• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,415 posts in this topic

On 11/13/2023 at 9:20 AM, fantastic_four said:

They seem to dump it to all of the discount stores.  In my area you can find dumped Hasbro stuff at Ollies, Marshalls, Burlington Coat Factory, and Ross.

I recently visited all of the Marshalls in my region because they had dumped their failed Starting Lineup NBA figures to Marshalls.  I bought four of the eight they made from Hasbro Pulse, but my son really likes the figures and wanted me to get the rest so I went looking for them at Marshalls.  Found one among four stores, but that was it.

I have a Burlington Coat Factory near me and just for fun I just went to check it out due to your mentioning, but they have nothing.  Marshalls and TJ Maxx never have anything here.   We do not have an Ollies or Ross by us though. 

On 11/13/2023 at 10:38 AM, fantastic_four said:

You can get two-thirds of most figure lines on sale, clearance at major retail, or clearance at discount retail.  The trick is identifying the third that will never make it to clearance.  With Marvel as an example it's the popularity of the character, although there can be other factors as well.  So in general you usually won't see Spidey, Iron Man, Captain America, etc at clearance unless it's a low-popularity variant costume they're wearing.

How Hasbro does not scale their number back for subsequent waves of figures across the board is beyond me. 

I have recently this year tried Ollie's...

I'm in the board exchange.. gift exchange.

But wouldn't know what figures are sought after at Ollies unless we got specific, and if the time came I could revisit this thread but 😂

I mostly hang here because I think it's a cool subject matter, while not ever collecting most of it myself. I have, but not nearly enough to warrant anything haha

If it was specifically tailored to an individual then I have the Ollie's and Ross option near by me enough.

:butbutbutemoji:rantrant

On 11/13/2023 at 4:56 PM, Buzzetta said:

I have a Burlington Coat Factory near me and just for fun I just went to check it out due to your mentioning, but they have nothing.  Marshalls and TJ Maxx never have anything here.   We do not have an Ollies or Ross by us though. 

Last year I had good luck with Burlington, but this year all I found was a handful of Legends (luckily, they were figures I was looking for.) It can be boom or bust for sure, as the shipping/stocking seems at random. So you may get lucky and be there right after they received a shipment, however they may have only gotten one or two cases of the item in question.

I feel like most of the big shipments came in October, but I’m hopeful that things will keep trickling in throughout the season. We have three Ross stores here, though none are super convenient. I have an Ollie’s and a Burlington that are sorta kinda on the way home from work, so I check there more often.

On 11/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, taro90 said:

I saw this at the Super 7 booth at NYCC. Anyone going in on this Super 7 Cobra Mothership? 3 tiers have already been unlocked.

https://super7.com/products/gi-joe-reaction-figures-cobra-mothership

I am still on the fence. I had more or less stopped buying Joes, but this ship was my #1 single most wanted fantasy vehicle as a kid, so the fact that it is now going to be a reality may be too much to resist. But $500...oof. We'll see. I find it very interesting that they're offering a set of O-ring figures as well, makes one wonder if Hasbro isn't totally done with O-ring for the foreseeable future. I like the designs of the Reaction figures, as I'm a Sunbow cartoon Joe guy, and if they were to start making more o-ring figures in that style, I'd be totally onboard. 

On 11/13/2023 at 7:37 PM, taro90 said:

My foray into action figure collecting. Brought this AFA graded, Super Powers Flash figure on eBay. When they had the "$10 paypal coupon for purchases of any item over $100." 

FlasH_AFA.thumb.jpg.cb75d11b4a0b06752afb79d1fd99ed48.jpg

Flash_AFA1.thumb.jpg.d3c32644e506af7c362341c2e934ed8a.jpg

Always loved that figure. My first two Super Powers were Flash and Darkseid, both a Xmas gift from an aunt. Loved that guy.

On 11/14/2023 at 10:12 AM, Dave2739 said:

Your aunt was a guy? How progressive!

:jokealert:

It's too early in the day for me to be expected to communicate clearly!

On 11/14/2023 at 10:30 AM, Dave2739 said:

Just kidding :foryou:

(The secret is that I don't communicate clearly at any point of the day...and it's always morning somewhere. Probably?)

On 11/14/2023 at 10:10 AM, F For Fake said:
On 11/13/2023 at 7:46 PM, taro90 said:

I saw this at the Super 7 booth at NYCC. Anyone going in on this Super 7 Cobra Mothership? 3 tiers have already been unlocked.

https://super7.com/products/gi-joe-reaction-figures-cobra-mothership

I am still on the fence. I had more or less stopped buying Joes, but this ship was my #1 single most wanted fantasy vehicle as a kid, so the fact that it is now going to be a reality may be too much to resist. But $500...oof. We'll see. I find it very interesting that they're offering a set of O-ring figures as well, makes one wonder if Hasbro isn't totally done with O-ring for the foreseeable future. I like the designs of the Reaction figures, as I'm a Sunbow cartoon Joe guy, and if they were to start making more o-ring figures in that style, I'd be totally onboard. 

Didn't know this existed.  Two questions:

• When did this crowdfunder start?  I see the early bird ended three weeks ago, and the campaign has almost another month left.  Is this a 3-month crowdfund?
  • What's the difference between the O-ring and "ReAction" figures?  I know the O-ring is the rubber band used by older Joes from the 1980s so I assume "ReAction" is an alternate design, but why would Super 7 keep making figures using the O-ring, and why would they include both?  Don't the rubber bands disintegrate?  Is there some retro engineering nostalgia demand for O-ring figures going on, kind of like the way some music enthusiasts pine for older record technologies and collect vinyl records?

On 11/15/2023 at 7:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

• When did this crowdfunder start?  I see the early bird ended three weeks ago, and the campaign has almost another month left.  Is this a 3-month crowdfund?
  • What's the difference between the O-ring and "ReAction" figures?  I know the O-ring is the rubber band used by older Joes from the 1980s so I assume "ReAction" is an alternate design, but why would Super 7 keep making figures using the O-ring, and why would they include both?  Don't the rubber bands disintegrate?  Is there some retro engineering nostalgia demand for O-ring figures going on, kind of like the way some music enthusiasts pine for older record technologies and collect vinyl records?

1. I'm pretty sure it started in October, though someone else can verify. It's a pretty long run up, which I guess makes sense considering this is the holiday season and all, and Super 7 charges you up front for these crowdfund/preorders. Give people plenty of time to plan and budget.

2. O-Ring figures are the classic rubber-band styled GI Joe figures that Hasbro made for decades. "ReAction" is Super7's brand of figures that have only 5 points of articulation, in the classic Kenner Star Wars style. They've made countless different licenses under the ReAction banner, starting with Alien, but expanding to pretty much any pop-culture property you can think of, from real life music acts (Run DMC, Ghost, Slayer, and so many more) to classic brands like Transformers, Universal Monsters, Godzilla, etc. Similar to Funko Pops, ReAction takes all of these disparate brands and unifies them under one classic, simple retro style with very basic articulation.

The problem is that they also have the GI Joe license, and while they do a tremendous job of capturing the classic Sunbow animation style with the ReAction figures, your typical GI Joe fan is used to a lot more articulation and a lower price point. Since Super 7 is a boutique brand, it's assumed that they're making much smaller runs of figures than Hasbro would, so Reaction figures generally cost about $17 a pop. Many Joe fans balked at that, as you're paying more for much less articulation and usually zero accessories.

I didn't really mind, because I always looked at the ReAction figures as being more like an art object than a toy I would "play with". But I understand the complaints.

At any rate, I don't know if it was ever established as fact, but the general assumption has always been that Super 7 probably didn't have the rights to make Joe figures with classic/o-ring articulation, as that has always been Hasbro's bailiwick. However, with Hasbro canceling their retro line, and no more o-ring or otherwise articulated 3 3/4" scale figures being offered by them in a year or more, the fact that Super 7 is now suddenly offering articulated O-ring figures with this newest project makes one wonder if perhaps Hasbro is really, truly done with anything other than Classified scale figures, and Super 7 may now be allowed to go forward with something other than the ReAction style 5poa. If they were able to blend their terrific animation acurate sculpt with better articulation, I'd buy everything release.

Just speculation, but it's interesting for sure.

So, it's not really an o-ring vs modern articulation situation, it's a five POA vs more articulated situation. I personally always preferred the o-ring figures because the modern Joe figures had weird long torsos and the articulation could be wonky. By the end of the retro line, Hasbro seemed to have finally gotten it more or less right with non-oring figures that had great articulation and sculpt in the 3 3/4" range. Particularly that last gasp wave with the Cobra Trooper and Grunt, those were beautifully done. If they'd made more figures like that, I'd have bought more, o-ring or not.

On 11/15/2023 at 7:41 AM, fantastic_four said:

Oh, and to answer the disintegrating question, yes, it's true that the vintage o-rings have a habit of drying up or dry-rotting, but with their more recent o-ring offerings, Hasbro claim to have changed the material that the rings are made out of, so they are supposed to be much more durable. Of course, time will tell on that count.

They finally made a Captain Carrot figure! This was an instant order for me, it looks fantastic!

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/259277?o=1

captaincarrot.gif.b5cb21c6848b1a132a8363a7ed54488e.gif

On 11/15/2023 at 12:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

They finally made a Captain Carrot figure! This was an instant order for me, it looks fantastic!

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/259277?o=1

captaincarrot.gif.b5cb21c6848b1a132a8363a7ed54488e.gif

I love that McFarlane is making this, but wish it was the classic/cartoony version from the original comics instead of this Multiversity one. Throw in the rest of the Zoo Crew too.

On 11/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, Dave2739 said:

I love that McFarlane is making this, but wish it was the classic/cartoony version from the original comics instead of this Multiversity one. Throw in the rest of the Zoo Crew too.

Same. Classic version would be an instant buy, this one is a big maybe.

On 11/15/2023 at 12:16 PM, Dave2739 said:

Me too, but I'll take what I can get - I've wanted an official Captain Carrot pretty much since I was a kid. Hopefully if this one does well, they'd consider a classic line in some format. I also wish he had some accessories, like at least a carrot, but again, just happy to be getting a figure released.

A classic line would work perfectly in the Super Powers format.

Edited by Jesse-Lee