is in demand.

Is this the fugliest 9.8 copy of the book around? Even with the small scan you can see the surface wear/scuffing along the spine, the light damage in the top left corner, and it looks like there is one noticeable color breaking crease in the middle of the spine. How the heck did CGC give that a 9.8?

This book is in demand.

Is this the fugliest 9.8 copy of the book around? Even with the small scan you can see the surface wear/scuffing along the spine, the light damage in the top left corner, and it looks like there is one noticeable color breaking crease in the middle of the spine. How the heck did CGC give that a 9.8?

My 8.5 looks better than this. :eyeroll:

This book is in demand.

Beat me to it. I was going to say that my 9.4 destroys that copy. Sharp, rich colours, no spine creases.

Truly fugly, gift grade 9.8 .

This book is in demand.

Beat me to it. I was going to say that my 9.4 destroys that copy. Sharp, rich colours, no spine creases.

Now guys, not that long ago I got ridiculed on here for saying the same thing about a X-men 9.8 copy on E-bay. Oakman knows all about it.

I was told then, because of the scan, that it was a poor showing, shut my trap, and to give the label grade the benefit of a doubt....

Just saying......

This book is in demand.

Let's see that 9.4 please.

This book is in demand.

Hmmm well show it ;)

This book is in demand.

Now guys, not that long ago I got ridiculed on here for saying the same thing about a X-men 9.8 copy on E-bay. Oakman knows all about it.

I was told then, because of the scan, that it was a poor showing, shut my trap, and to give the label grade the benefit of a doubt....

Just saying......

It does not matter. A fugly overgraded book is still a fugly overgraded book. If we can see all of that damage from the crappy scan on the site, the book will likely look worse in real life.

This book is in demand.

Hmmm well show it ;)

Here it is baby. (thumbs u

Scan10094-1.jpg

This book is in demand.

Hmmm well show it ;)

Here it is baby. (thumbs u

Scan10094-1.jpg

Nice copy! That looks better than an 8.5 without looking at the BC and the bottom edges of the book.

This book is in demand.

I am confused by what you are saying - but to clarify on my end, uber high grade sales of X-Men 94 (i.e., CGC 9.8 sales) far exceed GSXM 1 sales in the same grade (at least as per GPA when I made that post). In lower grade i.e., in the 8.5 range GSXM 1 clobbers X-Men 94. The rarity of X-Men 94 in uber high grade causes it to be much more expensive than GSXM1.

From you post I think we are saying the same thing? You link an X-Men 94 CGC 9.8 that had a $12K ask - I don't think GSXM1 in 9.8 is anywhere near that price point (I let my GPA membership lapse - so someone would have to verify this)

This book is in demand.

The surface wear/scuffing on the spine might be on the case and not the book. You can't tell from the scan. Also the noticeable color breaking crease in the middle of the spine extends past the left edge of the actual spine, so it appears to be a scratch in the case. Soft corner is the only thing on that book that is definitely there, the rest might be slab problems.

8802674157_518dd243f6_b_d.jpg

Looks way better than the Pedigree 9.8. Nice book! (thumbs u

Yes it does but to be fair this book does not look like a 9.4. It looks like a 9.8. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whatever is bringing this book down isn't visible in the front cover scan.

This book is in demand.

I am confused by what you are saying - but to clarify on my end, uber high grade sales of X-Men 94 (i.e., CGC 9.8 sales) far exceed GSXM 1 sales in the same grade (at least as per GPA when I made that post). In lower grade i.e., in the 8.5 range GSXM 1 clobbers X-Men 94. The rarity of X-Men 94 in uber high grade causes it to be much more expensive than GSXM1.

From you post I think we are saying the same thing? You link an X-Men 94 CGC 9.8 that had a $12K ask - I don't think GSXM1 in 9.8 is anywhere near that price point (I let my GPA membership lapse - so someone would have to verify this)

Sorry I wasn't clear but Yes we are saying the same exact thing.

The link I provided is what X-men 94 CGC.9.8 sold for ($12758) yesterday.

8802674157_518dd243f6_b_d.jpg

Looks way better than the Pedigree 9.8. Nice book! (thumbs u

Yes it does but to be fair this book does not look like a 9.4. It looks like a 9.8. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that whatever is bringing this book down isn't visible in the front cover scan.

I agree. Can we have a look at the BC?