• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2022 at 9:04 AM, Bosco685 said:

Box Office Guru predicts a $900 (+) potential box office finish.

Luiz is now saying $800M-$850M finish. Especially with China opening up to the movie.

Time will tell.

Sorry but this is still very meh.  I know spideys take is historic, but please , this ending up around suicide squad numbers from 2016, with absolutely no competition for weeks and WITH China is....

Meh.

-J.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:43 PM, Jaydogrules said:

Sorry but this is still very meh.  I know spideys take is historic, but please , this ending up around suicide squad numbers from 2016, with absolutely no competition for weeks and WITH China is....

Meh.

-J.

Seriously. Do you perform standup? The bookings would be huge!

(:

"The wheel? That thing will never take off!"

Larry01.PNG.4a5d659e1df81216078094bfc25fc03f.PNG

On 3/13/2022 at 10:38 PM, drotto said:

Saw this today.  I put it as my 4th best in rank. Very good overall.  My only complaint is it felt slightly plodding at points, and a little long.

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. I watched it a second time with my family this time and that is exactly what they said. It was good, but long. And not that it felt long, just that it was factually long and they'd rather it was shorter. It ended late and most that came with me were tired after viewing it.

It's a very vaild criticism but I personally am very happy with the length, simply because I love Batman and I find this take interesting and love Pattison as Batman so I'll take more of it, no questions asked :)

I came here to say that after watching Batman Returns and then watching The Batman, I caught that Michael Giacchino used a musical cue from Batman returns for the same scene of Selina Kyle putting on her Catwoman getup the first time. There is a high pitched screech that I think comes from a violin (could be wrong on that) that happens in that scene. We get that same high pitched screech in The Batman when R Bats is looking through his binoculars at Catwoman dressing up. 

Overall, it was better the second time to me, I was less stressed/uneasy of how I'd feel about the film as I watched it since I was simply able to just bathe in the world since I knew it all already. Still not sure where I rank this film or how much I love it. I think I like it more in parts than as a whole, but what I love, I love dearly. And it's not big stuff either, it's subtle things that make this world and this Batman feel so alive and real. Like that quick flick of the wrist he does to wind back his grapple wire when he enters the Mayor's place and spots Catwoman there. It's done with no fanfare, it's just an action he does as if he's done it a bunch of times and I love that.

Also, I was much warmer to the take on Bruce this time around. It took me a while but I understand exactly what they are going for here and in this vision, it fits well. I like the idea of Bruce being a recluse, how him showing up is an event, it gives him a different kind of mythic appeal and does amplify the wayne murders and the tool it took on the city in a different way. Also, it gives a different dichotomy since the film starts by having the idea that Batman is everywhere. He's in every shadow, he's with the cops, he's in a very crowded nightclub. He's even on TV, helping the rescue efforts. All that contrasts with Bruce Wayne hiding away and not wanting to be in the public eye. I still find this extremely jarring, but I get what they are going for and Matt Reeves does accomplish his vision, even if it's different from what I am used to.

Edited by William-James88

On 3/11/2022 at 4:32 PM, Larryw7 said:

Except for about six of them(not including NWH, which was Columbia), all of them.

I would agree that it's better than most of the Marvel movies out there. Ones like Infinity War, The Winter Soldier, etc are easily better than this for me.

Maybe a shortened version of The Batman would change my mind. :devil:

On 3/14/2022 at 2:41 AM, William-James88 said:

Yeah, I think that's the general consensus. I watched it a second time with my family this time and that is exactly what they said. It was good, but long. And not that it felt long, just that it was factually long and they'd rather it was shorter. It ended late and most that came with me were tired after viewing it.

It's a very vaild criticism but I personally am very happy with the length, simply because I love Batman and I find this take interesting and love Pattison as Batman so I'll take more of it, no questions asked :)

I came here to say that after watching Batman Returns and then watching The Batman, I caught that Michael Giacchino used a musical cue from Batman returns for the same scene of Selina Kyle putting on her Catwoman getup the first time. There is a high pitched screech that I think comes from a violin (could be wrong on that) that happens in that scene. We get that same high pitched screech in The Batman when R Bats is looking through his binoculars at Catwoman dressing up. 

Overall, it was better the second time to me, I was less stressed/uneasy of how I'd feel about the film as I watched it since I was simply able to just bathe in the world since I knew it all already. Still not sure where I rank this film or how much I love it. I think I like it more in parts than as a whole, but what I love, I love dearly. And it's not big stuff either, it's subtle things that make this world and this Batman feel so alive and real. Like that quick flick of the wrist he does to wind back his grapple wire when he enters the Mayor's place and spots Catwoman there. It's done with no fanfare, it's just an action he does as if he's done it a bunch of times and I love that.

Also, I was much warmer to the take on Bruce this time around. It took me a while but I understand exactly what they are going for here and in this vision, it fits well. I like the idea of Bruce being a recluse, how him showing up is an event, it gives him a different kind of mythic appeal and does amplify the wayne murders and the tool it took on the city in a different way. Also, it gives a different dichotomy since the film starts by having the idea that Batman is everywhere. He's in every shadow, he's with the cops, he's in a very crowded nightclub. He's even on TV, helping the rescue efforts. All that contrasts with Bruce Wayne hiding away and not wanting to be in the public eye. I still find this extremely jarring, but I get what they are going for and Matt Reeves does accomplish his vision, even if it's different from what I am used to.

I did enjoy that it played a little more heavily into the detective aspects of Batman.  That has been done a little before, but not to this extent. 

Yes, they were leaning very heavily into the idea that the character  is Batman and Bruce Wayne is the mask. That also playes with this version of Batman being much more public and Bruce being in the shadows.  He is comfortable being Batman.

By the way the movie is constructed around the metaphor of fear.  :P

On 3/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

Based on Friday's results the expert forecast is projecting a $400M domestic box office alone.

Yup, it is now forecasted to make over one billion alltogether, which is one hell of a success for this type of movie. I know that the Batman brand is very strong, but this is the first film in a new series and not the culmination of 20 years of Batman. Plus, this is a slower film, a longer film. So both less showings and not four quadrant. Regarding that last bit, I am surprised to see so many Batman toys at Walmart for kids. Which 6-8 year olds are watching this film? 

Anyways, also wanted to say that I too am a big Hideo Kojima fan. While I wasn't wondering what he thought of the film, I can totally see how it would be right up his alley. That guys is fueled by film nostalgia and while the Batman is new in many ways, Matt Reeves definitely borrows from classic movie tropes and styles in his vision of Batman and Gotham.

On 3/14/2022 at 6:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would agree that it's better than most of the Marvel movies out there. Ones like Infinity War, The Winter Soldier, etc are easily better than this for me.

Maybe a shortened version of The Batman would change my mind. :devil:

When I comes out on disc, I'm gonna see how much I can tighten it. I'm thinking I can loose 45 minutes pretty easy without effecting the story. 

On 3/14/2022 at 9:30 AM, William-James88 said:

Yes it is. And more broadly, you can say that is a theme explored in all of Matt Reeve's films, from cloverfield to his last Apes movie which really highlights it.

He's mocking the Eternals vs Christopher Nolan Batman debates that went on for a few weeks from a participant on here that always had to prove the MCU is greatest above anything else.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, D84 said:

When I comes out on disc, I'm gonna see how much I can tighten it. I'm thinking I can loose 45 minutes pretty easy without effecting the story. 

I'm guessing somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes. 45 might be a stretch.

On 3/14/2022 at 8:56 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm guessing somewhere between 15 and 30 minutes. 45 might be a stretch.

There was a lot of fat in that movie. I think I can do it.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Those look cheap AF. lol

yes, they look terrible. I don't get this one, it's just a police car which you could buy anywhere

Gordon Action Figure (SpinMaster Batman+ Lt. Gordon Set) : r/TheBatmanFilm

Many of these toys are movie specific, like with Batman unmasked, penguin and selina kyle which are not as recognisable as their comic "costumes". So I really have no clue which kid would want these unless they watch the film, and even then I would be surprised if a 6-8 year old could sit through this film (or be allowed to).