• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Dude what are you talking about?  Quit trying  to gaslight my posts like that joker with the "dot" for a username always does. 

What I said, when Batman under performed when it first came out, was that its financials were barely "meh", given that he is DC's biggest character by far.  I continued to say the same week after week as it continued to be nothing better than a distinctly mediocre performer.  

Only now that it is officially done have I said that it, in fact , UNDER performed , to what it should have done, as the "best batman eva" that caught every break from a wiide open  schedule for a month, to a China release, to the breathless critical raves that I linked early.  It had EVERY possible benefit to actually be a big hit, but alas, it failed.  

And now we see the full picture of its failure on that front as a marvel C lister in a "whatever" filler movie just dwarfed its opening numbers BY A LOT, which I actually said would happen even before DS2's first tracking numbers were released.  

Unlike some people around here, I actually keep my statements and analytics consistent.  (thumbsu

-J.

The only question I have on the analytics of how much money it made is the HBO Max factor.  When I heard, "three hours long" this honestly kept me out of the theater.  I had no desire to sit in a theater for three hours and pay almost $20 to see a movie that I could watch from home "for free" forty five days later. 

To be fair, I did not see Eternals, Black Widow, nor Shang Chi in the movie theaters either.  Spider-man I saw because... "Spider-man" and Dr. Strange was sort of at a whim when I saw that I could still get tickets for opening day and get really nice seats.  My theater was also kind of empty. 

The turnaround times are so short these days that I feel I can honestly wait for most movies to come out.

I wonder how many people feel the same.  I also wonder if the run time to Batman was a deterrent given that people knew that they could watch it in the comfort of their own home a mere month and change later. 

Are these quick turnaround times contributing to the dollar performance at a notable scale? 

On 5/8/2022 at 3:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

The only question I have on the analytics of how much money it made is the HBO Max factor.  When I heard, "three hours long" this honestly kept me out of the theater.  I had no desire to sit in a theater for three hours and pay almost $20 to see a movie that I could watch from home "for free" forty five days later. 

To be fair, I did not see Eternals, Black Widow, nor Shang Chi in the movie theaters either.  Spider-man I saw because... "Spider-man" and Dr. Strange was sort of at a whim when I saw that I could still get tickets for opening day and get really nice seats.  My theater was also kind of empty. 

The turnaround times are so short these days that I feel I can honestly wait for most movies to come out.

I wonder how many people feel the same.  I also wonder if the run time to Batman was a deterrent given that people knew that they could watch it in the comfort of their own home a mere month and change later. 

Are these quick turnaround times contributing to the dollar performance at a notable scale? 

+1 exactly

On 5/8/2022 at 4:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

Based on the fact that it was free with my HBO subscription (through Crave TV in Canada) right away, I do not think it made a lot via streaming. This is where studios are stuck, to be honest. The need to keep adding new content to retain subcribers right now appears to be more important than extending the box office through streaming. Personally, I think they are better off making it free right away to keep subscribers as the monthly recurring revenue from 76.8M subscribers for even one month >>>>>> than adding another $10-$20M from streaming purchases for your top comic property movie.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Unlike some people around here, I actually keep my statements and analytics consistent.  (thumbsu

Except you don't.

QED - your statement about a month ago, "I don't comment on the quality of movies" - followed the next week by "Suicide Squad, a truly horrible movie" and (as Bosco pointed out) your anti-Spider-verse comments that started *months* before the film was even released - that have continued years later despite its objective - and overwhelming - success ("nobody cares about Academy Awards" or "cartoons"), to stating how "boring" you thought The Batman's first hour was when you (apparently finally) deigned to check it out on HBO Max (like...apparently *many* posters here - including Sharon & myself).

And...even if we go with just financials - which should be far more "objective" or "consistent" you twisted yourself into hilarious knots trying to argue how Aquaman was an abject financial failure theatrically - despite grossing $335 million domestically and $1.15 million worldwide.

But go on...keep doing you - someone's gotta' keep the Silvermane flame alive.

And Jay? I, at least, am here to listen to your grievances.

I promise I won't put you on ignore, although I can't promise I won't laugh...

On 5/8/2022 at 7:40 PM, kimik said:

Based on the fact that it was free with my HBO subscription (through Crave TV in Canada) right away, I do not think it made a lot via streaming. This is where studios are stuck, to be honest. The need to keep adding new content to retain subcribers right now appears to be more important than extending the box office through streaming. Personally, I think they are better off making it free right away to keep subscribers as the monthly recurring revenue from 76.8M subscribers for even one month >>>>>> than adding another $10-$20M from streaming purchases for your top comic property movie.

I will give you one better.

I subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and Apple+ and pay $63 a month for high speed internet access through a major company. 

Yet...

I have a full cable package with HBO, Showtime, Stars and all, Peacock for (WWE) and Hulu.

They are not really making anything off of me.  

On 5/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Except you don't.

QED - your statement about a month ago, "I don't comment on the quality of movies" - followed the next week by "Suicide Squad, a truly horrible movie" and (as Bosco pointed out) your anti-Spider-verse comments that started *months* before the film was even released - that have continued years later despite its objective - and overwhelming - success ("nobody cares about Academy Awards" or "cartoons"), to stating how "boring" you thought The Batman's first hour was when you (apparently finally) deigned to check it out on HBO Max (like...apparently *many* posters here - including Sharon & myself).

And...even if we go with just financials - which should be far more "objective" or "consistent" you twisted yourself into hilarious knots trying to argue how Aquaman was an abject financial failure theatrically - despite grossing $335 million domestically and $1.15 million worldwide.

But go on...keep doing you - someone's gotta' keep the Silvermane flame alive.

And Jay? I, at least, am here to listen to your grievances.

I promise I won't put you on ignore, although I can't promise I won't laugh...

You're gaslighting again.  I NEVER said aquaman was an "abject failure".  I did say it was an over bloated monstrosity, which it is.  But here's a crew challenge for you- link to where I called aquaman an "abject failure" financially.  Of course you won't because I never did.  I only commented on it's outlandish budget and that itwould probably need to make about a billion dollars to turn a profit.  

And I wasn't too far off from the analysis.  Good for it that it did.  But yeah , it sucked creatively.  

Oops.  Guess I commented on the "quality" of a movie again. Guess you got me there.  As for spider-verse.  Yeah , a 350MM on a `190MM all in ain't close to being an "overwhelming success".  Come on.  :eyeroll: In reality , it didn't break even until it hit home video and caught a following there.  For me , all that says is it only should have been a DTV release in the first place.   (For context , and direct comparisons, venom, which came out the same year as spider-verse, and had a comparable budget, along with a china release as well, both movies did, was, in fact, an "overwhelming success")

I at least know how to be consistent with my financial analytics.  (thumbsu

@Buzzetta Streaming is ancillary revenue and I highly doubt batman helped its cause much with those numbers on HBO.  Streaming subs are actually down pretty much across the board now.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

'Streaming subs are actually down pretty much across the board now'- someone hacked into HBO Max subscriber data :roflmao:

HBO and its HBO Max streaming service ended March with 76.8 million global subscribers, an increase of 3 million after hitting 73.8 million subscribers as of the end of 2021. Apr 21, 2022

On 5/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, paperheart said:
'Streaming subs are actually down pretty much across the board now'- someone hacked into HBO Max subscriber data :roflmao:

HBO and its HBO Max streaming service ended March with 76.8 million global subscribers, an increase of 3 million after hitting 73.8 million subscribers as of the end of 2021. Apr 21, 2022

When are you going to realize you're not very good at this ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/streaming-services-churn-2022-deloitte-1235055461/amp/

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/uk-households-cancel-streaming-subscriptions-record-numbers

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/netflix-monkeyhammered-20-lower-catastrophic-earnings-sees-loss-2-million-subs-q2

Never, I suppose.  

-J.

'across the board':roflmao: When are you going to learn English? Apparently never #mathandenglisharehard

Paramount+ added 6.8 million subscribers last quarter, as Paramount ended the period with 62 million global streaming subs, Paramount Global CEO Bob Bakish said Tuesday as the company reported Q1 2022 results.

Edited by paperheart

On 5/8/2022 at 6:08 PM, paperheart said:

'across the board':roflmao: When are you going to learn English? Apparently never #mathandenglishishard

Try reading more and posting less, bud.

You can start with what I actually posted and then graduate to the articles I linked.  

Enjoy.  (thumbsu

-J.

On 5/8/2022 at 6:51 PM, Buzzetta said:

My only question is why does run time matter when something isn't from Disney? Even when the Snyder Cut came out which has six (6) clear chapter breaks to pause at people couldn't help but complain about the length of the film.

1. Avengers: Endgame with Deleted Scene Addition: 3 hours 13 minutes to ensure it made up for the $4M gap with Avatar's box office, Marvel Studios rereleased this movie within weeks of its release with a Hulk deleted scene. Did people complain? No. They are too well trained now. They rushed back in to hand over their money. Good grief!
  2. Avengers: Endgame - 3 hours 2 minutes and you didn't see all these hobbyist analyst over-assessing. And this film certainly had its challenges with keeping all the pieces together.
  3. Eternals - 2 hours 37 minutes and length of film was not even the complaint. Maybe because it was quality nap time? And even when it went to Disney Plus I didn't read anything about concerns if viewers could sit through the second longest MCU film. It even surpassed Infinity War.
  4. Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Last Jedi - 2 hours 32 minutes as the longest Star Wars movie I think those complaints paled in comparison to the more massive quality concerns.

Maybe it is more about having that studio itch to be scratched in the sub-conscious that people fail to recognize. Not sure. It just would be nice if folks were more consistent with their analysis.

Edited by Bosco685
Forgot about Endgame with even more deleted scene

On 5/8/2022 at 8:57 PM, Jaydogrules said:

?
Facts matter.

The first article is nothing but speculation about the future from Deloitte - a second-tier management consultancy.

More importantly, none of the articles you linked to even mention HBO Max, which - as Paperheart cited, saw impressive growth during the first four months of the year.

*Netflix* - the mature incumbent - is floundering -- largely due to increased competition - from the likes of other streamers like...HBO Max.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 5/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, CGC Mike said:

Lets get back to a more civilized discussion, or more  people will be banned from this topic.  

I think the pandemic has made people even more sensitive to differing opinions or assumed affronts more than ever before.

This weekend I was searching for the Rocky (1976) bluray on Ebay. I was looking for the 40th anniversary edition with Digital HD included. But many sellers are using a stock photo for their listing that is a huge blowup of the front cover. So I was asking a few sellers if they could tell from the back cover if it was the one with Digital HD advertised on the back.

Most were good about providing details. When I responded to one seller "Oh Booger" about her finding out she had made a mistake and it was the non-Digital HD copy, she proceeded to take offense I had called her a 'Booger' and not only should I go :censored: myself, but also that she hoped I died horribly.

Crazy times!

On 5/7/2022 at 7:49 PM, Larryw7 said:

Who cares, The Batman is a much better movie than Dr. Strange. Cameos and storytelling that assumes you've watched fifty TV shows before seeing the movie isn't actually a film, it's a glorified commercial.

I don't know about that. They're probably pretty close on my list of mediocre movies.