• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 4:52 PM, path4play said:

The Batman was as enjoyable and as good as Batman Begins, and was stripped down to the core removing the "James Bond 007" gadgetry.

I liked it...

@theCapraAegagrus @ttfitz

Respectfully disagree.

I like it to a degree, but I prefer all of the other versions of Batman we've got this century, so far.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Respectfully disagree.

I like it to a degree, but I prefer all of the other versions of Batman we've got this century, so far.

Self-control is your friend. Trust in it.

We both see eye-to-eye Batman Begins is still our top choice. Telling him his top choice is not your top choice doesn't detract from your top choice. It's just restating more of the same.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:21 AM, Bosco685 said:

"Diminishing returns"

Batman_BO220502.thumb.PNG.fc311126bdc542700757803d1a9f961f.PNG

Am I seeing this correctly?

That at 3.8x revenue...The Batman did better than every live-action Batman film but:

• Batman (1989)
  • The Dark Knight
  • The Dark Knight Rises

?

It's almost like...it was a raging success.

I love Batman Begins too. I almost had a heart attack the first time I saw because I was in awe. Lucky thing I had a pacemaker/defibrillator! lol It's still one of my best movie going experiences. The last time I watched the Nolan trilogy, I actually found myself liking Begins and Rises more than TDK, which wasn't something I ever thought before. I'm really love with every iteration of Batman on the big screen from 1966 to the present, except for the Schumacher era(and I don't hate Forever). It's hard to pick a favorite. I'm glad there is so much variety. William Dozier(66), Burton, Mask of the Phantasm, Nolan, Snyder, Reeves. There's something for everyone.

On 5/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:
On 4/29/2022 at 4:30 PM, ttfitz said:

I would add in f'(American Woman cover x Cosby kid), but otherwise it tracks! (thumbsu

Captain Math

I was asking you to solve the equation, not make it more complicated...

I can't believe I haven't gotten any love for my formula for Zoë Kravitz!

On 5/2/2022 at 4:30 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Am I seeing this correctly?

That at 3.8x revenue...The Batman did better than every live-action Batman film but:

• Batman (1989)
  • The Dark Knight
  • The Dark Knight Rises

?

It's almost like...it was a raging success.

All this constant spinning must leave you exhausted.  :ohnoez:

-FYi the first hour of this movie was virtually unwatchable. 

-J.

Finally watched it.  It was good!

Two things I found jarring:

• Not sure I understand the value of retconning a skeleton in the closet of Thomas Wayne.  Left a bad taste for me ... is there any precedent for this in the comics?
  • Really goofy the way that Catwoman kept literally calling Batman "Vengeance" the whole movie.  It wasn't even played for laughs, it was like that was a valid alternate name for him.  Made no sense.  I think the only person who called him "Batman" was the Riddler on the envelopes dropped throughout the movie.  If "Batman" even appears in the dialogue at all (I do not recall off-hand), it's probably only in reference to those envelopes from someone like Gordon.  No idea why they made that decision.

One thing that made me chuckle a bit:

• It's already a strain on credulity to imagine that Batman (or any superhero with a secret identity) manages to keep up all of their superheroing activities while also training, maintaining their equipment, blah blah blah, plus leading their "real" life.  (And I realize that you could make the case that this movie's Bruce Wayne is barely leading a "real" life outside of being Batman.)  But if you're going to put the responsibility of writing 10 pages in a journal every night on top of all that, well by God that's where you lose me.  lol

On 5/4/2022 at 12:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
  • Not sure I understand the value of retconning a skeleton in the closet of Thomas Wayne.  Left a bad taste for me ... is there any precedent for this in the comics?

Batman: Earth One

In the graphic novel written by Geoff Johns and with art by Gary Frank, Batman: Earth One, Thomas Wayne was a physician who had run for mayor against Oswald Cobblepot. Cobblepot had attempted to arrange his opponent's murder during the latter's outing to a movie with his family, but a mugger got to them first and killed Thomas and his wife. It is also implied that both he and Alfred are keeping a traumatic secret.

Batman: The Long Halloween

In Batman: The Long Halloween, a flashback reveals that Thomas Wayne saved the life of gangster Carmine Falcone. Falcone's father Vincent Falcone came to Wayne Manor and begged Thomas to save his dying son, who had been shot by rival gangster Luigi Maroni. After saving Carmine's life, he was offered a reward or favor, but refused to accept any form of payment. Unbeknownst to Thomas, young Bruce watched this all in silence from afar.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:20 AM, Bosco685 said:

Batman: Earth One

Batman: The Long Halloween

OK but neither of those stories seem to do what the movie did, which is implicate Thomas Wayne in criminal activity.  We are made to believe that he asked Falcone to rough someone up, and that he was compromised even further when Falcone murdered that person.  Is there anything like that in the comics?  Because I'm not even that big of a Batman fan and that bothered me.

I thought the saintliness of the Wayne parents was an indispensable part of the mythos.  It's like finding out that Ma and Pa Kent were running a brothel back in the day.

If I were retconning stuff like this, I would probably rather tell a story where someone further back in the Wayne family history, like maybe the grandfather, acquired that "old money" in ways that we would now view as shameful.  That would contextualize Thomas Wayne's philanthropy as a lifelong effort to make up for those wrongs, and it would cement the idea that like his son, he too was a crusader for justice who could never fully balance the scales.  But for all I know, maybe some writer did just that -- I'm just not that well versed in the deeper cuts, all I really know is TV and movies.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I will be P-OH’d if the Joker is the main villain in the sequel. What I wouldn’t mind seeing is the Joker in Arkham the whole time and maybe Batman visits him for bad guy advice on whoever he’s tracking. Maybe Joker escapes at the end and just slowly disappears in a sea of people. 🤔

On 5/4/2022 at 1:36 PM, ▫️ said:

I will be P-OH’d if the Joker is the main villain in the sequel. What I wouldn’t mind seeing is the Joker in Arkham the whole time and maybe Batman visits him for bad guy advice on whoever he’s tracking. Maybe Joker escapes at the end and just slowly disappears in a sea of people. 🤔

Agree.  No Joker as the main antagonist in the film. 

And NO ORIGIN SCENE!!!