• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cap 1 vs Marvel 1 Which would you rather own and y?
2 2

216 posts in this topic

I think people will make a better decision if they have both books in front of them.

Here again is a cool photo of a kid deciding between a Marvel Comics 1 and a Cap 1 at a New York comic con in the 1960s.

Both books appear similar in grade.

It looks like he is leaning towards the Marvel 1.

ny-stand-marvel1_zps0f6ea4c3.jpg

This photo makes the thread. (thumbs u

I don't know why he's so determined to chose between a Cap #1 and Marvel Comics #1, when he could just grab those Boy Commandos instead.

Boy Commandos is more fun than Marvel 1 and it has Kirby art. Cap 1 would probably be the first he grabbed with the BC underneath.

I think people will make a better decision if they have both books in front of them.

Here again is a cool photo of a kid deciding between a Marvel Comics 1 and a Cap 1 at a New York comic con in the 1960s.

I don't know why he's so determined to chose between a Cap #1 and Marvel Comics #1, when he could just grab those Boy Commandos instead.

Boy Commandos is more fun than Marvel 1 and it has Kirby art. Cap 1 would probably be the first he grabbed with the BC underneath.

Fantastic photo, but just watching him lift that legendary comic (don't bend that spine!) and touch it with his bare hands sends my comic-collecting spidey-sense off the charts!

Didn't they protect comics back then? Or was condition not the be-all and end-all for collectors like it is today?

Fantastic photo, but just watching him lift that legendary comic (don't bend that spine!) and touch it with his bare hands sends my comic-collecting spidey-sense off the charts!

Didn't they protect comics back then? Or was condition not the be-all and end-all for collectors like it is today?

I highly doubt "condition" mattered much to most people - especially children.

The biggest thing MC 1 has going for it is the biggest thing Tec 1 has going for it-the first books of their respective publishers.

Except of course Detective 1 isn't the first comic from that publisher (it's not even the 2nd title).

Looks to me like he is about to hand the Marvel #1 back to the guy who tried to get him to buy it instead of Cap 1.

The biggest thing MC 1 has going for it is the biggest thing Tec 1 has going for it-the first books of their respective publishers.

Except of course Detective 1 isn't the first comic from that publisher (it's not even the 2nd title).

Yes, and Marvel Comics 1 isn't "technically" the first "Marvel Comic" either.

Come on man, you know what I meant. :makepoint:

PS: Do the newcomers know there's a poll on the first page of the thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9543099&fpart=1

-J.

Yes, and Marvel Comics 1 isn't "technically" the first "Marvel Comic" either.

Come on man, you know what I meant. :makepoint:

PS: Do the newcomers know there's a poll on the first page of the thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9543099&fpart=1

-J.

Newcomers will vote for Cap 1.

Did a re- CAP Not even close Cap 1 by a toll according to the poll and the latest comments

I can see that, though I voted MC.

As a run I like Cap better, though not by a lot, and as a book Cap #1 is in many ways cooler than MC #1; S&K art, more legendary character, Hitler punching cover, but even though I'm not a big fan of the Paul cover on MC, it will always be the King of Timely keys for me, the book that began it all.

I also prefer FF #1 to AF #15, so perhaps more swayed by history than character popularity.

If you like that bend than :o :o :o :o :o

Newsstand-Detective%2027%20back%20in%201939_zpsflnwmn8u.gif

Did a re- CAP Not even close Cap 1 by a toll according to the poll and the latest comments

As a run I like Cap better, though not by a lot, and as a book Cap #1 is in many ways cooler than MC #1; S&K art, more legendary character, Hitler punching cover, but even though I'm not a big fan of the Paul cover on MC, it will always be the King of Timely keys for me, the book that began it all.

I also prefer FF #1 to AF #15, so perhaps more swayed by history than character popularity.

I buy what I like, but I would be lying if I said the "cool factor" isn't in play when I make a buying decision. If I show a copy of a Cap 1 to even a five year old, he will know exactly what he's looking at, and his face will light up. Show that same kid a copy of MC 1 and you might, at best, get a look of puzzled bewilderment, if not outright apathy. Same definitely goes for an AF 15 vs. FF 1, if not even more so. Regardless of whether or not "the movies" are responsible is besides the point (even though Cap has pretty much been consistently published for 75 years as well), these are the future collectors who will one day seek out what they know and grew up with.

Hence why when I was confronted with the choice in real life, it ended up being Cap 1 in a no-brainer from both a nostalgic standpoint , and definitely from a quasi-long term investment standpoint.

-J.

I buy what I like, but I would be lying if I said the "cool factor" isn't in play when I make a buying decision. If I show a copy of a Cap 1 to even a five year old, he will know exactly what he's looking at, and his face will light up. Show that same kid a copy of MC 1 and you might, at best, get a look of puzzled bewilderment, if not outright apathy. Same definitely goes for an AF 15 vs. FF 1, if not even more so. Regardless of whether or not "the movies" are responsible is besides the point (even though Cap has pretty much been consistently published for 75 years as well), these are the future collectors who will one day seek out what they know and grew up with.

Hence why when I was confronted with the choice in real life, it ended up being Cap 1 in a no-brainer from both a nostalgic standpoint , and definitely from a quasi-investment standpoint.

-J.

The investment angle I understand, the "what would impress a kindergartener" argument is less convincing, as Scooby Doo #1 would be a Hulk #181 level key for anyone who was a kid in the 70s by that criteria.

While there is certainly a correlation between key book demand and broader pop culture visibility, there are plenty of books from the GA that fetch huge prices from collectors born long after the books were published, and had no cultural resonance to them when they were growing up.

I voted for Cap 1 for the simple fact it introduced the most popular GA character for Timely/Marvel. I look at Marvel Comics #1 as the same as Detective #1 or one of the other pre-superhero "first" DC books - they hit the stands first but it was Action #1 and Tec #27 that had the 1st appearances that matter.

Not too sure how you can equate Marvel Comics #1 with Detective #1. (shrug) Marvel Comics #1 had Torch and Subby...Detective #1 had....

Because the comparison is apt. Johnny Storm is the "Human Torch" that everyone knows today, and MC 1 isn't Subby's first appearance (MPFW).

It's apt because you defy logic with your bias (why, I have yet to entirely figure out) and are constantly trying to build a position to fit your argument.

Green Lantern, The Flash etc all had different alter egos between GA and SA. They're still GL and the Flash and their key 1st appearances are still important.

Marvel did have Subby, Human Torch, the Angel and Kazar and while none are considered A list material right now (and that is mostly because the FF franchise has been cancelled by Marvel due to a movie rights battle) the Torch (both the android and Johhny) and Subby were mainstays at Marvel for decades starting in FF #4 through to the copper age. I'd call them B+ characters as they were heavily involved in the Marvel universe.

And the Torch and Subby were A list material during the GA.

As far as it being Subby's 1st appearance, nobody actually knows (and this coming from someone who is a fan and former owner of MPFW #1 and Marvel Comics #1). There is no clear proof as to whether MPFW #1 was ever distributed as the only known examples to ever be found were all from the estate of Lloyd Jacquet so it is more than likely that they were just trial books that never made it the public. If so, they were be akin to an ashcan (although they weren't ashcans).

So when I state the basis for my logic you call it "bias", but when you do it's..... "facts"?

Whether or not you agree with it, Subby's first appearance isn't MC 1. Nor is it Ka-zar's first appearance. A character named "human torch" first appeared in it, but has since been essentially lost to time and replaced by an entirely different character, 50+ years ago, that happens to have the same hero name.

I suppose Angel first appeared in MC 1, but that doesn't really score you any "relevance points".

No such vagaries exist with Cap 1. It's a clear cut win- first hero appearance , first nemesis appearance (and overall major Marvel Universe villain), first sidekick , classic cover, #1 issue, etc. His GA appearance wasessentially as he is today, much like Bats and Supes.

And that's still pretty cool! Just not as cool. ;)

It's no wonder Cap handily won the poll. (thumbs u

-J.

You state that DC is the first book form that publisher but it isn't.

You state that the characters in Marvel #1 are irrelevant but that wasn't the case through the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. It only became the case after the FF Movie rights were sold and the movies bombed.

There's a reason Marvel #1 was the most valuable book in the OSPG.

Cap #1 is 'more popular' than Marvel #1 for exactly the same reason that AF #15 is more popular than FF #1. Movies and people not knowing the past or getting into comics but never having read them.

And historical significance doesn't change. Popularity does.

marvel 1 - easy decision for me.

if the gold forumites voted exclusively,i have a feeling M1 wins. But add the CG crowd (where the next movie dictates popularity) and Cap 1 will take the reins.

Agreed.

Or just take a poll from 10 years ago before the Marvel cinematic universe was formed. It probably would have been Marvel #1 by a landslide.

My post from CG

Most people will find it hard to choose using the 'money is no object' mindset because humans are soooooo subjective. Marvel #1 has always been my favorite book but when I finally owned my first and only Cap #1 the gravitational pull towards that Cap #1 was so strong I had to actually recheck which book was my fave.

Once I sold my Cap #, like a light switch it wae clear again which book was my fave. It was a very enlightening self analysis.

Anybody else experience this?

For me it's always been Marvel #1 all the way and Action #1 over Tec #27.

And FF #1 over AF #15, no question. ;)

I voted for Cap 1 for the simple fact it introduced the most popular GA character for Timely/Marvel. I look at Marvel Comics #1 as the same as Detective #1 or one of the other pre-superhero "first" DC books - they hit the stands first but it was Action #1 and Tec #27 that had the 1st appearances that matter.

Not too sure how you can equate Marvel Comics #1 with Detective #1. (shrug) Marvel Comics #1 had Torch and Subby...Detective #1 had....

Because the comparison is apt. Johnny Storm is the "Human Torch" that everyone knows today, and MC 1 isn't Subby's first appearance (MPFW).

It's apt because you defy logic with your bias (why, I have yet to entirely figure out) and are constantly trying to build a position to fit your argument.

Green Lantern, The Flash etc all had different alter egos between GA and SA. They're still GL and the Flash and their key 1st appearances are still important.

Marvel did have Subby, Human Torch, the Angel and Kazar and while none are considered A list material right now (and that is mostly because the FF franchise has been cancelled by Marvel due to a movie rights battle) the Torch (both the android and Johhny) and Subby were mainstays at Marvel for decades starting in FF #4 through to the copper age. I'd call them B+ characters as they were heavily involved in the Marvel universe.

And the Torch and Subby were A list material during the GA.

As far as it being Subby's 1st appearance, nobody actually knows (and this coming from someone who is a fan and former owner of MPFW #1 and Marvel Comics #1). There is no clear proof as to whether MPFW #1 was ever distributed as the only known examples to ever be found were all from the estate of Lloyd Jacquet so it is more than likely that they were just trial books that never made it the public. If so, they were be akin to an ashcan (although they weren't ashcans).

So when I state the basis for my logic you call it "bias", but when you do it's..... "facts"?

Whether or not you agree with it, Subby's first appearance isn't MC 1. Nor is it Ka-zar's first appearance. A character named "human torch" first appeared in it, but has since been essentially lost to time and replaced by an entirely different character, 50+ years ago, that happens to have the same hero name.

I suppose Angel first appeared in MC 1, but that doesn't really score you any "relevance points".

No such vagaries exist with Cap 1. It's a clear cut win- first hero appearance , first nemesis appearance (and overall major Marvel Universe villain), first sidekick , classic cover, #1 issue, etc. His GA appearance wasessentially as he is today, much like Bats and Supes.

And that's still pretty cool! Just not as cool. ;)

It's no wonder Cap handily won the poll. (thumbs u

-J.

You state that DC is the first book form that publisher but it isn't.

You state that the characters in Marvel #1 are irrelevant but that wasn't the case through the 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's. It only became the case after the FF Movie rights were sold and the movies bombed.

There's a reason Marvel #1 was the most valuable book in the OSPG.

Cap #1 is 'more popular' than Marvel #1 for exactly the same reason that AF #15 is more popular than FF #1. Movies and people not knowing the past or getting into comics but never having read them.

And historical significance doesn't change. Popularity does.

yes Roy (thumbs u