• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

Great stuff Shep! It's funny, as a kid Kubert didn't appeal to me at all. I was far more interested in Heath, Glanzman and Severin but as i got older Kubert appealed to me more and more and I absloutely love his work now. It's such a shame that I didn't keep all my old OAAWs in good condition but reading them to pieces as a kid is a tribute to how great they are grin.gif

When I was a kid, I was obsessed by Kubert.... I even tried to draw like him! Actually, aping the Kubert style was pretty good practice. In the end, he has to be called the greatest DC war artist... even as much as I love Heath, Kubert towers over everyone!

Shep

It's such a shame that I didn't keep all my old OAAWs in good condition but reading them to pieces as a kid is a tribute to how great they are grin.gif

hi.gif I was flipping through your box today as a matter of fact.

It was Kubert's Tarzan that blew me away as a kid. Probably because there was a treasury-sized edition of that but not any war books. Isn't that odd come to think of it? There was at least one mystery treasury but no war. I guess the war books had a disproportionate share of the DC digests a few years later. Love Joe's Rock as well but somehow I like Heath even more. It could be that he draws better machines or even something as simple as my first war comic ever was Easy's First Tiger.

Marc

It's such a shame that I didn't keep all my old OAAWs in good condition but reading them to pieces as a kid is a tribute to how great they are grin.gif

hi.gif I was flipping through your box today as a matter of fact.

Marc

Hey Marc, if you liked thos you should have seen the one I couldn't send you because they were so tattered cloud9.gif, and it was a pleasure trading with you thumbsup2.gif

Yup that 117 is very nice indeed! I am going to have to ban myself from here soon!! There are some cracking comics out there, just keep on posting chaps and chapesses! Love to see them all. I am glad I keep away from GA as I can't make my mind up which era I like best. At the moment it is BA, particularly the Horror and war DC's! But then again SA..... CA..... MA!!!!!!! yay.gifcloud9.gif

When I was a kid, I was obsessed by Kubert.... I even tried to draw like him! Actually, aping the Kubert style was pretty good practice. In the end, he has to be called the greatest DC war artist... even as much as I love Heath, Kubert towers over everyone!

Shep

I honestly don't think it's even fair to compare Kubert to Heath. They have radically different styles. Kubert, grim and gritty and Heath, clean and precise. Both phenominal in their own way. Heath is a master at facial expressions.

Killaaaaah....

Love those dollar books. Very nice. And super hard in grade.

Shep

Thanks, Shep. These are a little later than I usually collect, but you are right...the dollar books are great and remind me of my childhood, so when Doug offers up new Manitoba's I always get the higher grade dollar war books. The Mercenary stories are real stinkers, IMHO, btw.

Killaaaaah....

Love those dollar books. Very nice. And super hard in grade.

Shep

Thanks, Shep. These are a little later than I usually collect, but you are right...the dollar books are great and remind me of my childhood, so when Doug offers up new Manitoba's I always get the higher grade dollar war books. The Mercenary stories are real stinkers, IMHO, btw.

I hate Kana the Ninja and the Mercenary stories too. Even the Haunted Tank stories are off the boil at this point. I buy them for completion, and for the Kubert covers.

I haven't bought any of the Winnipegs, but only because I've been lucky to pick off most of these over the years in NM at cons.

Nice to see cherry copies.

Shep