• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

Finally got a nice looking copy of this one :)

I love that Raggedy Ann & Andy comic! It may just owe a little something to Lewis Carroll and Walt Disney though....

Here are three more of my Lone Ranger comics:

91 File copy

15-11-201174920PM.jpg

15-11-201174933PM.jpg

15-11-201174952PM.jpg

:cool:

Edited by Hepcat

Loved the Lone Rangers. That's a series I wish I had more of in my collection ... but I can't have it all so it's on the backburner for now.

In the meantime, here are some tidbits from recent reading.

First from Straight Arrow. In the later issues, some stories are told from the perspective of Blaze, Straight Arrow canine side-kick.

In this sequence of panels below, while on a trading trip to the Salish and Kwakiutl indians, Blaze and Coup (another stray adopted by Straight Arrow) participate in a cart pulling competition and Meagher executes this very well (as always. His facial features are very idiosynchratic and might not please every reader but his anatomy is generally spot on though his skills at foreshortening are not always the best).

To see how much mutts can pull, there are plenty of videos on YouTube of various competitions.

Concerning the Kwakiutl, though accepted in the '50's, the name was a mis-categorization for several tribes, though in combination with the mention of the Salish people, Straight Arrow, himself a Comanche was clearly on a trip to the Pacific Northwest around Vancouver and is said to be trading "silver armbands and fine blankets in return for sealskin garments, whale oil and carved ivory ornaments."

Reading any Atom Age comic leads me to explore new knowledge and I love it ... though I end up reading far less.

117830.jpg.c57121a93a78576ab7d0f84d08aabb3c.jpg

From dog to God, straight from the pages of Tales from the Great Book # 2, John Lehti doing the best work of his career, as per this great visual page seen below illustrating some of the last moments of Saul as recounted in 1 Samuel 28.

Desperate and in violation of his own edict, Saul goes to see a "woman who has a familiar spirit", hence the episode is typically recalled as the visit to the Witch of Endor.

The page below draws from and plain draws this exchange:

Sam 28:8 And Saul disguised himself, and put on other raiment, and he went, and two men with him, and they came to the woman by night: and he said, I pray thee, divine unto me by the familiar spirit, and bring me him up, whom I shall name unto thee.

1 Sam 28:9 And the woman said unto him, Behold, thou knowest what Saul hath done, how he hath cut off those that have familiar spirits, and the wizards, out of the land: wherefore then layest thou a snare for my life, to cause me to die?

1 Sam 28:10 And Saul sware to her by the LORD, saying, As the LORD liveth, there shall no punishment happen to thee for this thing.

1 Sam 28:11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

Samuel is indeed summoned but only to doom Saul to death in the morrow on the battlefield.

117831.jpg.a316751684f6b7c0654b9ec10675040a.jpg

Finally, over to Korea with Combat Casey who finds himself, yet again, in a terrible bind ... overpowered by wimen! ... but not your average women, drug smuggling women. I learned a thing or two just from the page below. Comics are really educational. Robert Q. Sale at his usual best -

117832.jpg.a19000a01693523736ec7aa98ae24b4a.jpg

Finally, over to Korea with Combat Casey who finds himself, yet again, in a terrible bind ... overpowered by wimen! ... but not your average women, drug smuggling women. I learned a thing or two just from the page below. Comics are really educational. Robert Q. Sale at his usual best -

R.Q. Sale's Combat Casey stories are a blast. I've picked up other Atlas war with his stuff - but it's usually not nearly as much fun to read.

From dog to God, straight from the pages of Tales from the Great Book # 2...

very nice. you are determined to get me collecting Atlas books, aren't you? :baiting:

It's a Famous Funnies book :shrug:

Bible Tales for Young Folks is the Atlas equivalent. :thumbsup:

I love those group shots!! :applause:

ok, to distract everyone from my faux pas, here's pictures of a bunch of random atomic age and slightly pre-atomic age books:

GA%252520Oddballs%252520a.jpg

GA%252520Oddballs%252520b.jpg

GA%252520Oddballs%252520c.jpg

GA%252520Oddballs%252520d.jpg

Btw, how are the interiors to the Captain Tootsie book? Same artist as the ads?

C.C.Beck did most of the ads (and created the character). Bails says Rafael Astarita and William Schreiber worked on the book, but I can't ID either of them. Schreiber is credited with some of the later ads.

Both of the Toby books are on DCM:

Captain Tootsie #1

and

Captain Tootsie #2

Classic goofiness plus child-endangerment stories. In #2 Cap takes the kids to a "uranium plantation" on an astroid that has been taken over by rebels. All the rocket ships sent to investigate were blown up, so Cap decides to take a bunch of kids there...

At least they were honest, though. It only makes sense for one of the kids in a comic based on candy to be name "Fatso".

Thanks. I don't know Schreiber but have seen Astarita's work in Fiction House a bit but I imagine he would have adapted his style, particularly his inking, for this property book to be closer to the ad style. I thought it was Beck who did the ads but didn't remember 100%. Thank you for confirming that.

Superb in every way! How about committing another faux pas like this?

Just the right degree of oddball, ideal grade for this kind of book, great variety.

Look at Roly Poly 15, for example. Is that Blue Circle? Cover swipe (do you know which artist signed as A.B.?) with highly stylized poses, two crazy plaids on the bad guy -- amazing.

Do you have a Vol 1 #6? Supposedly exists but no cover at GCD.

The marionettes on Bomber, the insane expression on The Key's face... do the interiors live up to the covers at all?

Thanks for posting.

Jack

ok, to distract everyone from my faux pas, here's pictures of a bunch of random atomic age and slightly pre-atomic age books:

GA%252520Oddballs%252520c.jpg

GA%252520Oddballs%252520d.jpg

HAW!

Uranium plantation -- I love it!

Late Gold to Atomic Age writers were almost obsessed with uranium, not surprisingly.

Thanks for the links.

Jack

Btw, how are the interiors to the Captain Tootsie book? Same artist as the ads?

C.C.Beck did most of the ads (and created the character). Bails says Rafael Astarita and William Schreiber worked on the book, but I can't ID either of them. Schreiber is credited with some of the later ads.

Both of the Toby books are on DCM:

Captain Tootsie #1

and

Captain Tootsie #2

Classic goofiness plus child-endangerment stories. In #2 Cap takes the kids to a "uranium plantation" on an astroid that has been taken over by rebels. All the rocket ships sent to investigate were blown up, so Cap decides to take a bunch of kids there...

At least they were honest, though. It only makes sense for one of the kids in a comic based on candy to be name "Fatso".