• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, kevhtx said:

If the concept is that someone comes to me and says they have $3k to invest, and they want either Siege #3 or IH 181, Ill steer them to the latter every day of the week. Easily. But, I would also tell them my reasoning and that in the end, it is their money and they ultimately should do what they want. Some will buy Siege 3. To each their own. I do have 3 books from the list though, so I jump around in my collecting.

Agreed. I have the old stalwarts such as IH #181 in 9.8 W, but want a few more varied investments. The DG #2 Ruby Red is a good example.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

"Let me spell it out for you?"  y, with respect, I don't think there's a need to be condescending. Square is a very agreeable and knowledgable poster.

I also take his point. I don't see the correlation between ASM #119 and the variants being discussed (although on a side note there IS technically a variant version that has a double cover but that is really a printing error. 

You say the issue is hard to find in high grade (by the by, the spelling is "vein")  and yet there are 2 9.8's currently listed for sale, and 54 graded at this level in total.  I've yet to see this happen with some of these variants. I'm sure Jay will agree there won't be 2 ASM #667's in 9.8 for sale simultaneously, much less a total of 54 in 9.8.

The variants are a different beast entirely. Like the Chromium Age, publishers are offering alternate versions of titles, but unlike said period, they are much, much scarcer (I think Jay's head would explode if someone produced an ASM #667 in 9.8 W with a metallic embossed hero on the Dell 'Otto cover).

Thanks for the kind words, but I took no offense from @ygogolak.

I think you probably haven't been in a real Modern "rare variant" discussion unless you walk away bleeding and with a few bruises lol

9 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Thanks for the kind words, but I took no offense from @ygogolak.

I think you probably haven't been in a real Modern "rare variant" discussion unless you walk away bleeding and with a few bruises lol

Tell me about it. There used to be a poster on the old boards who went after Jay everytime he so much as mentioned variants. The thread would go up and suddenly Tyler Durden appears.

41 minutes ago, World Devourer said:

Tell me about it. There used to be a poster on the old boards who went after Jay everytime he so much as mentioned variants. The thread would go up and suddenly Tyler Durden appears.

eye_twitch_fight_club.gif

13 hours ago, World Devourer said:

"Let me spell it out for you?"  y, with respect, I don't think there's a need to be condescending. Square is a very agreeable and knowledgable poster.

I also take his point. I don't see the correlation between ASM #119 and the variants being discussed (although on a side note there IS technically a variant version that has a double cover but that is really a printing error. 

You say the issue is hard to find in high grade (by the by, the spelling is "vein")  and yet there are 2 9.8's currently listed for sale, and 54 graded at this level in total.  I've yet to see this happen with some of these variants. I'm sure Jay will agree there won't be 2 ASM #667's in 9.8 for sale simultaneously, much less a total of 54 in 9.8.

The variants are a different beast entirely. Like the Chromium Age, publishers are offering alternate versions of titles, but unlike said period, they are much, much scarcer (I think Jay's head would explode if someone produced an ASM #667 in 9.8 W with a metallic embossed hero on the Dell 'Otto cover).

Wow, you're all over the place on this one.

My response was only in relation to the tone of previous posts.

The relation of ASM is simply an arbitrary book. What I was trying to convey is why it's acceptable to spend over $1G on a fairly common Bronze age book, but not a hard to find Modern. The ASM is not a defined key, not an important story, etc...  Any argument as to why that book can sell for that much, except for age, can be matched by a Modern variant. Simply because something is old does not equate to value.

Edited by ygogolak

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

This guy seems to be holding around $1,500.

X-23 #1 Dell Otto Variant CGC 9.8

Actually, the last few sales were all at $1700+.

No doubt this guy ending his auction at 2 in the morning had something to do with this particular result ($1550).  doh!

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Actually, the last few sales were all at $1700+.

No doubt this guy ending his auction at 2 in the morning had something to do with this particular result ($1550).  doh!

-J.

There is an auction for one now starting at $1,600.

44 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Surprised it wasn't sniped, the last bid was hours before the auction ended. Most of the auctions I put up get autobid / sniped in the last fifteen seconds.

:gossip: It ended at two o'clock in the morning.

-J.

3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Yes, I saw you say that before. The neat thing about sniping / autobidding is you don't necessarily have to be present at the time an auction ends :gossip:

I never bid on an auction until the last 5 seconds. But, Im generally not patient enough and just make offers or use BIN.

1 minute ago, kevhtx said:

I never bid on an auction until the last 5 seconds. But, Im generally not patient enough and just make offers or use BIN.

Tons of people use software to do it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ebay+snipe+software&oq=ebay+snipe+software&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2788j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=ebay+sniper+software

Im pretty good about only bidding exactly how much I would want to pay. If I lose an auction, Im ok with it. I always laugh when one of my friends loses an auction and says, "Damn, I would have paid that price!". 

8 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Yes that's most people.  Having an auction end at that time was just silly.  Probably cost him a couple hundred dollars.  Not an earth shattering difference in the grand scheme of things, but a couple hundred bucks is still a couple hundred bucks.  

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yes that's most people.  Having an auction end at that time was just silly.  Probably cost him a couple hundred dollars.  Not an earth shattering difference in the grand scheme of things, but a couple hundred bucks is still a couple hundred bucks.  

-J.

Well, there are 3 of these things available on eBay right now so maybe that had something to do with it. We'll see if the next one goes for more, less, or around the same.

9 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Well, there are 3 of these things available on eBay right now so maybe that had something to do with it. We'll see if the next one goes for more, less, or around the same.

I'm sure the one 9.8 CGC copy that's currently on eBay will perform at or better than GPA averages.   (thumbsu

-J.