• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My wife had to sell my ASM collection off to bail me out of jail!

183 posts in this topic

I had to have my wife take my three long boxes of ASM to a local dealer to sell in order for her to come up with the cash to bail me out.

Have you contacted the local dealer to see if you can buy your books back?

Yep, no joke.

And, before anyone asks, let me be clear, I was innocent of all charges.

Yeah, I know, EVERYONE says that. But, in my case, it's the truth & eventually ( after three court appearances spread out over two months ) I was cleared of all charges & the case dismissed.

This all happened beginning back in November & it's a long story, but I'll try to be as brief as possible.

The trouble actually began last summer when I became friends with a woman ( yeah, I know, all too often a guy's troubles always seem to start with a woman, but not in the way you think in this case... ) named Theresa that I'd known casually for about three years since moving into my building ( my wife & I have been separated since 2012 ). And, JUST friends. Platonic friends, because she's gay. And no, I wasn't at all attracted to her. Whatsoever.

So, we just hung out & watched television together, talked & what not.

This went on for about a month or so, then during the hottest portion of the summer, she told me that her AC broke down & she asked me if she & her dog could crash on my couch until it got fixed. By that time, I thought that I knew her well enough & was comfortable enough with her to say yeah. No problem.

But, what I thought would be a night or two turned into a week. And then two. Which turned into a month.

Now, I realize how odd this must sound & believe me, in retrospect, I know now that all sorts of alarm bells should have been going off, but at the time, I was sort of enjoying having the company. It was no big deal.

But then, it began to become to become a nuisance. And I knew that maintenance would have definitely fixed her AC.

And, then, I found out that she was buying people's Adderall & Valium prescriptions & it was all just too shady for me. She'd definitely overstayed her welcome & I told her she had to leave.

I did it as nicely as possible & she seemed cool with it, but guess, what? She wasn't.

I stayed friendly with her, but began to get a strange vibe from her, so I stayed away from her as much as possible.

Fast forward to the beginning of November & she called me & asked me to help her to carry a bunch of boxes of stuff that she'd tried to sell someplace, from the lobby back upstairs to her place on the 11th floor. So, I did. But, while I was doing so she was behaving really hostile toward me & just acting in a really bizarre way, so I just left the stuff at her door & left.

I went back to my place on the 4th floor & stayed there for the rest of the day/night. At that point, it was about four o'clock.

Then, after midnight, I was woken up by loud knocking at my door.

Which, I chose to ignore because I knew that it had to be her after the way that she'd been acting earlier & I wanted nothing more to do with her. But, the knocking just got louder & more persistent so I went to the door & asked who it was. "Theresa," she said.

I told her through the door that I'd talk to her the next day, but she insisted that she just wanted to apologize.

So, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I decided to open my door.

I was promptly greeted by a bunch of cops who forced their way in as soon as I undid my lock & they immediately slapped handcuffs on me while demanding to know "where's the knife!".

Of course, I had absolutely no idea what the hell they were talking about.

I tried to explain to them that I'd been in my apartment all night & that I never left it, but they didn't want to hear anything I said. Not a word. They just told me that I was under arrest for assault with intent to cause bodily harm & menacing with a deadly weapon.

I couldn't even challenge her accusation because she took off as soon as the cops were in my door.

So, I was dragged down to the station, booked, spent the rest of the night in a cell, was given some paperwork to fill out for the public defender's office & then taken before the judge who simply read me my charges & told me that my bail was set at $2500.

I was absolutely stunned.

I had no idea whatsoever that such a thing could happen to someone. In fact, if someone had told me this before it happened to me, I'd have assumed that they were a liar. I thought that prior to being arrested for a crime that someone would have to be brought in for questioning etc. But, I'm living proof that such is definitely NOT the case.

Anyhow, only after appearing before the judge was I given my phone call. With it, I got my wife's voice mail. I left a message & then I was put back into my cell until being transported with a bunch of other men to the county jail.

Where, due to all manner of f**k ups & problems too lengthy & convoluted to go into detail about ( but which included my wife's car being totaled & a subsequent hospital stay by my daughter ), I wound up spending the next 27 days.

And, due to all manner of financial issues that I won't bore you with, I had to have my wife take my three long boxes of ASM to a local dealer to sell in order for her to come up with the cash to bail me out.

Once I got out though, it was very easy to prove my innocence ( even though, as I said earlier, it took three separate court dates to get it done ) because the building I live in has security cameras in all the hallways, stairways & elavators. And the footage proved that I never left my apartment after four o'clock, much less went up to Theresa's apartment at eleven o'clock, broke in, beat her up & held a knife to her throat!

Also, like the lunatic that I learned she was/is, she told several of her neighbors that she split her own lip & left what looked like a cut mark on her neck by using the thin chain from a necklace. One of whom testified for me.

So, you might ask, was she arrested for filing a false police report?

Nope. Because conveniently enough, she had checked herself into our local psych unit when she knew that they were coming to question her about it back in January. And the last I heard, they weren't going to persue a case against her because "she's under a doctor's care for PTSD & other issues". Groovy, huh?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time with this, those that have actually managed to read this far. I just had to get this all off of my chest & vent a bit. And, since it is comics related, this is where I chose to do it.

All I can say is be VERY careful who you befriend. Because there are a people out there who you might think you know & who you like & even try to help out who will turn on you & turn out to be batsh*t crazy.

I stopped reading after that part.

lol

I had to have my wife take my three long boxes of ASM to a local dealer to sell in order for her to come up with the cash to bail me out.

You quoted the words to the wrong blue guy.

:makepoint:

Aggressive behavior! Aggressive behavior!

Aggressive behavior! Aggressive behavior!

restrained.gif

Not to target the OP specifically because there's been worse than this posted here, but I continue to be amazed (and a little shocked) by the personal stuff people share online

Not to target the OP specifically because there's been worse than this posted here, but I continue to be amazed (and a little shocked) by the personal stuff people share online

Its all online one way or the other. All you need is a name, sometimes not even that.

27 days! Wow. That's more time in jail than I've spent all added up! I was found "innocent" all but once. (thumbs u

Closest I've gotten to a jail was when my adult basketball league team played the inmates. I don't know who set up that schedule but it was not a good feeling to hear the door slam shut.

I've also had only one incident that was a far lesser extend to as what you experienced - Ex-wife and I were fighting and she started having a panic attack in the kitchen. She pretty much falls down and starts hyperventilating. She wont respond when I tried to help so I called 911. She yells that I she is ok right after I hit the last 1 so I hang up. Cop shows up a few minutes later and puts me in the back seat of the car while he talks to me ex. I kept thinking "she is pissed and I'm going to jail". Thankfully she told the truth and the cop let me go but even then he kept telling me about domestic abuse penalties. Very scary when you are basically considered guilty until proven innocent when it comes to spouse abuse.

$2500 bail-- don't you need about $250 and a good bail bondsmen to raise that? Not that I ever had to get bail but my understanding is they usually only require 10% collateral. And staying in jail for that long for such a small amount of bail is nuts. Anyone with some decent friends and family should have been able to raise the money at the very least.

I previously represented a kid who was charged with attempted murder and a slew of other charges. I met him at the station shortly after he was arrested and he immediately declared "I'm innocent!" Like you said, the first thought that popped into my head was "yeah, yeah, everyone is innocent. :eyeroll: " but ultimately - he was! I'm talking about a 19 year old kid that was never arrested and never in trouble before. He was charged with attempted murder and accused of strangling his girlfriend and a few other felonies.

How do I know he's innocent? She admitted it on the stand after cross-examination and became a hostile witness.

Turns out that the two of them were out with friends the night before. He got some texts from another girl that the girlfriend didn't like so the next morning, they began to verbally yell at each other in his mother's apt. She began to smash things and scream because she was so angry. They both pushed each other, but nothing more. But I'm sure from the other apts, her angrily screaming sounded terrible so they had called police. When police arrived, they spoke with the two of them separately. She decided to teach him a lesson and made up the strangulation story. That he came up from behind and strangled her. The truth is after their heated argument, she went into the bathroom and was upset so my client went in to console her and hugged her telling her everything will be ok. Out of anger, she BIT HIM in his chest taking some skin with her so he couldn't be behind her! He pushed her off and police arrived. Ultimately the charges were dismissed, but it took her getting on the stand and admitting on cross that she lied. It came out very angrily and she had some choice words for me. After a brief recess, the ADA dismissed the charges. Nothing ever happened to her. meh

People can say whatever they want and police have to make a judgment call. Sometimes they get it wrong and it's a terrible mistake.

Imagine never being arrested or in trouble your entire life and you get into an argument with your girlfriend that results in an attempted murder charge and being locked up for a few weeks. :ohnoez:

Cases like this, albeit not this serious of accusations, happen all the time in court. Never underestimate the value of a good defense lawyer. ;)

This kind of thing would not happen in the UK.

You need a letter from God and the police handing you the offensive weapon before anyone gets arrested for this kind of thing. :sorry:

No kidding... I had someone throw a beer bottle at me and when it missed he picked up the neck and took five swipes at me with it. Cops came, took statements from myself and the dozen or so people present, told me to wait for them to call. Three weeks later, no charges as he's a meth addict and I "provoked him because" I "asked him to stop smoking on the station". I work for a train company...this happens almost weekly on my line and I'm suburban/metro. People in town need effing stab vests (not really, and even if they did, this chicken company would make us pay for them). I have tons more stories. Maybe I ought to hook up with an artist... ;)

To bluerosekiller: I hope you can get the books back! I hope you can get the mojo for collecting back, too!

James

$2500 bail-- don't you need about $250 and a good bail bondsmen to raise that? Not that I ever had to get bail but my understanding is they usually only require 10% collateral. And staying in jail for that long for such a small amount of bail is nuts. Anyone with some decent friends and family should have been able to raise the money at the very least.

this is also my understanding, but if you have zero experience with this type of thing, you often have no idea how to go about doing this (though asking literally ANY other inmate would probably help) or what the costs might be. Additionally, you might be surprised at how difficult it can sometimes be to even raise the seemingly smallest of bail amounts, as many people who are arrested (rightly or wrongly) or in difficult financial situations.

As for them not talking your statement, while this might be the scariest thing that will happen to someone in their life to be arrested, it's barely a blip on the radar for most detectives. Sadly, these assaults (and/or fake accusations) are far too common. It would 'make sense' for them to take your statement to hopefully sort it out, like you see in the movies/tv, but having someone on police take your statement is not one of your 'Miranda rights', although it might be a 'best practice'. Of course as we all know now there's a very big difference between how police probably should act, and how they are legally required to act.

Hopefully, you're getting good advice from a lawyer and can take action for everything you are owed and damages, and that the false accuser gets whats coming to her (hopefully some type of hospitalization and/or criminal charges).

Best wishes

Lesson learned: never speak to anyone, ever.

this runs through my head 8-10x per day.

Its just not worth it to talk to anyone.

I previously represented a kid who was charged with attempted murder and a slew of other charges. I met him at the station shortly after he was arrested and he immediately declared "I'm innocent!" Like you said, the first thought that popped into my head was "yeah, yeah, everyone is innocent. :eyeroll: " but ultimately - he was! I'm talking about a 19 year old kid that was never arrested and never in trouble before. He was charged with attempted murder and accused of strangling his girlfriend and a few other felonies.

How do I know he's innocent? She admitted it on the stand after cross-examination and became a hostile witness.

Turns out that the two of them were out with friends the night before. He got some texts from another girl that the girlfriend didn't like so the next morning, they began to verbally yell at each other in his mother's apt. She began to smash things and scream because she was so angry. They both pushed each other, but nothing more. But I'm sure from the other apts, her angrily screaming sounded terrible so they had called police. When police arrived, they spoke with the two of them separately. She decided to teach him a lesson and made up the strangulation story. That he came up from behind and strangled her. The truth is after their heated argument, she went into the bathroom and was upset so my client went in to console her and hugged her telling her everything will be ok. Out of anger, she BIT HIM in his chest taking some skin with her so he couldn't be behind her! He pushed her off and police arrived. Ultimately the charges were dismissed, but it took her getting on the stand and admitting on cross that she lied. It came out very angrily and she had some choice words for me. After a brief recess, the ADA dismissed the charges. Nothing ever happened to her. meh

People can say whatever they want and police have to make a judgment call. Sometimes they get it wrong and it's a terrible mistake.

Imagine never being arrested or in trouble your entire life and you get into an argument with your girlfriend that results in an attempted murder charge and being locked up for a few weeks. :ohnoez:

Cases like this, albeit not this serious of accusations, happen all the time in court. Never underestimate the value of a good defense lawyer. ;)

You need a letter from God and the police handing you the offensive weapon before anyone gets arrested for this kind of thing. :sorry:

No kidding... I had someone throw a beer bottle at me and when it missed he picked up the neck and took five swipes at me with it. Cops came, took statements from myself and the dozen or so people present, told me to wait for them to call. Three weeks later, no charges as he's a meth addict and I "provoked him because" I "asked him to stop smoking on the station". I work for a train company...this happens almost weekly on my line and I'm suburban/metro. People in town need effing stab vests (not really, and even if they did, this chicken company would make us pay for them). I have tons more stories. Maybe I ought to hook up with an artist... ;)

To bluerosekiller: I hope you can get the books back! I hope you can get the mojo for collecting back, too!

James

I hear ya. People can terrorise you, abuse you, even almost kill you here. Unless you have a witness you're screwed. The only time the police actually do anything is if someone is actually murdered. The legal sysyem here is sh*t. The UK is literally the modern day version of Dodge City nowadays...at least it seems like that most of the time. Of course steal a packet of sweets from Tesco and they lock you up and throw away the key, but mugging old ladies is fine.

James

I hear ya. People can terrorise you, abuse you, even almost kill you here. Unless you have a witness you're screwed. The only time the police actually do anything is if someone is actually murdered. The legal sysyem here is sh*t. The UK is literally the modern day version of Dodge City nowadays...at least it seems like that most of the time. Of course steal a packet of sweets from Tesco and they lock you up and throw away the key, but mugging old ladies is fine.

Damn coppers!

Yep, no joke.

And, before anyone asks, let me be clear, I was innocent of all charges.

Yeah, I know, EVERYONE says that. But, in my case, it's the truth & eventually ( after three court appearances spread out over two months ) I was cleared of all charges & the case dismissed.

This all happened beginning back in November & it's a long story, but I'll try to be as brief as possible.

The trouble actually began last summer when I became friends with a woman ( yeah, I know, all too often a guy's troubles always seem to start with a woman, but not in the way you think in this case... ) named Theresa that I'd known casually for about three years since moving into my building ( my wife & I have been separated since 2012 ). And, JUST friends. Platonic friends, because she's gay. And no, I wasn't at all attracted to her. Whatsoever.

So, we just hung out & watched television together, talked & what not.

This went on for about a month or so, then during the hottest portion of the summer, she told me that her AC broke down & she asked me if she & her dog could crash on my couch until it got fixed. By that time, I thought that I knew her well enough & was comfortable enough with her to say yeah. No problem.

But, what I thought would be a night or two turned into a week. And then two. Which turned into a month.

Now, I realize how odd this must sound & believe me, in retrospect, I know now that all sorts of alarm bells should have been going off, but at the time, I was sort of enjoying having the company. It was no big deal.

But then, it began to become to become a nuisance. And I knew that maintenance would have definitely fixed her AC.

And, then, I found out that she was buying people's Adderall & Valium prescriptions & it was all just too shady for me. She'd definitely overstayed her welcome & I told her she had to leave.

I did it as nicely as possible & she seemed cool with it, but guess, what? She wasn't.

I stayed friendly with her, but began to get a strange vibe from her, so I stayed away from her as much as possible.

Fast forward to the beginning of November & she called me & asked me to help her to carry a bunch of boxes of stuff that she'd tried to sell someplace, from the lobby back upstairs to her place on the 11th floor. So, I did. But, while I was doing so she was behaving really hostile toward me & just acting in a really bizarre way, so I just left the stuff at her door & left.

I went back to my place on the 4th floor & stayed there for the rest of the day/night. At that point, it was about four o'clock.

Then, after midnight, I was woken up by loud knocking at my door.

Which, I chose to ignore because I knew that it had to be her after the way that she'd been acting earlier & I wanted nothing more to do with her. But, the knocking just got louder & more persistent so I went to the door & asked who it was. "Theresa," she said.

I told her through the door that I'd talk to her the next day, but she insisted that she just wanted to apologize.

So, like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, I decided to open my door.

I was promptly greeted by a bunch of cops who forced their way in as soon as I undid my lock & they immediately slapped handcuffs on me while demanding to know "where's the knife!".

Of course, I had absolutely no idea what the hell they were talking about.

I tried to explain to them that I'd been in my apartment all night & that I never left it, but they didn't want to hear anything I said. Not a word. They just told me that I was under arrest for assault with intent to cause bodily harm & menacing with a deadly weapon.

I couldn't even challenge her accusation because she took off as soon as the cops were in my door.

So, I was dragged down to the station, booked, spent the rest of the night in a cell, was given some paperwork to fill out for the public defender's office & then taken before the judge who simply read me my charges & told me that my bail was set at $2500.

I was absolutely stunned.

I had no idea whatsoever that such a thing could happen to someone. In fact, if someone had told me this before it happened to me, I'd have assumed that they were a liar. I thought that prior to being arrested for a crime that someone would have to be brought in for questioning etc. But, I'm living proof that such is definitely NOT the case.

Anyhow, only after appearing before the judge was I given my phone call. With it, I got my wife's voice mail. I left a message & then I was put back into my cell until being transported with a bunch of other men to the county jail.

Where, due to all manner of f**k ups & problems too lengthy & convoluted to go into detail about ( but which included my wife's car being totaled & a subsequent hospital stay by my daughter ), I wound up spending the next 27 days.

And, due to all manner of financial issues that I won't bore you with, I had to have my wife take my three long boxes of ASM to a local dealer to sell in order for her to come up with the cash to bail me out.

Once I got out though, it was very easy to prove my innocence ( even though, as I said earlier, it took three separate court dates to get it done ) because the building I live in has security cameras in all the hallways, stairways & elavators. And the footage proved that I never left my apartment after four o'clock, much less went up to Theresa's apartment at eleven o'clock, broke in, beat her up & held a knife to her throat!

Also, like the lunatic that I learned she was/is, she told several of her neighbors that she split her own lip & left what looked like a cut mark on her neck by using the thin chain from a necklace. One of whom testified for me.

So, you might ask, was she arrested for filing a false police report?

Nope. Because conveniently enough, she had checked herself into our local psych unit when she knew that they were coming to question her about it back in January. And the last I heard, they weren't going to persue a case against her because "she's under a doctor's care for PTSD & other issues". Groovy, huh?

Sorry for taking up so much of your time with this, those that have actually managed to read this far. I just had to get this all off of my chest & vent a bit. And, since it is comics related, this is where I chose to do it.

All I can say is be VERY careful who you befriend. Because there are a people out there who you might think you know & who you like & even try to help out who will turn on you & turn out to be batsh*t crazy.

But seriously, how you dodged a felony delivery and conspiracy charge on this is just shocking.

James

Damn coppers!

lol That's a very old fashioned nickname nowadays, more popular ones here are the filth, the bizzies, 5-O, the old bill, the matrix and the evergreen 'the pigs', and there are many more :grin: