• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

Watched it last night expecting to hate it - not a Robert Pattinson fan, didn't like the aesthetic of the trailers, sick of screenwriters/directors missing out on the essence of Batman (looking at you Nolan and Snyder). Gotta say, I was blown away how good it was. Not used to seeing a take on an early/younger Batman, but I really feel like they nailed it. Loved how outwardly and vocally averse Batman was to guns (unlike Batfleck). Loved the batmobile. Loved just about every actor in pretty much every role. Was totally fine with the runtime - felt like I was binging my favorite show (incidentally, this would be an awesome 10 episode HBO show). Between this and Peacemaker, I'm hopeful for DC for the first time in a long time.

On 4/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Above average" is 6/10 for you?

I ask because I find that odd, usually inferring "above average" to mean 7.1+.

You 9.8 collectors and your "that's my low-end bar"

:baiting:

The fact that Marvel fan boys are on this thread trying to justify slander against this particular movie tells you that DC is back on track. Kevin Feige rewatches this movie over and over in his nightmares. I love all comic movies if they're good, irrespective of publisher basis. 

That being said, Marvel couldn't make a movie this well acted, directed, gripping and emotional if they had EVERY A list actor available for 1 film. This film was essentially a masterclass on storytelling through film.

The only 2 gripes I had were Pattinsons initial facial expressions whilst visiting Alfred in the hospital, and the Bat music soundly vaguely similar to Vaders entry from Star Wars. Other than that... exemplary.

Have to put it up there with:

Watchmen

Dark Knight

Batman 1989

Guardians of the Galaxy

Sin City

On 4/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, paperheart said:

Due to run time, decided to wait for HBO Max. About an hour and a half in, I was loving it; the whole Seven-ish vibe was great. Was thinking I needed to see it on the big screen.  Then at about 2 hours in the movie ended, or should have but didn't. The last act was terrible. 8/10 & 2/10

Just curious... what about the last hour of this movie was 4 times worse than the first 2 hours? This oughtta be good...

On 4/21/2022 at 4:14 PM, Joshua33 said:

@shadrochprobably thought Eternals and Shang Chi were gripping pictures. 

I thought Eternals was bad and won't watch Shang Chi. 

As I said, I had high hopes for this movie and wish I could say it was great. Or good, or even watchable. 

On 4/21/2022 at 5:29 PM, paperheart said:

typical action movie stupidity and it was completely superfluous; added nothing and subtracted greatly from the whole 2c

Ummm... Resolving the plot, unmasking the Riddler (the films main antagonist), the awesome pitch black Hallway fight by gunlight, Selina gaining closure with Falcone, the introduction of the Joker, and mainly...Batman gaining the trust of Gothamites by saving the city, changing their view of him as a mere vigilante... all of this happened in the last hour.  Superfluous? I have a different understanding of what that word means. 2c

On 4/21/2022 at 8:13 PM, Joshua33 said:

Ummm... Resolving the plot, unmasking the Riddler (the films main antagonist), the awesome pitch black Hallway fight by gunlight, Selina gaining closure with Falcone, the introduction of the Joker, and mainly...Batman gaining the trust of Gothamites by saving the city, changing their view of him as a mere vigilante... all of this happened in the last hour.  Superfluous? I have a different understanding of what that word means. 2c

and there the film should have ended. the preposterous gun fight and  the Batman seemingly committing suicide and 'saving' the soaking wet citizens and the promo for the next movie were fatuous nonsense. 2c

Edited by paperheart

On 4/21/2022 at 8:20 PM, paperheart said:

and there the film should have ended. the preposterous gun fight and  the Batman seemingly committing suicide and 'saving' the soaking wet citizens and the promo for the next movie were fatuous nonsense. 2c

Different strokes? (shrug) Sounds to me like somebody drank 5 gallons of Hater-ade.

:flamethrower:

Paperheart= Kevin Feige burner

Just my 2c. The movie did almost put me to sleep a few times; that being said, I'm not as eager to sit through a long film as I was a few decades ago. In fairness, I can say the same about the latest spider-man.

Things I liked: I liked the cinematography, and soundtrack. Soundtrack made me think of spaghetti westerns in the 70s. It felt very dark and moody and epic. My nephew said there was a lot more information tied into the Gotham tv show, which I haven't watched much. I liked this spin on the Riddler. I like that he had some major motivation beyond falling into a vat of acid or something silly like that. On the other hand, he was kind of a Jigsaw clone. I preferred watching the Saw series, and almost wished Jigsaw had been the villain, instead.

What I didn't like. Felt it was laboriously long and dragged on and on, with many irrelevant plot points and difficult to pick up on backstory. I didn't really buy into the Zoe Kravitz and Pattinson chemistry. Didn't care much for her take on catwoman. Found Pattinson's almost complete lack of dialogue to be more annoying than enigmatic. When he did speak, it didn't strike me as someone very intimidating at all.  Didn't really find his taking on the mantle very appealing. I've seen the big flashy car and sound effects already in Dark Knight, which in my opinion was miles better. I was looking forward to the Joker cameo I had heard about. It was more like Mr Mind talking to Sivana in prison. Pretty boring. 

I hope they leave this film as more of an elseworlds interpretation, rather than a trilogy. And putting Jared Leto's Joker up against Pattinson's Batman, would seem more appropriate than Juaquin Pheonix. That would be a colossal mismatch in acting chops and character development, IMO.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 4/21/2022 at 7:24 PM, Joshua33 said:

The fact that Marvel fan boys are on this thread trying to justify slander against this particular movie tells you that DC is back on track. Kevin Feige rewatches this movie over and over in his nightmares. I love all comic movies if they're good, irrespective of publisher basis. 

That being said, Marvel couldn't make a movie this well acted, directed, gripping and emotional if they had EVERY A list actor available for 1 film. This film was essentially a masterclass on storytelling through film.

Kevin Feige isn't a factor in the Marvel vs DC discussion. He likes DC just like any other comic book nerd.

Also, The Batman is not as good as a handful of MCU films, at best. Flicks like Infinity War and The Winter Soldier are easily better. We gotta stop using "master" to describe movies, because this wasn't it.

On 4/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Kevin Feige isn't a factor in the Marvel vs DC discussion. He likes DC just like any other comic book nerd.

Also, The Batman is not as good as a handful of MCU films, at best. Flicks like Infinity War and The Winter Soldier are easily better. We gotta stop using "master" to describe movies, because this wasn't it.

Tell him how many times you went to the theater to see Avengers: Endgame though it wasn't masterpiece material. That will drive the point home. And Captain Marvel too just to confirm you didn't care for it.

Disney Accounting Dept. special note:

Disney_thanks.gif.a7699d72bdb5e3991e57f92004c89853.gif

:baiting:

On 4/22/2022 at 6:49 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

And this is true. No matter how much MCU hardcore fans post statements about Feige laughing at DC films. He's so serious about this, he even put THE HAT on when stating it.

And his model he bases part of the MCU framework on - Superman: The Movie.