• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,402 posts in this topic

Finally finding time to read this my recent Wild Boy buy -

117129.jpg

All the Jungle stories clichés are gathered under these covers, from the Nazi in hiding in the jungle via the lost valley of dinosaurs to the arab slave traders. I'll spare you the last one but here are scans from the first two stories -

117896.jpg.32526e9288dfef4698eef18fbcff482a.jpg

117897.jpg.62f60545d3970c69298710ef920046c9.jpg

Recently read this issue of Western Comics, # 40, a book I got from Bill a while ago.

The cover is by the ever-so-dependable Howard Sherman, one of those artists deemed part of the B-Team of the '50's DC stable who, in my opinion, could teach so much to contemporary artists. Never flashy but always grounded, these artists could generally tell a story much better than today's artists. It does help that they probably received hum-drum but better formed --script from their writers.

Under the covers, we find Sherman, Ramona Fradon, Ed Smalle, Jr. (with a very Powell-ish style in this story which has the best story of the issue) and Ruben Moreira. I will buy any book that features Moreira though I never quite know which Moreira I will get (in the same vein, buying a book with a story by Jay Scott Pike, you never know which Pike will show up, good or bad). Moreira's style and, in particular, inking changed so drastically over time that the artist can be baffling from his awkward anatomy in his Kaänga stories in Jungle from the lush inks on the best The Black Terror stories to his exquisite work on the Tarzan strips to his rocky return to comics to this story and other work around the industry. The verdict is that this was pleasant! I include one scanned page and you can see that Moreira is used to drawing action which this -script was lacking so he did his best given the circumstances.

I'd like to get more issues of Western Comics and kick myself I forgot to bid on a set of two on eBay recently :frustrated:

119045.jpg.2bcc2a0e4451387be9803726d62dc930.jpg

119046.jpg.bd7c1706f76aa05a89f1880b2f9ebd38.jpg

First from Straight Arrow. In the later issues, some stories are told from the perspective of Blaze, Straight Arrow canine side-kick.

In this sequence of panels below, while on a trading trip to the Salish and Kwakiutl indians, Blaze and Coup (another stray adopted by Straight Arrow) participate in a cart pulling competition....

Yay for Blaze and Coup!

Finally, over to Korea with Combat Casey who finds himself, yet again, in a terrible bind ... overpowered by wimen! ... but not your average women, drug smuggling women. I learned a thing or two just from the page below. Comics are really educational.

Silly women! You think they could find a better use for Combat Casey and his buddy.

;)

Edited by Hepcat

Kerry Drake # 14 indeed :thumbsup:

I keep hoping someone will reprint the Kerry Drake strips in color. I have the Blackthorne books and a handful of the 1950s series in beater shape that I picked up cheap years ago. While the art isn't as stylized a Chester Gould's Tracy, the stories are probably more entertaining.

I'm with you. I find the Kerry Drake strip has better plots than the Tracy though one would have to admit they are very similar.

Hey Hepcat, not as pretty as your copy but after being on my want list for a looong time, I grabbed a copy off eBay -

119202.jpg.3d8f81a0175ea5b9c470879b7319111f.jpg

As much as I like the painted Lone Ranger covers, I particularly like the line-drawn Gollub (?) covers in the early part of the run (1 - 31).

The Lone Ranger 4's stories end on the back cover but by 13, Dell had started to run a back cover pin-up in the same fashion they were for the Tarzan run.

119216.jpg.d064083e1204e96a9bf7e6d40ad9a6aa.jpg

119217.jpg.24f4ef4fea8abe3cd3e6f2aecc19a8bf.jpg

119218.jpg.8c9f83c2bf640a876efe9b725f5c588c.jpg

Hey Hepcat, not as pretty as your copy but after being on my want list for a looong time, I grabbed a copy off eBay.

I've found that high grade Lone Ranger comics are relatively common.

As much as I like the painted Lone Ranger covers, I particularly like the line-drawn Gollub (?) covers in the early part of the run (1 - 31).

I'm tempted to agree. The covers I don't like are the photocovers.

(shrug)

+ 1, the photo covers for that title rank at the bottom for me as well.

Finally picked up a copy of Tor # 4. I still miss # 5 to complete this short-run. It feels like it's taking me years to complete this one and it is lol

Kubert & Maurer at their best.

119300.jpg.a17217eb7783c8a7799aea235a3812ce.jpg

Kubert & Maurer at their best.

They are such fun to read!

The Lone Ranger 4's stories end on the back cover but by 13, Dell had started to run a back cover pin-up in the same fashion they were for the Tarzan run.

Nice examples of the early Lone Ranger. (thumbs u I will have to take a look, as I know I have one earlier issue that has an Indian chief on the back cover.