• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't Bid On This Auction As It Is NOT Original Jack Kirby Mister Miracle Art

14 posts in this topic

Hello collectors, check out this eBay auction. The seller believes this is an original Kirby drawing on the back, but it is actually a double-sided poster. I informed the seller about this and he just said, “Thanks for the info and good luck”.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Mister-Miracle-Jack-Kirby-Original-signed-Art-1973-Comic-Convention-Poster/222081278157?_trksid=p2046732.c100040.m2060&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107095009%26meid%3D5b5e134ae98b4ff08ab78893831a214b%26pid%3D100040%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D291736976350

Some might own one or have seen one so know what I am talking about. To prevent confusion for other collectors (in the future) I have created this blog post.

http://tellshiar.com/blog/the-1973-san-diego-comic-comic-con-convention-poster-controversy-is-it-an-original-jack-kirby-mister-miracle-sketch-drawn-on-its-opposite-side

Boy, the high bidder on this is going to be pissed. It’s already up to $315! Hopefully, it isn't anyone on this site.

Thanks. I was shown that auction by a fellow collector and the pic did look like it was original pencils but wasn't good enough to see the dots from the printing process. But the big give away was Mike Royer had inked that image either over pencils or lightbox. Donnelleys have the inked version for sale. While it could be a lightbox, doubt Mike would use a sketch one on the back of a poster (if the sellers story was true).

http://www.coollinesartwork.com/Featured.asp?Piece=290816

MrMiracleKR.jpg

Mike's version doesn't seem to be over pencils. I wonder where the original pencils are?

Like Glen, I was preparing to snipe a massive bid, but had also started a convo with the seller with the idea of driving to San Diego to verify the pencils. Seller's response was a bit english-as-a-second-language confusing. Can't tell if he's a scammer or sincere but leaning toward scammer after reading the OP.

According to Tellshiar's blog post, the poster goes for around $100 plus or minus for condition, so I conclude the one in this auction was maybe on the lower side of that. Don't know how common it is though.

Hello all, thanks for your comments and input. The auction was ended early. I am not sure if it was because he realized his mistake in the description or someone coaxed him to end early to sell to them. Well, in any event no one in this forum got screwed.