• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, manetteska said:

A person brought in his entire Punisher collection -- including any non-Punsiher titles he appeared in -- to a local store.

I specifically asked the worker if he saw an orange Punisher 100 to give me a call. Didn't hear anything back but eventually found myself in the store again. The guy remembered me and said they didn't have the orange issue but did have the shiny 100 and 101-104 (which I also asked about). I flipped through some other Punisher boxes and came back to the stack of 100+ he pulled for me; the last one in the pile was the orange variant and I was completely confused; when ringing me up he even pointed to it and said that one's a bit more since it's a double-sized issue.

Great stuff! I've only ran across the 100 variant once

50 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm putting together a 9.8 set of Countdown signed by Jae Lee. I've had a couple of duds. I'd be willing to buy any 9.8 candidates.

I love that run, and I love that Jae Lee did the covers.

let's not bring any attention to the Countdown books, thanks. 

16 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I'm putting together a 9.8 set of Countdown signed by Jae Lee. I've had a couple of duds. I'd be willing to buy any 9.8 candidates.

I love that run, and I love that Jae Lee did the covers.

They are nice but not 9.8. Maybe the 100; haven't checked it out fully yet. 

I've been searching for a 2nd print newsstand Superman #50 since reading about it. I thought it was first mentioned in this thread when the Batman #457 2nd print newsstand was first mentioned at how rare it was. I now see there are 6 graded copies of the #50. Haven't seen any of these for sale though. Wondering how much these would go for. I saw someone offering like $300 for a 9.0 or better. With 9.4 #457 selling for like $2600, I can just imagine the Sup would sell just as high if not higher.

So people care about those Punisher countdown books now? I pulled a complete set of the countdown books as well as the non-deluxe 100 out of the 50 cent bins I'd say two, maybe three years ago, could barely give them away, including on these boards, even though I was pretty sure they were hard to find. I probably sold them for a song, as I don't have them anymore. Oh well, another example of my selling too soon!

So people care about those Punisher countdown books now? I pulled a complete set of the countdown books as well as the non-deluxe 100 out of the 50 cent bins I'd say two, maybe three years ago, could barely give them away, including on these boards, even though I was pretty sure they were hard to find. I probably sold them for a song, as I don't have them anymore. Oh well, another example of my selling too soon!

6 hours ago, F For Fake said:

they care enough, if you're buying them cheap.

On 12/3/2017 at 7:37 PM, Davidone said:

I'm sure the number is low but I wonder how long they have been noting the difference between the two editions. Wow, only 15 and none above a 9.4. Too bad mine is probably a 7.0....

I'm going to have to check my copy now. Curious as to it's condition. I've had it for so long so I do not remember. 

On 4/22/2018 at 12:37 PM, Philflound said:

I've been searching for a 2nd print newsstand Superman #50 since reading about it. I thought it was first mentioned in this thread when the Batman #457 2nd print newsstand was first mentioned at how rare it was. I now see there are 6 graded copies of the #50. Haven't seen any of these for sale though. Wondering how much these would go for. I saw someone offering like $300 for a 9.0 or better. With 9.4 #457 selling for like $2600, I can just imagine the Sup would sell just as high if not higher.

There are 6 graded copies of the 2nd print? Since CGC doesn't break out the newsstand vs. direct, are they newsstand 2nds? I would imagine they're direct seconds, no?

I was the one offering $300. No takers, yet. ;)

11 hours ago, F For Fake said:

People definitely care now.  

Patrick

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There are 6 graded copies of the 2nd print? Since CGC doesn't break out the newsstand vs. direct, are they newsstand 2nds? I would imagine they're direct seconds, no?

I was the one offering $300. No takers, yet. ;)

Census shows 6 graded 2nd print editions. They would break them out like they did for the Batman #457. My apologies on misreading. I guess there are still no graded copies out there. I saw someone post which I thought was in this thread that they knew of only 1 copy in existence.

14 minutes ago, Philflound said:

Census shows 6 graded 2nd print editions. They would break them out like they did for the Batman #457. My apologies on misreading. I guess there are still no graded copies out there. I saw someone post which I thought was in this thread that they knew of only 1 copy in existence.

Yeah, that would be me. I've been scouring eBay for over a year to find another. No luck.

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

People definitely care now.  

Patrick

Should have held onto them a bit longer, then. I remember finding complete runs of Punisher, War Journal and War Zone, including non-deluxe covers in the 50 cent sale at my LCS. I do a lot of dollar bin digging, and was sure that I hadn't run into those books often, if at all, so I scooped them all up. I think I might have squeezed $10 out of one or two of them, but otherwise didn't have much luck. Should have listened to my gut, which told me that they were special. Oh well, it happens all the time. Sometimes you score, sometimes you sell too soon. Let's not even talk about my Walking Dead 1 9.8... :facepalm:

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

Should have held onto them a bit longer, then. I remember finding complete runs of Punisher, War Journal and War Zone, including non-deluxe covers in the 50 cent sale at my LCS. I do a lot of dollar bin digging, and was sure that I hadn't run into those books often, if at all, so I scooped them all up. I think I might have squeezed $10 out of one or two of them, but otherwise didn't have much luck. Should have listened to my gut, which told me that they were special. Oh well, it happens all the time. Sometimes you score, sometimes you sell too soon. Let's not even talk about my Walking Dead 1 9.8... :facepalm:

Please tell me the story about WD 9.8!!  coudn't be worse than the guy who lost 7500 bitcoins in a landfill !