• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Yes and the newsstand I think has the bar code cut out of the cover I think. I have never seen one in hand.

White covers are variants. And this auction below has a newsstand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Marvel-Amazing-Spiderman-400-NM-Rare-10-htf-Newsstand-Variant-UPC-4-95-Key-/162476622545?hash=item25d45c82d1:g:YgAAAOSwvKtY8x~A

5 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yes and the newsstand I think has the bar code cut out of the cover I think. I have never seen one in hand.

White covers are variants. And this auction below has a newsstand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Marvel-Amazing-Spiderman-400-NM-Rare-10-htf-Newsstand-Variant-UPC-4-95-Key-/162476622545?hash=item25d45c82d1:g:YgAAAOSwvKtY8x~A

That cut out does not jibe with the images on mcs. Odd.

907381.jpg876853.jpg675129.jpg

I sold one a few months ago but did not know about the white/grey distinction. I wonder which it was? I hope someone got a deal, no biggie to me.

On 4/10/2017 at 5:13 PM, ygogolak said:

Wasn't Youngblood the first book out of Image? They may not have had all of the distribution setup at that point.

Youngblood was the first, but Image was tied to Malibu at the beginning. I don't know the exact relationship, but I imagine the logistical stuff like distribution would have been handled by Malibu.

18 hours ago, Bird said:

That cut out does not jibe with the images on mcs. Odd.

I sold one a few months ago but did not know about the white/grey distinction. I wonder which it was? I hope someone got a deal, no biggie to me.

The back cover overlay has a cut-out for the UPC on the enhanced edition (both direct and newsstand).

I doubt you had a white variant.

2 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I like giveaways and this is one of the toughest from a major publisher in the 90's. I've only run across it one time. Luckily, they had a bunch of copies for under $1 each!

18221702_1734492559910648_229378281847111030_n.jpg

They should do a follow-up. Spider-man would get his @$$ kicked.

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

4 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I like giveaways and this is one of the toughest from a major publisher in the 90's. I've only run across it one time. Luckily, they had a bunch of copies for under $1 each!

18221702_1734492559910648_229378281847111030_n.jpg

hm Is that the one that MCS just turned down? :shy:

On 4/29/2017 at 9:56 AM, fastballspecial said:

I just found this book for the first time ever.(I mentioned it a few months ago) They had 3 copies I bought all 3 I just couldn't pass them up.

supreme.thumb.jpg.cc2273816975575800de54ba0def613f.jpg

Hope this isn't too rare.  I put 10 rounds through one at the range not that long ago...

1 hour ago, Designer Toast said:

Hope this isn't too rare.  I put 10 rounds through one at the range not that long ago...

Don't worry, the Newsstand edition is only relatively rare (compared to the Direct edition), and there is very little demand for any edition of Supreme 1. It's not even Supreme's first appearance.

On 4/30/2017 at 3:35 PM, fastballspecial said:

Found this one awhile back. Its not super hard to find, but nobody selling it seems to identify it right. I thought this was an alternative Bagley Artwork variant. Ive seen it called Newsstand variant(See the Direct Edition on the front!), and a 2nd print. Anyone clear this up?

asm400.jpg

My recollection - and this is 20+ years ago - is that comic shops had the Bagley flat cover in addition to the grey and the white. However, Newsstands ONLY got the flat cover. I need to check if my copy has the "direct edition" or not (I definitely recall buying that cover at a newsstand). I think, in any event, the "newsstand variant" simply caught on as an identifier not that it was only available at newsstands.

21 minutes ago, TSwift25 said:

My recollection - and this is 20+ years ago - is that comic shops had the Bagley flat cover in addition to the grey and the white. However, Newsstands ONLY got the flat cover. I need to check if my copy has the "direct edition" or not (I definitely recall buying that cover at a newsstand). I think, in any event, the "newsstand variant" simply caught on as an identifier not that it was only available at newsstands.

Again, newsstands only got the enhanced cover with the overlay.

On 5/14/2017 at 0:39 PM, pjammer said:

Wildcats #28 1:10 variant. Book is a ghost. I've never seen a copy and the CGC census only shows 1 graded

img046.jpg

Whoa. I've recently been working on putting together a complete WildCATS run, didn't even know that one was out there. Ugh.

3 hours ago, TSwift25 said:

There was a lot of grumbling in the '90s about publishers jacking up the price of books when they had a special cover, but the same amount of story pages. The solution was to offer a non-enhanced cover as an alternate to the pricier cover. That's probably what the dead with this book was.