• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

My brother was house sitting for me while I was on vacation. He decided to read some comics, pulled them all out, read them left them all over the house. When I got back he had comics every where opened dog eared.....etc. BUT the worst was he was using them for bathroom reading material and had 8-9 of my older high grade spideys left on the floor for what must have been a week. A week or more of steam from showers and drops of water from him reaching for the towel etc....lets just say it was not a fun day. Funniest part was watching my wife go crazy at him. She hates comics but she knows how much they mean to me (hell she isn't even allowed to touch them). I now refuse to lend my books to anyone.

Very cool, Shep. My four year old son and looks around and says "Daddy, can I help you scan comic books?". He loves to press the scan button. He loves looking at the covers--he obviously can relate to Spiderman since he already has the t-shirts and what not. It's very cool when you can share your hobby with the family. My 17 year old son actually went to the comic con with me and picked up some good readers...

Well, this isn't me but someone I sold a Ghost #17 to cracked it and split the spine.

893censored-thumb.gif Don't remind me! crazy.gif

Exactly! I remember when it was in my collection. [sounds of Taps]

I've killed TWO comic books.

One was an early SA HOM book due to tape pull. There's now no tape anywhere near my books.

The second DOA was when I placed a NM unexpected 100 pager into a short mylar, and caused a 2" tear.

Well, the only book I've screwed up was a JIM #109 (1st Magneto x-over)--I think that's #109. Anyway, it had some very minor chipping starting and of course when I was putting it back in the back I caused a piece to chip off.

That book was later stolen anyway.

Yeah, I didn't even get a bid in. It was a sharp looking book.

I'd really like to see a new HG 153 come to auction as well. There's only one #153 graded (a double cover to boot).

So no ones gonna comment on the insane price of tth2's SSWS 154 9.4? I'll do it. About 5x's guide. 530.00 or something like that. 893whatthe.gif I bowed out at 400. sorry.gif

No surprise - it's an extremely hard book to find above 9.0. In my opinion, much tougher in grade than the #151.

It's got one Kubert's best covers of the Bronze Age. I'm looking for a 9.0/9.2... Even in 9.2, I'd say it's a $200+ book.

If you're looking tth2, well done!

Shep

Brilliant books and very respectable grades. I just love seeing those amazing covers! I'm going to post a pic of my favourite cover and favourite book as well, G. I. Combat #87, First Haunted Tank (like I needed to mention that). Not as nice shape as your books, sir, but I'm very proud of every copy I own, no matter how awful it looks. yay.gif

589a8e6791b55_1188557-smallG.I.Combat87fc.jpg.86db54f52ba27670cfa3436a72dd878a.jpg

Edited by thirdgreenham

Yeah, I didn't even get a bid in. It was a sharp looking book.

I'd really like to see a new HG 153 come to auction as well. There's only one #153 graded (a double cover to boot).

Truth is, the early Unknown Soldier SSWS (#151-#155) are much tougher than any of the Enemy Ace books (#138-#150). In the late '60s, Star Spangled War was in trouble. All American Men of War had just been cancelled, and Our Fighting Forces was jumping from character to character, trying to find a groove.

Kubert and Kanigher hoped that Enemy Ace would be the saviour for SSWS. And while it was a success with hardcore fans and the critics, that enthusiasm did not translate into increased sales. So after just 13 issues, the title changed tack... but the title was on life support. DC cut back the distribution on the title - that's why SSWS #150 is one of the toughest Enemy Ace books to find. And for #151-155, distribution stayed low - started swinging back up after that once the Unknown Soldier started getting some traction with readers.

I do wish that DC would let us see issue by issue distribution numbers. But here's how they shape up from the yearly legals that they were required to publish to maintain their first-class mailing status. As you can see, in terms of sales, 1969 and 1970 were a disaster, selling through less than 50% of of the run (unprecedented for DC). And see - 1970 is the lowest circulation year in the title's history (assuming that the 1950s and 1960s numbers were higher, a pretty safe bet) and one of the lowest for actual sales.

SSWS Sales/Circulation

1968 - 335,000 printed 170,696 sold (SSWS #142)

1969 - 317,000 printed 149,516 sold (SSWS #150)

1970 - 288,160 printed 136,326 sold (SSWS #156)

1971 - 288,333 printed 156,713 sold (SSWS #162)

1972 - 288,000 printed 145,869 sold (SSWS #168)

1973 - 298,428 printed 143,982 sold (SSWS #180)

1974 - 307,217 printed 144,200 sold (SSWS #187)

1975 - 329,000 printed 146,000 sold (SSWS #199)

Anyway, I hate looking at comics from a purely 'by-the-numbers' point of view, but certainly the scant sales/circulation data we do have gives us clues as to why books from this era are so painfully hard to find in grade.

Shep

Brilliant books and very respectable grades. I just love seeing those amazing covers! I'm going to post a pic of my favourite cover and favourite book as well, G. I. Combat #87, First Haunted Tank (like I needed to mention that). Not as nice shape as your books, sir, but I'm very proud of every copy I own, no matter how awful it looks. yay.gif

Don't ever apologize for G.I. Combat #87. It's an absolute killer, and devilish to find in Grade. I recently sold one, and acquired a slightly better on (with #89, #96, and #98 in the bargain... all FN!)

Shep

GIC87AF.jpg

I have a 151 double cover.

What's the grade? Got a scan to share? Sounds cool.

Anyone know if they have a Showcase Presents SSWS in the works or anything?