• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 4/24/2022 at 3:48 AM, kav said:

Youre saying if I watch 20 minutes of Manos Hands of Fate I cant make any legitimate conclusions about that film?

I don’t know what that is. I’m just saying twenty minutes of a three hour movie is inconclusive. I’ve seen movies that started off bad and ended up being great and vice versa. I completely respect that you didn’t like the opening and gave up but you can’t give a legitimate argument that the film in its entirety is bad until you’ve seen it. Twenty minutes was the opening scene where the first murder occurs and Batman makes his first appearance. It was perfectly fine. I found things to criticize later on but the opening was well done. 

Edited by ▫️

I just looked up the Manos movie as it sounded familiar. The movie was an hour long. You watched around a tenth of The Batman. I’m not saying you should go in and watch it because if you hated the opening, odds are you may not like the rest. I enjoyed it and watched it in parts like I did with The Irishman. 

I'm trying to think of a movie that I thought sucked at the 20 minute mark but that redeemed itself afterward. 2001 comes to mind, but the beginning was more odd than sucky. 

Everyones experiance is different so if someone can give me an example that fits the bill, I'm open to suggestions.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:22 PM, shadroch said:

I'm trying to think of a movie that I thought sucked at the 20 minute mark but that redeemed itself afterward. 2001 comes to mind, but the beginning was more odd than sucky. 

Everyones experiance is different so if someone can give me an example that fits the bill, I'm open to suggestions.

Off the top of my head, You’re Next. Probably because I saw it again last month. And I skipped the first half hour because it was just grueling. But as soon as that first attack happens through the window, it is on.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:22 AM, shadroch said:

Reddit had a discussion about this that led into a Screenrant article.

10 Great Movies That Start Off Weak

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Reddit user StudBoi 69 states, "Hot Fuzz starts out as merely an amusing fish-out-of-the-water cop comedy, but evolves into balls to the walls homage to classic cop action movies." Hot Fuzz does indeed begin rather derivatively, with a hotshot London police officer finding himself out of place within the quiet confines of sleepy Sandford.

It's nothing people haven't seen before. But then the Edgar Wright-isms begin in earnest, and the movie becomes one of the funniest buddy cop comedies of all time.

Have to agree on this one. It starts off as an oddball comedy that turns into something fun and funnier. 

On 4/24/2022 at 3:29 AM, ▫️ said:

Off the top of my head, You’re Next. Probably because I saw it again last month. And I skipped the first half hour because it was just grueling. But as soon as that first attack happens through the window, it is on.

Never heard of it. Is it a Bill Goldberg biopic?

Edited by shadroch

On 4/24/2022 at 4:05 PM, shadroch said:

Never heard of it. Is it a Bill Goldberg biopic?

Came out in 2013. Overshadowed by Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and Skyfall. Not a bad little movie, actually beat Skyfall’s domestic box office when I looked up movies for that year.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:22 AM, shadroch said:

I'd nominate Predestination (with Ethan Hawke).

Absolutely brilliantly written, but after the opening scene, the next 45 minutes is 100% exposition - just two people talking in a bar. Could lose a *lot* of people before the plot kicks into high gear. But if you stick with it, it's phenomenal.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

FTFY. :)

This.

Constantine is decent as a stand-alone movie if you've never read the book. Even Shia LaBeouf does a decent job.

But as a Hellblazer adaptation, it's hot garbage.

On 4/24/2022 at 6:03 PM, Gatsby77 said:

This.

Constantine is decent as a stand-alone movie if you've never read the book. Even Shia LaBeouf does a decent job.

I’ve never read the books but I have enjoyed the character in those animated flicks like Justice League Dark.

On 4/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

FTFY. :)

On 4/24/2022 at 11:03 AM, Gatsby77 said:

This.

I understand how you can allow yourself to get wrapped in a towel of indifference because a movie doesn't 100% match how you want to see a story told.

But in this case it was an Elseworlds story based on Hellblazer #41 through 46 (Dangerous Habits) where Constantine finds out he has terminal lung cancer. It also referenced the Jamie Delano Original Sins storyline from Hellblazer #1 through 9 involving Papa Midnite though in the movie he is more a middle ground character than a villain. So to say it was garbage you may miss these references.

But to each their own.

On 4/24/2022 at 11:39 AM, Bosco685 said:

I understand how you can allow yourself to get wrapped in a towel of indifference because a movie doesn't 100% match how you want to see a story told.

But in this case it was an Elseworlds story based on Hellblazer #41 through 46 (Dangerous Habits) where Constantine finds out he has terminal lung cancer. It also referenced the Jamie Delano Original Sins storyline from Hellblazer #1 through 9 involving Papa Midnite though in the movie he is more a middle ground character than a villain. So to say it was garbage you may miss these references.

But to each their own.

Umm…

No it was largely based on Dangerous Habits.

But it was about as garbage an adaptation of that brilliant storyline as X-Men: The Last Stand was to the Dark Phoenix saga.

I’m not talking about “Constantine’s neither British nor blonde” - I’m taking about - it was an affront to Garth Ennis’s masterpiece of a story.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 4/24/2022 at 12:09 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Umm…

No it was largely based on Dangerous Habits.

But it was about as garbage an adaptation of that brilliant storyline as X-Men: The Last Stand was to the Dark Phoenix saga.

I’m not talking about “Constantine’s neither British nor blonde” - I’m taking about - it was an affront to Garth Ennis’s masterpiece of a story.

Ummmm....

You are more drama than fact at times. But have at it. Ummmm.

:roflmao:

On 4/24/2022 at 12:18 PM, Bosco685 said:

Ummmm....

You are more drama than fact at times. But have at it. Ummmm.

:roflmao:

And you continue to not just accept but defend mediocrity in comic book films that deserve better - and seem to get mad defensive whenever anybody notes the emperor has no clothes, or even says they deigned to dislike a film.

On 4/24/2022 at 12:22 PM, Gatsby77 said:

And you continue to not just accept but defend mediocrity in comic book films that deserve better - and seem to get mad defensive whenever anybody notes the emperor has no clothes, or even says they deigned to dislike a film.

Ummmm...

umadbro.gif.c468e0945d0457e4467edee40a0ee237.gif

:baiting: