• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

Uh.... Old fogie collector bias aside....Show a casual person a Marvel 1, and you get a "so what?".

Show a casual person a Cap 1 and their eyes light up and they want to hold it and see it up close.

In 5 years or less , a Marvel 1 will be in the same boat as a Detective Comics 1- still important but long in the dust of a far more important and desired book- the Cap 1. According Gator and a few others, it already happened awhile back.

(It also doesn't hurt that nearly all of Marvel/Disney's movie and TV universes are either directly or indirectly born from the Cap universe/mythos, including Cap, Red Skull, Bucky/Winter Soldier, SHEILD, Hydra, the Avengers, Inhumans, etc etc etc. If Cap isn't already Marvel's #2 character in that sense he will be soon.)

-J.

Uh.... Old fogie collector bias aside....Show a casual person a Marvel 1, and you get a "so what?".

Show a casual person a Cap 1 and their eyes light up and they want to hold it and see it up close.

The question was 'which would you prefer' not which would others prefer.

In 5 years or less , a Marvel 1 will be in the same boat as a Detective Comics 1- still important but long in the dust of a far more important and desired book- the Cap 1. According Gator and a few others, it already happened awhile back.

Cap #1 became a more valuable book due to his use in the movies and external speculation, but not a more important one.

(It also doesn't hurt that nearly all of Marvel/Disney's movie and TV universes are either directly or indirectly born from the Cap universe/mythos, including Cap, Red Skull, Bucky/Winter Soldier, SHEILD, Hydra, the Avengers, Inhumans, etc etc etc. If Cap isn't already Marvel's #2 character in that sense he will be soon.)

Actually, the Disney / Marvel universe is centered around Stark Industries. The technology, the shield, the Avengers - all Stark.

I actually thought that the Super Soldier serum was in some way as referenced in an earlier movie but I can't remember for sure.

The question was 'which would you prefer' not which would others prefer.

Cap #1 became a more valuable book due to his use in the movies and external speculation, but not a more important one.

Actually, the Disney / Marvel universe is centered around Stark Industries. The technology, the shield, the Avengers - all Stark.

I actually thought that the Super Soldier serum was in some way as referenced in an earlier movie but I can't remember for sure.

I would agree with this, but for the subtitle of the first Cap movie.

And even as far as he was retconned into the Avengers comic book, Cap is the face of the Avengers, and all of the biggest nuggets from both the film and TV universes trace their origins to a copy of Cap 1.

-J.

I will own a Cap 1.

I may own a Marvel 1.

Ask which is the more important book and I'll say Marvel. Which would I want- Cap.

Cap 1 here........ and not even a dilemma for me at all. I get the historical thing, really, but Cap by Kirby, straight to his own title (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

-J.

And if Marvel gets around to making a movie showcasing the original Torch vs the Sub-Mariner those casual observers will change their mind in a heart beat. Besides MC#1 is much tougher to acquire than a Cap#1 as you rarely see them for sale. To me it's still "the" GA Timely book to own.

-J.

And if Marvel gets around to making a movie showcasing the original Torch vs the Sub-Mariner those casual observers will change their mind in a heart beat. Besides MC#1 is much tougher to acquire than a Cap#1 as you rarely see them for sale. To me it's still "the" GA Timely book to own.

I usually hate to say something is "never going to happen". But that is never going to happen . lol

And even if it did, it would be confusing for audiences and mind of lame.

Marvel is all in on the Cap 1/Avengers universe building with the absence of the X men film rights.

-J.

Cap 1. The most patriotic and best cover of all time.

In my 40 years of collecting, I've never like that cover. I've always been put off by the color Blue/Green they used.

In my 40 years of collecting, I've never like that cover. I've always been put off by the color Blue/Green they used.

It's funny how the blue in Cap #1 is one of the things I really love about it. The rest of the Caps are VERY VERY red, so maybe it's the comparison that sets the blue apart. I do feel the blue adds to the "patriotic" feel of Cap #1.

26887046891_3f6a84b6f4_c.jpg

26978559656_7dac92bc31_h.jpg

No desire to own either, but Marvel Comics 1 is the granddaddy of Marvel comics, so that gets my vote.

I'm not sure why, but I see Cap 1 as the start of a run, rather than a showpiece. That is, if you buy a Cap 1, I expect you like Cap, and you're buying other Caps, not just waving it around to brag to everyone. I have neither the means nor the desire to build such a run, so I wouldn't want a Cap 1.

No desire to own either, but Marvel Comics 1 is the granddaddy of Marvel comics, so that gets my vote.

I'm not sure why, but I see Cap 1 as the start of a run, rather than a showpiece. That is, if you buy a Cap 1, I expect you like Cap, and you're buying other Caps, not just waving it around to brag to everyone.

...that hasn't helped detective comics #1 either. ;)

-J.

It's funny how the blue in Cap #1 is one of the things I really love about it. The rest of the Caps are VERY VERY red, so maybe it's the comparison that sets the blue apart. I do feel the blue adds to the "patriotic" feel of Cap #1.

I should qualify my post.

I don't like the Green on the Nazi uniforms. I also don't like how the book looks faded, which is often. Not many look very sharp and bright.

With Marvel #1 there are some differences with color strike on the reds (which sometimes look orange) but the palette over all is more appealing to me.

That, and I've lusted a Marvel #1 since I was a young teenager. Never felt that way about Cap #1.

It's hard for me to get behind the cover art of Marvel #1.

As a pulp style cover it's awesome!,

but I never feel it's THE Torch!

The Torch I know doesn't have a mustache and elf ears, and kept his evil grinning behind the veil of android emotion.

27140898715_ac28e5b449_b.jpg

Schomburg's first Torch in Marvel Mystery #5 feels more like the one I know.

27045692152_bec0d8a0bd_b.jpg

Now if the guy with the gun in #1 was replaced with hitler....

26534824724_3538474469_b.jpg