• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

I was at a store this weekend that must of had at least 200 copies of old images titles and there was only one news stand issue and it was of pitt #1.

Edited by cms1

I think somewhere around my area had a newsstand. This is my second find in the last months, but both times it was 3 copies. I found 3 Supreme 1s a couple of months ago, but close by. These are the only copies I have ever found of both books. Now the Wildcats 2 I have found probably 10 copies over the years.

Edited by fastballspecial

I've managed to dig up about five copies of WildCATS 2 NS in the past few months (only one in high grade, around 9.6, the others have all been around F/VF), but have only found one NS of WildCATS 1.

I've managed to snag three or four Shadowhawk 1 NS's, but again, they've all been mid-grade. I also managed to dig up a Deathblow 1 NS (around VF+) which is the only copy I've ever personally seen.

They're fun to hunt. You don't find them often, but when you do, they're usually cheap, because they've been tossed in with all of the other Image drek.

Did anyone ever confirm if there was a Youngblood 1 NS? I've never seen one, that's for sure.

On 5/31/2017 at 6:33 AM, F For Fake said:

I've managed to dig up about five copies of WildCATS 2 NS in the past few months (only one in high grade, around 9.6, the others have all been around F/VF), but have only found one NS of WildCATS 1.

I've managed to snag three or four Shadowhawk 1 NS's, but again, they've all been mid-grade. I also managed to dig up a Deathblow 1 NS (around VF+) which is the only copy I've ever personally seen.

They're fun to hunt. You don't find them often, but when you do, they're usually cheap, because they've been tossed in with all of the other Image drek.

Did anyone ever confirm if there was a Youngblood 1 NS? I've never seen one, that's for sure.

I have been collecting them for a few years now (just the first year of Image 1's and a few random issues, like WildC.A.T.S. 2 with major alternate covers.) I have not seen newsstands for ANY early issues of Youngblood. For whatever reason, I don't think Youngblood went to newsstands at all. 

Personally, WildC.A.T.S. 1 and Deathblow 1 have been the two most difficult to find. Brigade 1 is also tough.

The Maxx 1 is extremely difficult in 9.4 - 9.8

Of all the early Image books (besides Spawn,) I think Darker Image 1 is one of the best issue to buy. It is the first appearance of the Maxx. He is still one of the more relevant of all those characters and the variants of that book still sell very well. The market will eventually realize that the NS edition is much more difficult to find than any of the "rare" gold or silver foil editions.

I still have yet to find any newsstands of Maxx #1, Darker Image #1, or Youngbloods #1. The people at my favorite shop for back issues said they don't think one exists for Youngbloods #1, so that may be the case. In the last half year, I have found 3 copies each of WildCATS #1 and #2 newsstands, a few Shadowhawk #1 newsstands, and I'm still on the lookout for Spawn #1 newsstands, which seem to have picked up steam on eBay as of late.

Found a pretty nice copy of the Spiderman Myth Monster comic at this place last week for $2, so I'm pretty excited about that.

okay people, how do you tell the newsstand on these issues? I was running my hand over shadowhawks yesterday to feel for the embossing. What about Deathblow, Pitt, Darker Image (are there barcodes or is there another way). C'mon, share the knowledge! (Please?)

3 hours ago, Bird said:

okay people, how do you tell the newsstand on these issues? I was running my hand over shadowhawks yesterday to feel for the embossing. What about Deathblow, Pitt, Darker Image (are there barcodes or is there another way). C'mon, share the knowledge! (Please?)

All newsstands have barcodes. Some issues are cheaper. I have many Witchblades that are $1.95 while their counterpart direct editions are $2.50.  The barcode is all numbers, the words DIRECT EDITION are not in with the barcode, which was released a few years later. Many of the newsstand versions have matte newsprint pages while the directs usually will have glossier pages. That should cover about most of the items. Newsstands of embossed gimmick covers will not have the gimmick to my knowledge.

20 hours ago, Davidone said:

I have been collecting them for a few years now (just the first year of Image 1's and a few random issues, like WildC.A.T.S. 2 with major alternate covers.) I have not seen newsstands for ANY early issues of Youngblood. For whatever reason, I don't think Youngblood went to newsstands at all. 

Personally, WildC.A.T.S. 1 and Deathblow 1 have been the two most difficult to find. Brigade 1 is also tough.

The Maxx 1 is extremely difficult in 9.4 - 9.8

Of all the early Image books (besides Spawn,) I think Darker Image 1 is one of the best issue to buy. It is the first appearance of the Maxx. He is still one of the more relevant of all those characters and the variants of that book still sell very well. The market will eventually realize that the NS edition is much more difficult to find than any of the "rare" gold or silver foil editions.

That's all great info. I haven't seen the Maxx NS at all. I do have 1 pretty nice Brigade 1 NS. Out of one collection I bought, about 3000 Indy books, so tons of image, I think I only pulled four or five newsstands overall.

I pulled a Cyberforce #1 and Darker Image #1 NS out of a $1 box today.  Never really hunted down Image NS's, but looking for them today made me see how much scarcer they are than the direct counterparts.

I was going through a box of stuff that I put aside for my personal collection last night, and found a Brigade 2 NS in there as well as a couple of Cyberforce NS's.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:13 PM, Philflound said:

Just picked up Youngblood V2 #1 newsstand along with Cyberforce #1,2, Maxx #1, Shadowhawk #4 with the Savage Dragon on the cover, Spawn #12, 14, 16, 17, 39, 75, 79, 112, Medieval Spawn / Witchblade #3, and Spawn Bible #1. Cleaned house of all these awesome newsstands for $1.20 or less.

Mentioned that I picked up Maxx #1 here. Not sure if people go through every page, so I wanted to repost this find from about a month ago. :)

46 minutes ago, Lobstrosity said:

Spawn newsstands are a really tough set to put together, especially in high grade. There are a lot of extremely low print runs, combined with unforgiving dark covers that show any imperfections.

They can always be identified by the barcode, but they also have a different paper stock and are sometimes lacking in bonus features.

For those interested, the set spans the main series from Spawn 1-137 with a few exceptions:
- There are no newsstand editions for issues 113,114 and 115.
- For issues 64, 101, 102, 103, 104, and 105, there were printed barcode errors that were later corrected with stickers. So there are versions with and without the stickers.
- Issues 136 and 137 (the last issues) both have a thinner barcode than the usual size.

For Curse of the Spawn, there are newsstands for every issue (1-29) except #17.

For Spawn: The Dark Ages, there are newsstands for every issue (1-28).

There are also newsstands for a number of other spin-offs, one-shots and crossovers, you can find more info here:
http://www.spawnworld.com/books/newsstand.htm

Great information, thanks for the knowledge!