• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your "Space Girls"
1 1

350 posts in this topic

captainrocket1.jpg

Any idea who is the artist on that cover Richard

Harry Harrison I believe:

"In art school I teamed up with Wally Wood, and you'll see a lot of old comics signed Harrison-Wood, and that's the Harrison and that's the Wood. Wally and I worked together for years, we started in school, selling our stuff, and goodness knows which magazines we worked for: there were 650 titles a month in those days, things like Captain Rocket and Rangeland Romances.

Despite that quote from Harrison, the cover to Capt Rocket is almost certainly the work of Harry Anderson.

Harrison may have done work on Capt Science with Wood as well as other titles and just confused the names after the passing of years.

Thanks Adam! In that quote, Harrison isn't actually saying he worked on Captain Rocket - more like he cant remember ('goodness knows which magazines we worked for'). But it has been used by others to credit him.

In passing, the figure of Captain Rocket seems far better realized than the space girl behind him. She is a bit more reminiscent of Harrison's style, maybe. I look at the figure of Captain Rocket, and -of all people - think of Everett. (The hair, the knuckles of the hand...)

But you wouldn't say Anderson without very good reason!

It's a very long time since I read a copy. Who did the interior art?

P.L. was a tiny publisher and I know from interior art on a different issue that Harry Anderson drew for them. It's not Everett, though Anderson is sometimes mistaken for Everett (see Marvel Tales 127), and I get a very heavy "Anderson" vibe from it.

The interior art/stories are wacky 50s sci-fi and quite fun. The first story is beautifully drawn though I don't think it's Anderson and don't have a good idea of who it might be. The other stories are inconsistently drawn but in a consistently enthusiastic fashion.

captainrocket1.jpg

Any idea who is the artist on that cover Richard

Harry Harrison I believe:

"In art school I teamed up with Wally Wood, and you'll see a lot of old comics signed Harrison-Wood, and that's the Harrison and that's the Wood. Wally and I worked together for years, we started in school, selling our stuff, and goodness knows which magazines we worked for: there were 650 titles a month in those days, things like Captain Rocket and Rangeland Romances.

Despite that quote from Harrison, the cover to Capt Rocket is almost certainly the work of Harry Anderson.

Harrison may have done work on Capt Science with Wood as well as other titles and just confused the names after the passing of years.

Thanks Adam! In that quote, Harrison isn't actually saying he worked on Captain Rocket - more like he cant remember ('goodness knows which magazines we worked for'). But it has been used by others to credit him.

In passing, the figure of Captain Rocket seems far better realized than the space girl behind him. She is a bit more reminiscent of Harrison's style, maybe. I look at the figure of Captain Rocket, and -of all people - think of Everett. (The hair, the knuckles of the hand...)

But you wouldn't say Anderson without very good reason!

It's a very long time since I read a copy. Who did the interior art?

P.L. was a tiny publisher and I know from interior art on a different issue that Harry Anderson drew for them. It's not Everett, though Anderson is sometimes mistaken for Everett (see Marvel Tales 127), and I get a very heavy "Anderson" vibe from it.

The interior art/stories are wacky 50s sci-fi and quite fun. The first story is beautifully drawn though I don't think it's Anderson and don't have a good idea of who it might be. The other stories are inconsistently drawn but in a consistently enthusiastic fashion.

I was thinking Vince Colletta but he might have inker to polish it up. hm

Somebody please just post the whole run of Planet all at once...

OK :sumo:

1-12_zpsb683cfaf.jpg

13-24_zps5700f1cc.jpg

25-36_zps8d5b2a7f.jpg

37-48_zpsdb7af3ee.jpg

48-59_zps9f1ec7af.jpg

60-73_zpsf43d1d1b.jpg

^^

....Awesome, Karl............. and you're just a soldier like most of the rest of us, not a high roller. What an example of the rewards of focus and perserverance :golfclap: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u