• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

I have to say I am surprised at the splitting of the votes in the poll and the comments on the thread. Although I sit in the Marvel 1 camp (I think Cap 1 is a great book also), I thought for sure more folks would lean towards Cap 1 because of its stronger connection to current trends and being a current popular character. If this question was posed in comics general, I have a feeling that many more folks would have chosen Cap 1 instead of being split down the middle.

I think people will make a better decision if they have both books in front of them.

Here again is a cool photo of a kid deciding between a Marvel Comics 1 and a Cap 1 at a New York comic con in the 1960s.

Both books appear similar in grade.

It looks like he is leaning towards the Marvel 1.

ny-stand-marvel1_zps0f6ea4c3.jpg

Love Marvel 1. But it's Cap 1 for me. He's far, far more significant than Torch and Subby combined. Never cared for the cover to Marvel 1 all that much and still think it lessens the appeal of the book. Story/art-wise, the murky Subby story and the ugly Burgos art can't compare to the S&K Cap stories in Cap 1.

Love Marvel 1. But it's Cap 1 for me. He's far, far more significant than Torch and Subby combined. Never cared for the cover to Marvel 1 all that much and still think it lessens the appeal of the book. Story/art-wise, the murky Subby story and the ugly Burgos art can't compare to the S&K Cap stories in Cap 1.

and that's that.

This one is tough, real tough.

For as much as the success of Cap in the MCU has increased interest in the character, the success of Marvel films in general gets me excited about the Marvel Universe as a whole. It all began in Marvel #1, which I don't consider equivalent to Detective #1 for the reasons stated earlier in this thread.

For as great as Cap is, for as historically significant as Cap #1 is, the reality is, the character has spent decades removed from the upper echelon of heroes. I enjoyed all 3 Cap films, but let's not pretend that they're cinematic masterpieces either. Their relevance is strongest now, I'm not so sure we'll look at them in 40 years the way we look at Donner's first two Superman films.

Cap #1 is more "relevant", in a sense, than Marvel #1, but Cap is not Superman, he's not Batman and the roots of his recent ascension are not, in my opinion, deep enough to easily over-power the significance of the birth of the Marvel Universe.

In Cap #1's favor, you have real-world historical significance, arguably the most iconic cover of all-time, the appeal of S&K's timeless art and the introduction of Bucky and the Red Skull.

In Marvel #1's favor, you have the significance of the birth of the Marvel Universe, an iconic cover in its own right, underrated stories and decades of comic collecting history viewing it as THE Marvel comic of all Marvel comics.

It's close. I used to think Cap #1. But my mind might be shifting towards Marvel #1.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Just came upon this and voted for Cap. I never liked the cover to Marvel 1 nor was I really interested in the characters. Even their SA iterations leave me cold. Cap, on the other hand, was always cool to me. He was like a hint of what was to come in the Marvel SA, like a prelude to the FF and to Peter Parker. I remember the days when Marvel 1 was THE book, surpassing even Action 1 and Detective 27. But even back then it just never grabbed me. :(

I prefer Tec 27 :whee: :whee: :whee::banana: :banana: :banana::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez::idea: :idea: :idea::jokealert:

I don't... :sorry::sorry::sorry::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::slapfight::slapfight::slapfight::kidaround::kidaround::kidaround::rulez:

Marvel Comics 1 by almost a year and a half. 'Nuff said!

....that also hasn't stopped action 1/Tec 27 (and even a few other books ) from overtaking detective comics 1. :grin:

-J.

Didn't consider this a close analogy at all. Tec 1 <<<< action 1 or tec 27.

Marvel comics 1 >= cap 1

I prefer Tec 27 :whee: :whee: :whee::banana: :banana: :banana::ohnoez: :ohnoez: :ohnoez::idea: :idea: :idea::jokealert:

I don't... :sorry::sorry::sorry::golfclap::golfclap::golfclap::slapfight::slapfight::slapfight::kidaround::kidaround::kidaround::rulez:

Old age is really your enemy Richard. :censored: even you know that Marvel 1 is 4 or 5 on the list Tec 31/Batman 1 even beats Marvel 1 for the people who really know whats what. O i still want your chicago copy no :censored:. I never said i did not like Marvel 1 (shrug)

Old age is really your enemy Richard. :censored: even you know that Marvel 1 is 4 or 5 on the list Tec 31/Batman 1 even beats Marvel 1 for the people who really know whats what. O i still want your chicago copy no :censored:. I never said i did not like Marvel 1 (shrug)

The older I get the more I like what I like.

Detective 27 is arguably one of the two most important comics, no doubt. But I love Marvel 1.

The older I get the more I like what I like.

Detective 27 is arguably one of the two most important comics, no doubt. But I love Marvel 1.

I feel you. I would love to have a better copy of Marvel its right up there with the greats (worship) I am just trying to get to know you better Richard lol :censored:k you do have nice books :golfclap:whats not to like :headbang:

Edited by woowoo