• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS Appreciation Thread

1,099 posts in this topic

Filosa,

Living appx 12 minutes away couldn't possibly hurt your chances to pick up some TOS's. Have a blank check in hand and an open mind and I'll make it as painless as possible!!

Great thread, guys. Couldn't have come at a better time, either.

Filosa,

Living appx 12 minutes away couldn't possibly hurt your chances to pick up some TOS's. Have a blank check in hand and an open mind and I'll make it as painless as possible!!

So I have to have and "OPEN" mind and an "OPEN" check book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To bad you don't drink or I would have bought your entire collection for $10K (amazing what people agree to do when they are drunk, and put in compromising positions). grin.gif

And stop telling Scott that he got a great deal on the TOS #52. You guys are making me feel bad. mad.gif

All that said, I'm going to be doing a yay.gif in a few weeks as my TOS run is starting to take shape. tongue.gif

Once Doug finalized the TOS Pacific Coast deal, this became his "beater" copy of TOS#52 27_laughing.gif (now my grail copy):

TOS-52-94.jpg

Congrats on the pick up. I know you've had a hard on for it for some time. thumbsup2.gif

Filosa,

So I have to have and "OPEN" mind and an "OPEN" check book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

To bad you don't drink or I would have bought your entire collection for $10K (amazing what people agree to do when they are drunk, and put in compromising positions). grin.gif

And stop telling Scott that he got a great deal on the TOS #52. You guys are making me feel bad. mad.gif

All that said, I'm going to be doing a yay.gif in a few weeks as my TOS run is starting to take shape. tongue.gif

uhh.........actually, Doug likes his MOOSEHEAD................

looks like your TOS run is really starting to take shape. sorry i couldn't be of help........... sorry.gif

looks like your TOS run is really starting to take shape. sorry i couldn't be of help...........

Maybe you are helping me with the MOOSEHEAD info. devil.gif

And I'm sure you have some Sid books that I'd like, but it's tough prying those babies from your hands. tongue.gif

Filosa,

looks like your TOS run is really starting to take shape. sorry i couldn't be of help........... sorry.gif

Mossehead, that's Canadian beer isn't it? Hey Steve what took you so long to buy a TOS#39? poke2.gifstooges.gif

Hey Steve what took you so long to buy a TOS#39?

Honestly, I had a nice copy for over a decade. Had it graded and it came back CGC 7.5 but with slight glue on the spine (i.e. PLOD). Sold it maybe a year ago and have been in the market for a nice copy since then.

I also hadn't been focusing on a TOS run, simply because the early issues are almost never available for sale in High Grade. I was lucky to get a nice CGC 9.0 copy of any issues from #42-57 for a reasonable (yes, any Marvel can be had if you want to pay whatever it takes), once every 4-6 months. But lately, I have worked out a few deals to get a decent amount of early issues, and I believe the sale of the Pacific Coast will have a trickle down effect (similar to when Doug bought the Pacific Coast Tales to Astonish). cloud9.gif

Pacific Coast goes to Doug

Doug sells his to various collectors

Various collectors now have CGC 9.4 or higher copies and sell their slightly lesser copies (hopefully CGC 8.5's to CGC 9.2's).

One sale can created several sales. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm slowly working on a TTA/TOS run mostly the higher issues (70 and above) in 9.2 and some higher as these make for some of the coolest books from that era. Looks like I can get most 9.2's for around $100 so it shouldn't take too long to get a decent run put together. I sold my TOS#39 which was only a 5.0 but I will pick up a better copy in the near future.

Should be a feeding frenzy tomorrow with a lot of BIN's being hit, I'm looking forward to it.

Should be a feeding frenzy tomorrow with a lot of BIN's being hit, I'm looking forward to it.

Good choice on TTA's and TOS.

Sub-Mariner and Hulk are popular Marvel characters and Iron Man and Captain America even more so.

I would like to complete my runs of Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish and Tales of Suspense in the next two years. Obviously, money is a factor, but actually finding the books in HG is the real challenge for me. Certain issues just aren't available very often, and obviously sell quickly and for a premium when the do.

I would now say that more then half my purchases come from other collectors or buying from Doug, prior to him putting the book on his site (like I did with the Mass Strange Tales run, and his own personal TTA run). I'm still kind of regretting not making an offer on the Subby Oakland run, which while not necessarily out of my price range, would have put a big time damper on me picking up all these nice TOS's I've been accumulating.

Last issue before he changes to the farmilar Gold and Red..........

772218-TOS%2347.jpg

589a8e6c34594_772218-TOS47.jpg.64f6cc9cb0d582cf19e5cce05cc70439.jpg

Brad,

I was a drug dealer er, I mean attorney, before I started pedigree. Thanks for saying hello and I hope all is well for you.

Best,

Doug

Who loves ya' baby? Take care Cap! hi.gif

Filosa,

Now you sound like a dentist! foreheadslap.gif

Filosa,

Or a dominatrix. tongue.gif

Filosa,

Or a dominatrix. tongue.gif

You think dominatrix, I think dentist. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think I gotta' get out more. yeahok.gif

So will we actually be seeing books for sale or Pre-sold books? The anticipation is killing me.

Both.

There are still plenty of books left, but I do know that some have sold (i.e. TOS #52 CGC 9.4 to FFB, dangnabit). mad.gif