• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,615 posts in this topic

On 7/12/2024 at 2:02 PM, B2D327 said:

really impressed with the Indy sculpt as a whole. Really nice detail work by this bandai line

20240712_1347172.thumb.jpg.5baf36ed58fdcbd86d84e882447a2624.jpg

Best Indiana Jones action figure ever made in twelfth scale.  Mezco has one coming out soon, but Bandai's looks significantly better than Mezco's.  I've had this since last year when it released, and I still absolutely love it so he's been sitting on my desk for a while.

Figuarts scales slightly small with other lines because they go for true twelfth scale whereas most other companies fudge the sizes up by about a half-inch, but he happens to be the exact same height as the Hasbro Indy figures from their recent Indiana Jones Adventure Series line, so he fits right in with all of those so you can have Marion, Sallah, Marcus Brody, Short Round, etc around him on a shelf.

On 7/15/2024 at 11:50 PM, B2D327 said:

Finally added the Dr. Strange I wanted to the collection. Now to squeeze it onto the shelf along with a loose Firelord for the cosmic shelf20240715_2317512.thumb.jpg.80171cfb50b81b20b283ed7ec70cb1cd.jpg

Did you consider the Mafex version?  They're both close to each other in quality so either is great.  I'm sure they're both long gone by now so maybe it was a matter of how much you found him for.

A custom accessories maker in Hong Kong has a spell effects set that works with the Figuarts, Mafex, and Marvel Legends Doctor Strange figures that I recently picked up, and it is amazing.  The quality of the plastic is great; he didn't just 3D print everything like most individual accessories makers do, he used actual different types of plastics for the different effects so that some are more stiff and others are made of a more pliable plastic.  All of the effects were taken from various scenes in Multiverse of Madness, and they're all really, really good.  There are a few cons I could list if you consider getting it, but overall I'm ecstatic with the set and bought two of them in different colors (he makes 5 or 6 differently-colored versions).

Here's the link to that seller's Instagram as well as a pic of the accessories and a video review from Youtube (there are half a dozen other reviews of the set on Youtube as well):

https://www.instagram.com/takaratony3000

1080x.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/17/2024 at 11:56 PM, B2D327 said:

Got my first Mezco delivered yesterday

IMG-20240717-WA0002~2.jpeg

IMG-20240717-WA0005~2.jpeg

How do you like him?  I passed because they scaled him to be the exact same height as most 6-foot characters when Cable is supposed to be 6' 8".  Mezco has a limited number of body sculpts that they re-use a lot, and since they layer cloth or pleather over them they rarely make new body molds for differently-sized characters.

I don't like the cloth aesthetic much in twelfth scale because the stitching and other details look WAY bigger than they actually would in true scale, but when Mezco mixes pleather with cloth I tend to really like it.  Cable here has that aesthetic so he looks great.

The Mezco Black Bolt and Magneto also use that pleather/cloth mix and I like both of those.

Wolverine looks more awkward, but I have him and still generally enjoy him.

The Fantastic Four set is mostly cloth, but I still like them particularly Thing and HERBIE.  Doctor Doom is a masterpiece, best Mezco I've ever seen and it's difficult to imagine anyone creating a better Doom than Mezco recently did.  The leather or corduroy or burlap or whatever they're using for his outfit doesn't look nearly as awkward in twelfth scale as most of their stitched clothing does.

On 7/18/2024 at 8:52 AM, fantastic_four said:

How do you like him?  I passed because they scaled him to be the exact same height as most 6-foot characters when Cable is supposed to be 6' 8".  Mezco has a limited number of body sculpts that they re-use a lot, and since they layer cloth or pleather over them they rarely make new body molds for differently-sized characters.

I don't like the cloth aesthetic much in twelfth scale because the stitching and other details look WAY bigger than they actually would in true scale, but when Mezco mixes pleather with cloth I tend to really like it.  Cable here has that aesthetic so he looks great.

The Mezco Black Bolt and Magneto also use that pleather/cloth mix and I like both of those.

Wolverine looks more awkward, but I have him and still generally enjoy him.

The Fantastic Four set is mostly cloth, but I still like them particularly Thing and HERBIE.  Doctor Doom is a masterpiece, best Mezco I've ever seen and it's difficult to imagine anyone creating a better Doom than Mezco recently did.  The leather or corduroy or burlap or whatever they're using for his outfit doesn't look nearly as awkward in twelfth scale as most of their stitched clothing does.

I like this version of Cable although I really wanted the Amazing Yamaguchi figure but that one's a bit too pricey to justify me spending that kind of loot on him. The Black Bolt sounds interesting so I might hunt him down but other than the mezco Doom and the Crow, I'm perfectly fine with certain other brands as long as they display nicely. Slight variations in scale are ok with me too but as far as the soft goods, I could take it or leave it. The sculpt detail and articulation are the more important details I look for in a figure since I display them in poses that hide those variations.

I have the Mezco Crow figure, and I absolutely love it.  I also have Mezco Constantine, and he's pretty good although I don't have much attachment to the character.

Mezco Black Bolt was in a 2-pack with Lockjaw.  Getting a Lockjaw was the main reason I snagged that set, but Black Bolt is superb as well.  Here's both below back when I first got them at their 2021 release showing Lockjaw's light-up eyes.

AP1GczNKXZM7wAPZf0M0opakkuMrfMYCsGux3tNH

Edited by fantastic_four

On 7/24/2024 at 6:05 PM, taro90 said:

ScreenShot2024-07-24at5_59_55PM.thumb.png.2b4c248466c89e0f4112570e288757aa.png

Let's hope it's sooner than later.......:wishluck: :wishluck: :popcorn:

Hmmmm.... @CGC Mike - Just sayin' I would have no problem beta testing this for CGC and sending maybe a couple of Vintage MOC SW Luke Jedi's from 1983 in.  Just sayin'

• Administrator
On 7/24/2024 at 6:05 PM, taro90 said:

ScreenShot2024-07-24at5_59_55PM.thumb.png.2b4c248466c89e0f4112570e288757aa.png

Let's hope it's sooner than later.......:wishluck: :wishluck: :popcorn:

I thought I remembered seeing this.  I did a search before answering Buzzetta's question, and could not find it.  Thanks for posting it. 

On 7/24/2024 at 5:52 PM, fantastic_four said:

I remember those cards.  They were built into the back of the package, right?  Pretty sure I clipped those out.

Yeah be it a single figure on a card or if it was a vehicle with a figure in box there would be a file card to cut out.