• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darwyn Cooke battling cancer

58 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of the DC animated style. A great loss. This immediately reminds me of another extremely talented cartoonist who worked in this same field, Mike Parobeck ; both taken from us far, far too soon.

Met him at Baltimore Comic Con last year, we had a brief discussion of the spelling of our first name. He gave some very funny insight, he will sorely be missed R.I.P. :sorry:

I had a chance to meet him a year or so back at the Niagara Falls CC show and I missed my opportunity . Amazing talent whom I Would have been honored to get a simple sketch from. Thoughts and prayers with his family

Awful. Just awful. Never got a chance to meet him personally but I loved the sensibility behind his art. He had an amazing ability to convey nostalgia in his work. Horrible news.

Wow, this happened fast! The local news here in Halifax only posted a report about his entering palliative care yesterday. I have never met Mr. Cooke, but the scene in Atlantic Canada is small and I know a lot of people who knew him well. The one thing that stands out about him is how invested he was in bringing young artists under his wing here in Nova Scotia (like Faith Erin Hicks). This is a major blow. I want to offer my condolences to his friends and family. Nova Scotia has lost it's greatest comic creator.

He was one of my absolute favourites, his artwork always put a smile on my face. Truly one of the best artists of the modern era, his style was so beautiful. RIP.

I met him at the Boston ComicCon in either 2010 or 2011, I don't remember. I was recently turned on to him by my friend who was a huge fan. He signed my New Frontier TPB, and my friend brought his New Frontier Absolute edition. Darwyn said to my friend "If you bought this, you must be a real fan," and drew a Batman head sketch in addition to the signature. He was really wonderful, and spoke to us for about 10 minutes. We raved about his Parker novel that had come out earlier, and urged him to do more. He told us, in sotto voce, that he had a contract to do a whole series of them, but he hadn't announced it yet. We were giddy like schoolchildren.

A little while later, I got to buy this beauty:

41NihGCcJWL._SX298_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Such a tremendous storyteller. RIP.