• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2022 at 10:30 AM, Crimebuster said:

Are we supposed to pretend Zack Snyder didn't make a Batman movie now? It was literally the last film version of Batman, so I think comparisons are more than fair. The Batman doesn't exist in a vacuum. It exists within the context of all the previous Batman movies. 

I swear, every thread in this whole movie section is you guys just arguing your goofy Marvel vs. DC and Release the Snyder Cut agendas like 8 year olds on a playground. 

We get it, you have a hate-boner for the guy. lol

On 4/19/2022 at 6:39 PM, media_junkie said:

While I know that this movie has made money for the studio (3.8x production budget), it failed to reach the monetary levels of Batman V Superman (is sitting about $120 million behind, which it will not fully make up since it has gone to streaming).  Since Batman got top billing in BvS and also was in at least 1/2 the movie, I'd say it was at least as much a Batman movie as it was a Superman movie.  So serious question, is the "studio" (especially the new owners) disappointed in how this film did?  I mean Spiderman did damn near $2 billion, so I dare anyone to throw out the "pandamic thing", that excuse is played.  I feel that Dr. Strange is going to make at least $1 Billion, so why didn't Batman, the flagship DC character not make $1 Billion, or even beat the box office of the last "Batman" film in 2016?

Shouldn't be, but this is the same studio that blindly/randomly 'demanded' that BvS do $1 billion, so who really knows?

On 4/20/2022 at 1:39 AM, media_junkie said:

I mean Spiderman did damn near $2 billion, so I dare anyone to throw out the "pandamic thing", that excuse is played.  I feel that Dr. Strange is going to make at least $1 Billion, so why didn't Batman, the flagship DC character not make $1 Billion, or even beat the box office of the last "Batman" film in 2016?

No Way Home wasn’t the best Spider-man movie and it wasn’t even the best of the current trilogy. 2 billion easy. Stars aligned. This new Batman movie was better than BvS but will not hit a billion. Those trailers will not appeal to kids like Spider-Man does. Parents are not taking their kids to see the Riddler murder people. They want to see Spider-Man beating up bad guys. In the end, how many of us really care about any films box office ranking? It’s not a conversation I have with my kids or anyone outside these boards really. I just want a great flick. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:14 AM, ▫️ said:

In the end, how many of us really care about any films box office ranking?

Only people that want to use it as a metric of "failure" or "success".

The art (in its entirety) is what matters to me, and most people.

BvS? Love it, want more, clearly made money. The Batman? Meh, other people want more, clearly made money.

On 4/20/2022 at 4:35 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Only people that want to use it as a metric of "failure" or "success".

The art (in its entirety) is what matters to me, and most people.

BvS? Love it, want more, clearly made money. The Batman? Meh, other people want more, clearly made money.

Agreed. Clearly, box office does not equate to the quality of the film. Or movies like Shawshank Redemption would be billion dollar films instead of robots fighting or fast cars. There are smart guys/gals out there that know how to make movies targeted for the masses to get the maximum buck. 

Edited by ▫️

Well, I'm going to give this movie a shot.  I put it that way as I'm the Bizarro superhero movie fan.  I HATE the Nolan Batman movies (literally nothing I like about them, not even Heath as the Joker).  As bad as both Suicide Squad movies were (hate them both), I enjoyed Leto's Joker more than any other portrayal.  I enjoyed Aquaman and Shazam the most of all the DC movies except for.............B vs S.  I actually love that movie, and Afflek is by far the best Batman portrayal so far.

So I'm going to watch this new Batman movie...and am prepared to hate it too ;)

On 4/20/2022 at 11:35 AM, davidpg said:
  • I HATE the Nolan Batman movies (literally nothing I like about them, not even Heath as the Joker).
  • I enjoyed Leto's Joker more than any other portrayal.
  • I enjoyed Aquaman and Shazam the most of all the DC movies
  • except for.............B vs S.  I actually love that movie, and Afflek is by far the best Batman portrayal so far.
  • :whatthe:
  • :cloud9:

On 4/20/2022 at 11:45 AM, shadroch said:

This Batman movie sucks. No other way to say it. It's disjointed and boring.  Save your time and money.

Precisely what I'm expecting.  I'll do it as an experiment though nonetheless.  While drinking.

On 4/20/2022 at 8:47 AM, davidpg said:

Precisely what I'm expecting.  I'll do it as an experiment though nonetheless.  While drinking.

I like Batman.  I liked every movie except for the one with the Penguin.  I don't know who Robert Patterson is, except he was in a series of movies I have not seen. 

I was looking forward to watching this, and I cleared three hours to do so.  Thirty minutes in, I was on my laptop. An hour in and I was picture in picture with CNN. 

I was quite disappointed. 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I think that you will enjoy at least 10 minutes of it.

I'm trying to think if there was a ten minute segment that I enjoyed, and I can't think of one. The movie had some good parts but they were few and far between. I think I could gobble together ten minutes of decent action, but not of storyline. I'd have walked out but it was my living room.

Edited by shadroch

On 4/20/2022 at 12:14 PM, shadroch said:

I'm trying to think if there was a ten minute segment that I enjoyed, and I can't think of one. The movie had some good parts but they were few and far between. I think I could gobble together ten minutes of decent action, but not of storyline. I'd have walked out but it was my living room.

I'm not sure if there's a full 10-minute scene that excites me, but there are 3 scenes that are definitely worth the price of admission, IMO.

On 4/20/2022 at 11:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm not sure if there's a full 10-minute scene that excites me, but there are 3 scenes that are definitely worth the price of admission, IMO.

Overall, I thought it was a dud, except the car chase and when Catwoman went undercover with Batman in her ear.

I know I've slipped into bad habits recently when watching new films at home. For The Batman I wanted to see it the old fashioned way and went to the cinema and absolutely loved it. 

I totally get some of the criticism highlighted about the running time etc but I felt like I really got into the style of the film, the slow burn, the great Giacchino score running through it and the idea this was still a Batman in development (career wise).

The sound when the Batmobile fired up was deafening, it was amazing! That whole chase just gave me a big grin as it was so absurdly loud. Pattinson was a good Batman too, I enjoyed his approach of just tanking his way through places when he needed to and it was nice to see that close relationship with the GCPD (for good or bad) that hasn't been seen much on film.

I would certainly change a few things but overall this was a great DC film.

Finally watched it, enjoyed it for the most part but agree the first third of the movie was the strongest. Showing how criminals react to shadows and the signal was perhaps the standout moment, an idea so simple and tied to the character but something previous movies just seemed to mentioned in off hand comments about criminals fearing him. You love to see it in action.

The aesthetic was great, but after an hour or so I felt it was 'too much sauce / of a good thing' and I found myself wishing for a blue sky or some other dash of color or proper lighting (especially in the hospital scenes with Alfred - we don't need hospitals lit like a damn run down asylum). The only immediate issue I found with it was that I felt it 100% could have done without any Joker references at the end - it's okay to let the audience get excited naturally for more, we don't need to be spoon-fed the next possible in universe development. Let the film marinate in our minds, letting imagination go wild with possibilities of future villains at this point.

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 4/20/2022 at 8:26 PM, Sauce Dog said:

The only immediate issue I found with it was that I felt it 100% could have done without any Joker references at the end - it's okay to let the audience get excited naturally for more, we don't need to be spoon-fed the next possible in universe development. Let the film marinate in our minds, letting imagination go wild with possibilities of future villains at this point.

Agreed, that was one of the things I would of preferred to see dropped. A hint of his existence without seeing/hearing him would of been enough, then leave it be until maybe another film or 2 goes by.

I watched it last night with my kid.  Overall it was an above average movie.  Maybe 6/10.  It was a bit too long for my taste and Batman was a bit too mopey for my taste.  My son said it would have worked better if they had a teenage Batman with the way he was acting and I can’t disagree.  The redeeming feature was that he realized that being this mopey vengeful hero wasn’t going to make the city a better place and he had to give it hope instead.  Interested to see where they go with this if they do a sequel.