• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

That's top of line work all around for EC as Marie Severin lends her masterful touch to the color design. :applause:

Love that Raggedy Anne and Alice cover Scrooge! That run of books has tempted me in the past, but hasn't quite made it onto my wants list...

... which is now one title shorter. Here's the other Aces High I mentioned in passing last week. There'll be a group shot of the run (of 5) in the group thread.

Here's #1, with no Comics Code marking. According to the 'Ten Cent Plague' book over 80% of the print run of the first batch of New Direction books got returned because distributors wouldn't touch them without the code marking. If that's true, I don't know why these books aren't more expensive (or hard to find):

Aces_high_1.jpg

and #3 and 5:

Aces_high_3.jpg

Aces_high_5.jpg

#5 is the only one with a cover image that's not WWI, which suggests that they were trying to reach a wider audience. Clearly it didn't work because #5 was the last.

These short New Direction runs are cool to collect - short enough to keep up interest without a long haul, and a footnote to the bigger EC story as well. What should I try next - Piracy, Valor... ? (I have Extra #4, and didn't think much of it, so it won't be that.)

Here's #1, with no Comics Code marking. According to the 'Ten Cent Plague' book over 80% of the print run of the first batch of New Direction books got returned because distributors wouldn't touch them without the code marking. If that's true, I don't know why these books aren't more expensive (or hard to find):

Bill Gaines lost nearly everything due to distributors boycotting even his post code books. The reason they aren't more expensive is that they are post-code with the stories clearly scaled back from what they previously would have been and are, therefore, less sought after. High grade copies are not scarce due to the Gaines File Copies.

Aces High is a solid series, as are most of the New Direction, save perhaps Pyschoanalysis and MD. The artwork is generallly superb as they employed their full stable of artists, many of them at the height of their artistic skill.

#21 -- very nice copy.

I have one but (ironically) it's much more raggedy.

Can you tell whether it's a George Kerr or Mo Gollub cover?

Almost done with the series?

Jack

(I haven't had time to check the gold board in ages!)

Finally got a nice looking copy of this one :)

115829.jpg

Picked an upgrade on this book recently and it has a wraparound cover. For a minute I thought it might be one of the earliest until I recalled Vacation Parade # 2 has a wraparound cover too and beats this book by 5 years. Anyone knows of any wraparound covers pre-dating the Vacation Parade?

117452.jpg.e64950807de4df7edb3e5c189c2ee1ac.jpg

The earliest wraparound cover that I can think of offhand is Bugs Bunny Large Feature Comic #8 which was published in 1942.

I was going to mention Christmas Parade #1, the first Dell Giant. But that was 1949. So, as usual, BZ is your best bet.

The earliest wraparound cover that I can think of offhand is Bugs Bunny Large Feature Comic #8 which was published in 1942.

Thanks BZ! And, :doh: I have that FC, bought it from Bill even IIRC.

Keep them coming even if they were published after the BB Large Feature.