• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

Marvel 1

This is the only correct answer for a Timely lover. :sumo:

yup and as a true Timely enthusiast, the history of Timely with Jacquet, Goodman, and Torpey is unparalleled in comic history and it starts with Marvel 1. It may not be the "hot" book/character right now, but MC1 is earlier, scarcer and much more historically significant. The stories were so wild in the MM run, but Cap 1 certainly put Goodman in fair competition with the other comic publishers. I love Cap, but it's MC 1 for me.

It's hard for me to get behind the cover art of Marvel #1.

As a pulp style cover it's awesome!,

but I never feel it's THE Torch!

The Torch I know doesn't have a mustache and elf ears, and kept his evil grinning behind the veil of android emotion.

27140898715_ac28e5b449_b.jpg

Schomburg's first Torch in Marvel Mystery #5 feels more like the one I know.

27045692152_bec0d8a0bd_b.jpg

Now if the guy with the gun in #1 was replaced with hitler....

26534824724_3538474469_b.jpg

you will grow to like the torch on MC 1. No other book has such a wider chromatic spectrum on it's cover. Goodman was a successful pulp publisher, and he chose to hire Frank R. Paul to do the cover and had all the confidence in him. What is really a mystery is why Goodman chose the Angel for so many of the single digit covers and changed the title to MC to MMC. He certainly appeared to think the Angel was going to be a hit and chose to place him on the next two issues.

I have had both in various states. Mavel 1 may be the start of the universe but it is a conpletely irelvant book these days. I. Like the cap cover more anyway.

Cap 1 all day.

James G

Marvel 1

yup and as a true Timely enthusiast, the history of Timely with Jacquet, Goodman, and Torpey is unparalleled in comic history and it starts with Marvel 1. It may not be the "hot" book/character right now, but MC1 is earlier, scarcer and much more historically significant. The stories were so wild in the MM run, but Cap 1 certainly put Goodman in fair competition with the other comic publishers. I love Cap, but it's MC 1 for me.

Would you do this?

27073269311_a57a7cc07c_o.jpg

Marvel 1

Would you do this?

27073269311_a57a7cc07c_o.jpg

yes, but keep the Suspense 3 in there.

I have had both in various states. Mavel 1 may be the start of the universe but it is a conpletely irelvant book these days. I. Like the cap cover more anyway.

Cap 1 all day.

James G

The same sort of collector who thought it once unfathomable that AF 15 (and now Hulk 1) would or could surpass FF1 in the SA also cannot accept that the guard has already changed.

I whole heartedly agree with jgallo's comment as well as Red84's above.

-J.

I own a Cap #1 in 9.4 .. if I was offered a Marvel #1 9.4 in trade, I would make the trade, as a Marvel 1 in 9.4 would be quite rare,,,,,,

I would not trade my Cap #1 9.4 for the highest graded Marvel #1( pay copy) which is in 9.0. At one time a Marvel #1 overshadowed the Action #1.....i'm old enough to remember that so for me Marvel #1 still has that mystique ... But as far as significance as it relates to the present times, along with the art and its creators... Cap 1 for the most part comes in third to Action 1 and Detective #27 at least by todays standards IMO..

Marvel 1

Although all the arguments around caps value overshadowing marvel 1 are solid.

Marvel 1. I would answer Fantastic Four 1 too, acknowledging its declining relevance. I guess movies drive the value of comics these days. It would not surprise me if most of the younger movie patrons have never read a Captain America or Avengers comic book. I know my kids have not.

The same sort of collector who thought it once unfathomable that AF 15 (and now Hulk 1) would or could surpass FF1 in the SA also cannot accept that the guard has already changed.

The fact that one book costs less than another doesn't preclude someone from wanting it more anyway.

When MC 1 was more expensive than Cap 1, which one did you want then? Seems your position in this thread is that price determines what you like. We're not talking about which one is more expensive, we're discussing which one you want more. If the decision for you boils down to the price tag, then I'm sorry you don't enjoy your expensive books as much as I enjoy my cheap ones. :baiting:

Uh.... Old fogie collector bias aside....Show a casual person a Marvel 1, and you get a "so what?".

Show a casual person a Cap 1 and their eyes light up and they want to hold it and see it up close.

In 5 years or less , a Marvel 1 will be in the same boat as a Detective Comics 1- still important but long in the dust of a far more important and desired book- the Cap 1. According Gator and a few others, it already happened awhile back.

(It also doesn't hurt that nearly all of Marvel/Disney's movie and TV universes are either directly or indirectly born from the Cap universe/mythos, including Cap, Red Skull, Bucky/Winter Soldier, SHEILD, Hydra, the Avengers, Inhumans, etc etc etc. If Cap isn't already Marvel's #2 character in that sense he will be soon.)

-J.

And if Marvel gets around to making a movie showcasing the original Torch vs the Sub-Mariner those casual observers will change their mind in a heart beat. Besides MC#1 is much tougher to acquire than a Cap#1 as you rarely see them for sale. To me it's still "the" GA Timely book to own.

Yes, Detective 1 is the first DC and it’s not highly sought after so why consider Marvel 1 any differently? Good point, but 1) Detective 1 has an extremely simple cover that is a swipe from an earlier pulp, 2) there’s no continuing characters in Detective 1 that have survived to this day, and 3) New Fun and New Comics preceded that title so many collectors find it vague whether to truly consider Detective 1 as the first DC at all. On the other hand, Marvel 1 has a lot going for it: 1) the chromatic pulpy Paul cover with either a fuzzy or clean Torch depending which off registration you prefer most, 2) the October/November overprint variations, 3) origin of the Human Torch (continuing character throughout the 40’s and re-booted in 1962), 4) colorized origin of the Submariner (part of the current Marvel Universe), 5) mis-cut pages that prompted Goodman to switch printers, 6) controversy due to the discovery of Motion Picture Funnies Weekly 1, and 7,8,9) fantastic Everett/Burgos/Gustavson art continuing their great work with Centaur. Enough of that.

Back in the day (we’re talking 1960’s through mid 2000’s), Marvel 1 was far and away THE Timely prize to acquire. Period! Only after scoring Marvel 1 would the advanced Timely collector gravitate to the next logical steps which was owning Torch 1, Sub-Mariner 1, and Cap 1. The truly esoteric collector would also attempt to acquire Darings and Mystics for the obvious reasons (fantastic 1939-1940 Schomburg covers amidst some decidedly wacky stories). But back to Marvel vs Cap 1. What changed the values between Marvel 1, Cap 1, Torch 1 and Sub-Mariner 1? We all know it’s public awareness due to the movies. But why did Hollywood pick Cap for a movie and leave the Torch and Sub-Mariner in the dust (so far, that is)? Cap was the easiest character to work with in terms of special effects. No fire, no water. Actually, the movie industry figured that one out many years earlier with a Cap serial in 1944 and Cap TV movies in the 80’s. That may sound like a superficial way of looking at it, but it is so. However, Cap should not be minimized in any way just because he’s easier to put on a screen. Cap is the embodiment of American patriotism, and the dynamic art of Simon & Kirby and a solo Kirby continuing the character in the 60’s certainly made Cap a true superstar and the handling of the Cap character throughout the years has been more successful than even Superman (Batman’s pretty good though). In other words, Cap is amazing for all kinds of reasons, but Marvel 1 was the #1 goal and Cap #1 was secondary.

Let’s get back to Torch 1, Submariner 1 and Cap 1 as the secondary Timely prizes behind Marvel 1. I recall in the 60’s through 90’s that collectors who were lucky enough to score a Marvel 1 preferred to get a Cap 1 before they got a Torch 1 and Submariner 1. Why? Torch and Submariner were already in their Marvel 1s so naturally they wanted something different. Variety! Also, the fact that Cap 1 was an early Simon & Kirby product and that his first 10 issues rivaled the quality of content in Marvels 1-10 were the other hooks. Marvel 1-10 had the dynamic Everett and Burgos battles, Caps 1-10 were cover to cover Simon & Kirby at their absolute zenith. Also, collectors recognized that the art and story quality of Torch 2-10 and Submariner 2-10 were inconsistent in comparison to Caps 1-10. So, Captain America Comics was the cooler series to get! Cap 1 was also a little more difficult to acquire than a Torch 1 or Submariner 1. Collectors love the patriotic and the Hitler cover no doubt kept more Cap1s nestled in collector’s collections than either a Torch 1 or Submariner 1. But back to the question “which would you rather own?” As a collector who has been around the block, Marvel 1 hands down. If I wasn’t around the block I probably would say Cap 1. My answer: Get both and call it a day or at least get a Marvel 1 and Cap 2 (my favorite Cap) or a Marvel 9 and Cap 2 (you save yourself a lot of money and you have the best rendition of all three characters).

Edited by Ameri

The fact that one book costs less than another doesn't preclude someone from wanting it more anyway.

When MC 1 was more expensive than Cap 1, which one did you want then? Seems your position in this thread is that price determines what you like. We're not talking about which one is more expensive, we're discussing which one you want more. If the decision for you boils down to the price tag, then I'm sorry you don't enjoy your expensive books as much as I enjoy my cheap ones. :baiting:

Not at all, I love them all of course. :grin:

The difference is, while my inner collector wouldn't mind having a Marvel 1..... my inner 8-year old simply had to have but three books really- the first Spidey, the first Iron Man, and the first Cap.

-J.