• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It very much has the overly plump spine. Particularly noticeable in the first picture.  Also the cover stock is wrong.  I own this book, remember? I purchased it raw and handled it raw extensively  (probably more than I should have lol ).  Real copies do not have that kind of cover stock or gloss.  It's fake, and it was sold from what looks like a hacked ebay account as well.   

-J.

Believe me, everyone on these boards knows you own a copy.

Once again, book does not have the spine as addressed in the other thread. It does bow out in the middle, which could be another sign of wrong cover stock.

How do you identify a "hacked" account?

IMG_6374.PNG

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Once again, book does not have the spine as addressed in the other thread. It does bow out in the middle, which could be another sign of wrong cover stock.

IMG_6374.PNG

Yes it bows in the middle due the overly plump spine (likely caused , as you say, by the wrong cover/paper stock). 

Signs of a hacked eBay account? Typical signs are, no activity for a year or more, no sales history, no other items for sale, random very expensive book suddenly put up for sale, etc.  Happens most frequently with AF 15's and Hulk 1's. 

-J.

56 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

It very much has the overly plump spine. Particularly noticeable in the first picture.  Also the cover stock is wrong.  I own this book, remember? I purchased it raw and handled it raw extensively  (probably more than I should have lol ).  Real copies do not have that kind of cover stock or gloss.  It's fake, and it was sold from what looks like a hacked ebay account as well.   

-J.

Thanks James Frenz!

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

IMG_6374.PNG

5a519babeb206_ASM667Raw.jpg.27739268512844a036b46721d2ff3cc1.jpg I found a picture of my copy raw before I got it slabbed.  You can really see all of the differences between it and the fake copy when placed right next to each other like this, in particular at the spine and the colouring (and FYI, the real one is not being "compressed" by the bag at all, it was actually very loose in the bag and laid exactly the same way when not in the bag). 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

IMG_6374.PNG

Here is the other fake one that the boardie bought:

20171106_143426.jpg.0f98ce8d67d722fbb7176baf0a67b403.thumb.jpg.78c3f38444a8d1d69e318990d6a7b650.jpg

Notice it uses the identical and incorrect shade of red as the bogus one from the bay (most notable in the "Marvel Variant Edition" box):

And again, here is the real copy for referece.  Notice the lighter/different shade of red):

5a51a264aee19_ASM667Raw.jpg.6ab5e96f3ff206849fcd1025c71ff9a2.jpg

Granted, this isn't something that is readily noticeable in the absence of a real world reference copy (as opposed to a stock image).  What is readily apparent though is the apparent "thickness" of the cover stock of the fake copy.  That can be seen from a mile away.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

There is enough to be concerned the top is a fake.

Color looks exactly the same to me though.

Good point about the top. I didn't even notice that.  But the colours are definitely off.  It's the reds, they're wrong.  You can see that the reds in the fake copies are more of a magenta compared to my copy. You can really see it in the "variant edition" box and the red spider in the webbing between "spider" and "island" in the title at the bottom (though the red in Spidey is wrong as well).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

5 hours ago, story cover & art by... said:

Hey Jay.... don't have the time to look through 41 pages... is she on here?

s-l1600.jpg

Foreign/reprint books aren't considered for this list.  Also, it doesn't regularly sell for enough (last sale on Jan. 15 for $1325) where it wouldn't make the cut even if it was considered.  

-j.

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

Foreign/reprint books aren't considered for this list.  Also, it doesn't regularly sell for enough (last sale on Jan. 15 for $1325) where it wouldn't make the cut even if it was considered.  

-j.

You routinely contradict yourself on this list.

Last ASM 700 Ditko was for $1,014. 12 month is $1,034.

In regards to regular sales:

Edited by ygogolak

3 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You routinely contradict yourself on this list.

Last ASM 700 Ditko was for $1,014. 12 month is $1,034.

In regards to regular sales:

No, I don't contradict myself.  All label types are considered when I rank these things.  

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-j.

What about the 6 I pointed out that had 0 or one sale in 3 months?

11 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

No, I don't contradict myself.  All label types are considered when I rank these things.  

-J.

So you consider SS as the only qualifying factor.

Edited by ygogolak

16 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What about the 6 I pointed out that had 0 or one sale in 3 months?

So you consider SS as the only qualifying factor.

Lack of overall availability is a major reason why many if not most of these sell for what they do.  

-J.

19 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Lack of overall availability is a major reason why many if not most of these sell for what they do.  

-J.

Yes, just like the Superman / Batman #4.
"Also, it doesn't regularly sell for enough "

Edited by ygogolak

15 minutes ago, IntoAnother said:

If only a place existed where one could make whatever type of list they wanted. hm

I know, I've always said it was his list. It's just confusing what counts and what doesn't. Because it's his list and his rules.

2 hours ago, IntoAnother said:

If only a place existed where one could make whatever type of list they wanted. hm

It's still a discussion thread.  If Jay wants to post without any feedback, questions or criticism then that's what blogs and spec site articles are for. 

I think you've got it backwards.