• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

The first prints only bit is a little sketchy with regards to how some feel about some RRPs, other than that pretty straight forward.

It is probably too much to ask of him or anyone to crunch statistics before deciding what to add to the list, but I would like to see a little stricter acceptance of reported sales :shrug:

I seem to be in the minority there though, but other wise... I have no issues with Jay's rules as listed.

In this case though, wasn't the book made for his 90th birthday and debuted at the party? At least thats what I thought was the reason for why its "special" and why those signed at the party were worth more. I agree that long-term, that might not really help it keep value.

You are correct.

He signed just 90 copies of the ASM 700 Ditko there, specific for that occasion, that are sequentially numbered by CGC, plus another 9 copies or so that were also signed and graded that day as courtesy copies given out to a few attendees but are not numbered sequentially.

I've read a Superior Spider-Man animated movie is in the works. Maybe that's the reason behind the general price surge. (shrug)

-J.

Yea it appears to be creeping up. I bought my copy 6 months ago for $725.

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

I say none of them...it's just what every hobby needs, more manufactured collectibles! Might as well be limited edition beanie babies. Some the covers look alright, but nothing like the prices some go for. Rarity should never be "manufactured", which is fake. Don't listen to the hype, especially when the hype comes from the same guys trying to sell that $#!^  to you.

1 hour ago, Okeydoke said:

I say none of them...it's just what every hobby needs, more manufactured collectibles! Might as well be limited edition beanie babies. Some the covers look alright, but nothing like the prices some go for. Rarity should never be "manufactured", which is fake. Don't listen to the hype, especially when the hype comes from the same guys trying to sell that $#!^  to you.

e31.jpg

Say what you will, but it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it (and continues to pay for it time and time again).  Will these book continue to hold value?  Time will tell (shrug)

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

10 minutes ago, Lethal_Collector said:

e31.jpg

Say what you will, but it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it (and continues to pay for it time and time again).  Will these book continue to hold value?  Time will tell (shrug)

Jerome

Well said.  Also, beanie babies are not art.

As for the list, I'm surprised that Transformers Universe #1 Botcon Unicron variant isn't listed... it sold for over 1K at auction last year.  I sold my copy for roughly $2,900 (if applying Ebay pricing) a few months back.

Iron Man #512 Venom variant in 9.8 went for around 2K on Ebay three months ago.

A lot of people would say a comic book isn't "art". I'm personally not sure a stuffed animal couldn't be called an expression of creativity, and if so, why couldn't it be considered art by those who appreciate it?

Making yourself a gatekeeper for what is art is roughly equivalent to someone else making themselves the gatekeeper for what is a collectible. Technically, the only qualification for something to be a collectible, is for someone to wish to collect it. No one ever said collectibles had to be valuable or hold whatever value they may have once held - quite the contrary, as we're all well aware.

Having said that... I'm always a little amused when some of the people here seem surprised or defensive when a visitor yells out, what from their perspective, appear to be warnings that people should be very careful when paying thousands of dollars for comic books that are just a few months - or dozen months at best - old. I mean, on the face of it, they probably feel like they're trying to help people wouldn't you think?

If you saw someone reaching out to grab on to what you believed was a searing hot piece of metal, you might very well yell out a warning as well - regardless of whether or not the person doing the reaching saw any danger in the action. I like to think they mean well.

8 hours ago, isiTrue said:

Well said.  Also, beanie babies are not art.

As for the list, I'm surprised that Transformers Universe #1 Botcon Unicron variant isn't listed... it sold for over 1K at auction last year.  I sold my copy for roughly $2,900 (if applying Ebay pricing) a few months back.

Iron Man #512 Venom variant in 9.8 went for around 2K on Ebay three months ago.

Hello.  

I don't see any sales for Iron Man 512 Venom for the amount that you are indicating.  The most recent sale I see is for $1200 in February 2017, which is well below the current #12 on the list.  If you have a link for that sale, feel free to post it. 

As to the Transformers book, I am aware of it, but there just aren't enough (or any) public (graded) sales of the book, and strictly private sales of books are not considered.   

-J.

23 minutes ago, Hado said:

Why are private sales not considered? :shy:

(Sorry, I had to)

lol Because that would be a whole other can of worms.   

The sales relied upon have to be readily viewable by the public, or side debates about whether or not a sale really did or did not happen would inevitably erupt.  

-J.

9 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

A lot of people would say a comic book isn't "art". I'm personally not sure a stuffed animal couldn't be called an expression of creativity, and if so, why couldn't it be considered art by those who appreciate it?

Making yourself a gatekeeper for what is art is roughly equivalent to someone else making themselves the gatekeeper for what is a collectible. Technically, the only qualification for something to be a collectible, is for someone to wish to collect it. No one ever said collectibles had to be valuable or hold whatever value they may have once held - quite the contrary, as we're all well aware.

Having said that... I'm always a little amused when some of the people here seem surprised or defensive when a visitor yells out, what from their perspective, appear to be warnings that people should be very careful when paying thousands of dollars for comic books that are just a few months - or dozen months at best - old. I mean, on the face of it, they probably feel like they're trying to help people wouldn't you think?

If you saw someone reaching out to grab on to what you believed was a searing hot piece of metal, you might very well yell out a warning as well - regardless of whether or not the person doing the reaching saw any danger in the action. I like to think they mean well.

Who would say a comic book is not art let alone "a lot of people"?

Edited by ygogolak

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Who would say a comic book is not art let alone "a lot of people"?

Really? You've never heard anyone disparage comic books?  I don't know how old you are, but when I was growing up, pretty much every other kids parents thought comic books were idiotic and would ruin their kid's mind and personality. I don't really recall a lot of people being over the moon and commenting glowingly to their friends that their child was deeply interested in the arts, but maybe that was your experience hm

I of course know that comics are art - there is little doubt in my mind - but many people that disparage the medium would absolutely call that claim into dispute, they would have some lofty, high bar for that designation and funny books wouldn't make it over. You should consider yourself lucky that you haven't met many of the snobs out in the wilder world.

33 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Really? You've never heard anyone disparage comic books?  I don't know how old you are, but when I was growing up, pretty much every other kids parents thought comic books were idiotic and would ruin their kid's mind and personality. I don't really recall a lot of people being over the moon and commenting glowingly to their friends that their child was deeply interested in the arts, but maybe that was your experience hm

I of course know that comics are art - there is little doubt in my mind - but many people that disparage the medium would absolutely call that claim into dispute, they would have some lofty, high bar for that designation and funny books wouldn't make it over. You should consider yourself lucky that you haven't met many of the snobs out in the wilder world.

You're talking about different things. You're referencing content inside a comic book as opposed to the artwork. Is Roy Lichtenstein an artist or "idiotic"?

1 hour ago, Lockford88 said:

I'm guessing ASM 25 remastered 1:1000 variant is going to have to be added on here. Marvel sucks. lol

Per JayDog's rules it has to be at least 3 years old. I think it was also stated at one time that the really high ratio's would not be considered. Like the Star Wars Vader Down 1:4999.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Per JayDog's rules it has to be at least 3 years old. I think it was also stated at one time that the really high ratio's would not be considered. Like the Star Wars Vader Down 1:4999.

It does have to be three years old.

And, ygoglak, super high ratio variants would make the list if they warranted it. The exclusion of the ultra high variant ratio books was on the CBSI list I believe.  This list will not exclude those books.  

-J.