• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS Appreciation Thread

1,099 posts in this topic

Issue #54 CGC 9.4 with white pages for $1,000 looks like one heck of a deal to me in comparison to some of the other issues and it has one of the better covers.

foreheadslap.gif I sold a 9.4 copy for much less 2 years ago!

Actually, I was thinking the 9.6 #56 was a good price at $1,750. I guess it's not a particularly notable issue, but I never see it come up in HG.

okay, though, heres a question: has anyone added up the sales posted so far? As amazing as they have been, so far it totals only $65K. So as of now, with the earliest most expensive 20 issues gone, and only the relatively modest #s 63 - 77 left (another $12K??), Doug still needs around $75K to recoup the reported $155K he paid for the PC run... or something like that. Gee, Id love these books too, but at what price? Im thinking the 9.0s and 9.2s look pretty sweet and cheap, too!

Quick Hits:

1) Remember what I said about one sale creating multiple sales. In other words, Doug upgraded to the PC, therefore someone else UPGRADED their 9.0 or 9.2 to a 9.4, and then SOLD their copy. To the best of my knowledge Doug did not have doubles.

2) 9.0 and 9.2's are usually fine for me. I purchased one book, but missed out on at least three others that I would have paid full price for. Most books before #59 DO NOT come up for sale in CGC 9.0 or higher very often. A good gauge of avialabiltiy of any title is Metro's site.Early High Grade TOS, TTA, Strange Tales and JIM are much harder to find then almost any other Marvel titles.

3) To Doug, the Pacific Coast pedigree is by far and a way his favorite. He clearly paid a very high premium, but also realize that many of the Pacific Coast copies GRADE HIGHER then his copy.Doug had two 9.8 from #40-76 while the PC coast run had 8. hail.gif

I believe there will still be plenty of books that have not pre-sold from his last group (issues 63-76).

Issue #54 CGC 9.4 with white pages for $1,000 looks like one heck of a deal to me in comparison to some of the other issues and it has one of the better covers.

It's another great Mandarin cover that I would like to own in HG.

TOS-54-94.jpg

Others I would be interested in are the #56 9.2, except for the miswrap, and #59 9.0, except I didn't like the way the top of the book looked. When I'm spending over $500 I want it to look really nice.

After #59, I don't have as much interest. There are some cool covers, especially the cool Mandarin cover of #85. But, I'd rather focus on the key issues from #39-#59 which are going to take forever to collect the way it is without spending money on #60-#99.

Congratulations to everyone who was able to buy one of Doug's great TOS books! thumbsup2.gif

Others I would be interested in are the #56 9.2, except for the miswrap, and #59 9.0, except I didn't like the way the top of the book looked. When I'm spending over $500 I want it to look really nice.

After #59, I don't have as much interest. There are some cool covers, especially the cool Mandarin cover of #85. But, I'd rather focus on the key issues from #39-#59 which are going to take forever to collect the way it is without spending money on #60-#99.

Congratulations to everyone who was able to buy one of Doug's great TOS books!

I agree with you on the TOS #59 CGC 9.0 (that's been on the site for awhile). The overhang is just to dented up for me. Of course, it's probably a perfect candidate to be pressed, but that doesn't mean the book would be more then a 9.0, as CGC doesn't deduct much for bent overhangs unless there is a lot of stress.

Also agree that I'm not as interested in the later issues. But drop off is really #65 (first Red Skull) as #63 and #65 are minor key books.

Regarding #56's cover, it really doesn't impress me. 893whatthe.gif I just got a nice CGC 9.0 copy, but in particular, I not a white cover fan. To me #52, #55 and #60 are much cooler covers. Just my opinion. grin.gif

After #59, I don't have as much interest. There are some cool covers, especially the cool Mandarin cover of #85.

Also agree that I'm not as interested in the later issues.

Good news, less competition for me and cheaper prices. grin.gifpoke2.gif I figure I could piece together a nice set of issues 80-99 in 9.2 for around $2,000. Love those early issues but for now I'd rather have 20 nice copies vs 2. flowerred.gif

Good news, less competition for me and cheaper prices. I figure I could piece together a nice set of issues 80-99 in 9.2 for around $2,000. Love those early issues but for now I'd rather have 20 nice copies vs 2.

It's definitely a trade-off. The main difference is if you HAVE to sell, the earlier issues will get close to market value at any time. The later issues, might or might not. A perfect example was the one you just got off Heritage. Great price for you, but the seller probably only got 60% of guide for that book.

Nice thing is, for $2000 you can get em all in 9.2, then for another $2000 you can upgrade to 9.4 and sell the 9.2s! And for another $4000 you can upgrade your 9.4s to 9.6s, its like an endless and viscious cycle of money spending.

Nice thing is, for $2000 you can get em all in 9.2, then for another $2000 you can upgrade to 9.4 and sell the 9.2s! And for another $4000 you can upgrade your 9.4s to 9.6s, its like an endless and viscious cycle of money spending.

Just like crack. insane.gif

My rule is to only upgrade if I'm not happy with my copy.

In other words, if I'm happy with my 9.0, why do I want to spend 3 to 4 times more just so the Label says 9.4. That said, if the 9.4 is a significantly better then my 9.0, or the book is relatively inexpensive, I'll admit I'll probably upgrade just to say I have a 9.4. insane.gif

Of course now that I have decided to start putting my books in the Registry, I can see my EGO getting a lot more involved. blush.gif

A lot of them are selling.

I just snagged one, and had already confirmed another (i.e. pre-sold). Now if a few people just won't pay Doug, I could get some more. tongue.gif

I bit the bullet and overpaid to acquire my first book from the Curator pedigree. Sometimes, you just gotta throw the guide out the window and click that mouse!

bit the bullet and overpaid to acquire my first book from the Curator pedigree. Sometimes, you just gotta throw the guide out the window and click that mouse!

Curator's aren't easy to find. Which one did you get? The #68 or #75? thumbsup2.gif

I picked up the #67 CGC 9.4 White page book. While the multiple of guide is high, there is only one 9.8 (the Pacific Coast) and two 9.4's (so the copy I got is at least in the top three at this moment). Felt like a Now or Never on that book.

There was one other book I was debating, but it's already sold. All in all, very strong prices and I'm pretty pysched about all the TOS's I acquired in the past month. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Harry,

Great memory. Mooseheads and Molsons all day, baby!! I haven't had one of either it seems in years. Why do Canadian beers seem to be scarce?? Maybe it's just me but I can't find them in bars or stores.

Nothing like a Molson Golden and a high grade TOS on a sunday afternoon.

Doug

Lokman,

Sorry, but a frequent visitor to my site (he actually never had bought a book before) emailed me and was all over that book. I actually had it priced lower than I should have as the PC copy is costing me a LOT more (I guess Mark really has a thing for that cover, understandably so). It didn't take much to sell it to this guy and he bought it at my ask price.

I apologize if anyone was disappointed when a lot of the initial listings were pre-sold. I made it a priority to start selling these books as quickly as possible to help me pay off Mark.

Best,

Doug