• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS Appreciation Thread

1,099 posts in this topic

Love that Cover!!!

Waiting to see Doug's TOS's. cloud9.gif

Still waiting.

a_men_wait.gif

I think you are going to have to wait till after the NCAA finals game. Hope it doesn't go into OT 27_laughing.gif

Dan

It's half time and it doesn't look like OT to me. I go to U of Illinois and it's pretty quiet on campus after that half. crazy.gif

Football,

The pleasure is all mine. Great purchase on a seriously undervalued book (1st Black Widow).

Just buy one less karat for Liz and there's the TOS 52 purchase!!

Best,

Doug

I already bought her the ring last year. I refer to it as "her Amazing Fantasy #15." 27_laughing.gif

I see that there will only be issues 41-50 tonight so these will be expensive. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow for issues 70-99. popcorn.gif

They're up and most of the early ones [39-58] are sold already. Christo_pull_hair.gif Of course, I couldn't afford most of them. shy.gif But that's beside the point.

Here's some inside info.

1) FFB- Nice TOS #52. Saw it in person. thumbsup2.gif

2) Yes, a lot of the first group was pre-sold (none to me). frown.gif Doug made it clear that some books would be pre-sold, but there was no harm in emailing him asking for a specific book.

3) I don't believe anywhere near as many of the later issues are pre-sold, so tomorrow and the next night should be exciting.

4) He only bought the Pacific Coast books through issue #76, therefore unless someone else is selling TOS's, I believe that would be the last issue listed. So #77-99 might not be represented.

Hope everyone gets something (wish I could afford the #41 as it is SWEETTTTTTTT).

The #46 and #47 9.2 were within my range but both presold for $1K. frown.gif The #50 in 9.6 is awesome! laugh.gif Does anyone else think $2500 is very reasonable? confused-smiley-013.gif

TOS-50-96.jpg

Okay I have to find a 9.2 copy of this issue. What a spectacular cover. 893applaud-thumb.gif I think $2,500 is a steal, these books are very undervalued. Now $8,800 for that Angel cover is getting a little crazy.

I hear you on the #46 and #47 CGC 9.2's at $1K. I just picked up a nice CGC 9.0 of #47, but I did tell Doug I wanted the #46. Unfortunately some else beat me to it also. frown.gif

I've seen the #50 twice and it's a beauty. Some one bought it for $2,500, so it's a reasonable price to someone. I'm just glad I have a CGC 9.0 copy that I got from Heritage about two years ago for $200. cloud9.gif

Are TOS's undervalue?. In the guide absolutely as many of these books will sell for 4-5 times guide in CGC 9.4 (the average multiple for nice SA CGC 9.4 books is more in the 2.5-3.5 times guide range).

Stunningly beautiful examples of TOS 41-51 sold yesterday, but who among us can afford most of them? confused-smiley-013.gif

I always liked this cover especially, although it makes the Black Knight look more than a little like Forbush Man:

TOS73.jpg

Stunningly beautiful examples of TOS 41-51 sold yesterday, but who among us can afford most of them?

I always liked this cover especially, although it makes the Black Knight look more than a little like Forbush Man:

Obviously, someone can afford them as they Pre-Sold. Once again, since these books rarely ever come up for sale in CGC 9.4 or better, those few select collectors know it might be Now or Never. For me, I'll accept a nice CGC 9.0 copy for about 20-25% of the CGC 9.4 price. Even the CGC 9.2's went for around a third of the same issue in CGC 9.4. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a great #73. My early TOS's are taking shape, but I have very little after #66 (many which have awesome covers). thumbsup2.gif

I see that there will only be issues 41-50 tonight so these will be expensive. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow for issues 70-99. popcorn.gif

Can't wait to see the rest of the run tonight. Wonder if the #58 is pre-sold. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see that there will only be issues 41-50 tonight so these will be expensive. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow for issues 70-99.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can't wait to see the rest of the run tonight. Wonder if the #58 is pre-sold.

I could be wrong, but I don't think a #58 will be for sale. The PC copy is only a CGC 9.2, therefore Doug isn't selling his copy. I told him I wanted the PC copy, but at this point he doesn't want to break up the set-up. frown.gif

not me. But they all look great.

okay, though, heres a question: has anyone added up the sales posted so far? As amazing as they have been, so far it totals only $65K. So as of now, with the earliest most expensive 20 issues gone, and only the relatively modest #s 63 - 77 left (another $12K??), Doug still needs around $75K to recoup the reported $155K he paid for the PC run... or something like that. Gee, Id love these books too, but at what price? Im thinking the 9.0s and 9.2s look pretty sweet and cheap, too!

not me. But they all look great.

okay, though, heres a question: has anyone added up the sales posted so far? As amazing as they have been, so far it totals only $65K. So as of now, with the earliest most expensive 20 issues gone, and only the relatively modest #s 63 - 77 left (another $12K??), Doug still needs around $75K to recoup the reported $155K he paid for the PC run... or something like that. Gee, Id love these books too, but at what price?

I think it's no surprise that Doug probably had to pay an extra premium to pry those PCs out of Mark Arrand's hands, so I doubt he was under any illusions that he was going to be able to fully recoup his costs. Also, his TOS #40, which is in the Vault, would make a pretty decent dent on the $75K if he decided to price it to move. Not a bad double to have sitting around! Also, the non-PCs that he's keeping because they're of higher grade than the PCs might knock a bit more off the deficit.

yeah... depending on his cost basis on these reject doubles(!) he has been selling, he may have already recouped $40-50K of the PC run price. But with only another 10-15 to go, it puts the run at around 90. God Bless Doug! He just looooves comics, dont he?