• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,139 posts in this topic

Hey Jeff,

There have been so many threads on when the Silver Age ends and the bronze age begins. For me - and no doubt others will disagree - the silver age ends on January 1st, 1968. Whether or not the bronze age begins that very minute, I don't know. But for my purposes, those are my brackets.

This weekend I'm scanning the rest of the BA OAAWs. As I go through these, I am just amazed at the consisently amazing quality of these books. From 1968 right up to 1977, there was hardly a bad issue... and many are just dazzling.

Shep

Just finished the first half of the scans from the first half of my OAAW collection. It's nice when it's done, but what a pain in the !

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2159136&page=0#Post2159136

Eeks, those are stunners!! A true labor of love. What a pleasure to lay eyes on all that Heath. . .not to mention Glanzman, Estrada, Maurer, et al. And then there's the unbelievable run of Kubert covers. I wonder if Infantino, Kubert, and Kanigher were aware of how truly monumental that run is. It's staggering to consider. I think Russ Heath is proud of that body of unbelievable work, but because he was pulling a check and was so close to it on a daily basis for so many years, I'm not sure he's convinced of how truly unique and remarkable it was. . .then again, he's never been one to gloat. Surely if gloating were ever justified, that Heath run of OAAW would be a shoe-in.

Great, great books, Shep.

Thanks man.... it's not often that I take 'em all out and just geek on them.

There's amazing art ALL OVER these books. Probably my favorite run in comics.

Shep

That Heath OAAW run beats EVERYTHING (IMHO) from the Bronze Age. person_without_enough_empathyin' Adams stuff with Batman, GL/GA, Deadman. Kirby on the 4th World stuff. Stunning horror from Kaluta, Wrightson, Adams, occasional standouts from Simonson or Rodgers, but NONE of those just mentioned entailed the consistency for YEARS ON END of 3 geniuses running the main stories: Kubert on covers and editing, Kanigher on writing, and Heath creating story after story after story that just knock your socks off. The few times that Heath took a break, DC appeased us with the ONLY antidote--a shot of Kubert. As if on those "off-Heath" exceptions, DC was saying, I've got bad news and I've got good news. . .That whole run is one of greatest runs EVER.

Hey Mick,

Just got the other half of the BA Our Army at War books up in the test thread. Still missing OAAW #268 and #271 from this group, but I have found two nice upgrade copies with a dealer and they will be soon.

This is the first time I have taken a methodical approach to scanning my books... ie, same size, image quality, etc. It takes a long time, but it's pretty satisfying when it's finally all done.

Shep

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2180091&page=0#Post2180091

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up... on my Mac, the books just format in a block, depending on the size of my screen window. It must be different from system to system.

I was able to edit the new books, but not the pre-251s. I wish that there was a longer editing window for older posts.

Shep

Hey Jeff,

Thanks for the heads up... on my Mac, the books just format in a block, depending on the size of my screen window. It must be different from system to system.

I was able to edit the new books, but not the pre-251s. I wish that there was a longer editing window for older posts.

Shep

:thumbsup:

I can break that entire run down into two categories...

1. Books I got extremely lucky on (about 75% of them).

2. Books that were as tough to find as passing a kidney stone.

Seriously... considering that these books are not all that old, some are downright impossible to find. As it stands, I still want to upgrade #212, #219 and #250. In seven years of searching high and low, I have yet to encounter copies that were 9.2 or better.

Thanks for the kudos. I'm hoping to get all the G.I. Combats and Sgt. Rocks scanned by the end of February.

Shep

I was taking some photos of my books to keep my computer

files up to date and found these two HG Beauties. :cloud9:

Picture423.jpg

The picture doesn't do the book justice with the bright red colors

and a very glossy cover.

Picture427.jpg

The OFF 131 with the jet black cover and a German plane silhouetted

against the moon is a Beauty and one of my many favorite BA covers.

Picture427.jpg

I love that OFF book Fay... one of my favorite DC war covers of all time.... and wicked hard to find in grade.

Shep

Picture427.jpg

I love that OFF book Fay... one of my favorite DC war covers of all time.... and wicked hard to find in grade.

Shep

Thanks you guys, (worship)

When I build up the nerve to submit a few books these two might

be taking the trip to Florida. The OFF is very near flawless as far

as I can tell.

As soon as I get a scanner I'll re-post it in "Spare me a Grade"

and see what you experts think. (shrug)

fay :foryou:

Picture423.jpg

Fay, what kind of magic are you using to keep this book standing straight? hm

Great, great books, nonetheless! (worship)

Andy

Andy,

I just taped the top of the book to the coffee table. :insane:

Removing the tape only leaves a little bit of damage. :o J/K :foryou: