• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

Well I'm saying that's a pretty nice book but Adamstrange has decreed that science fiction books are strictly prohibited in this thread.
I did. And then I violated that rule on that first page when I posted a Strange Adventures. :blush:

I guess that means sci-fi is ok here (shrug)

Alright then. I guess I'll have to post this scan:

Planet72.jpg

:juggle:

Edited by Hepcat

I love those Silver books but a word to the wise - don't let tth2 see them!

;)

Here are a few more scans of a book in which Silver plays a prominent part:

06-08-201173658PM.jpg

06-08-201173723PM.jpg

06-08-201173727PM.jpg

:cool:

Can you guys remind me what other book has a weird price?

I remember that Smile Comics # 1 was priced at 7¢ but wasn't there another book with a non-traditional 10 / 12 / 15¢ cover price? I seem to remember a comic with a hen on the cover ???

Any help appreciated. :)

Pulling the 5¢ info in the post itself: Fawcett's Nickel Comics, and all of Nation-wide Publishing: Do-Do Comics, Captain Atom, Lucky Stars and Mazie

I remember that Smile Comics # 1 was priced at 7¢ but wasn't there another book with a non-traditional 10 / 12 / 15¢ cover price? I seem to remember a comic with a hen on the cover ???

Pulling the 5¢ info in the post itself: Fawcett's Nickel Comics, and all of Nation-wide Publishing: Do-Do Comics, Captain Atom, Lucky Stars and Mazie

There's also the Harvey 5 centers like Speed and Spitfire.

Thanks AStrange. I should have remembered those.

Switching topic, I am constantly reminded that I love "nothing books". I bought some Four Colors from an eBay seller and picked up some cheap Gleason books at the same time since I was already in for the shipping [Yes, my screen name was picked for a reason] and was reading them this week.

This morning I finished Daredevil # 97, cover dated April 1953 -

114542.jpg

Reading this was great timing as I had recently read the new entry by Ken Quattro to his not-to-be-missed blog on Lev Gleason himself and his affiliation with the Communist Party and the resulting lengthy FBI file on Gleason:

Ken Quattro's Gleason Blog Entry

In a surprising twist, the FBI circa 1953 deemed that Gleason's personal philosophy changed enough that he could become an informant for the FBI rather than a person of interest to the Bureau. I am excerpting the relevant part to Ken's post here:

"After three years without any mention, the FBI had an interest once again in Lev Gleason. The Bureau was looking into suspected espionage activity by Walter Bernstein, a former writer for Gleason’s SALUTE magazine. On August 13, 1953, a new report--stamped ’SECRET’--was filed. And a new view of Gleason was being seen.

“Gleason was reported to have been a CP member and pro-Communist; he was a director of the Joint Anti-Fascist Refugee Committee (JAFRC), and was convicted of contempt of Congress. He resigned and recanted. As a result, he received a three months suspended sentence and $500 fine instead of a jail sentence. He was reported to have severed relations with Dr. Edward K. Barsky, National Chairman of the JAFRC. During 1944-1945, he was consulted by the CP for advice on the operation of its publications. He is self-employed at the present time, publishing a weekly newspaper at Chappaqua, New York, and comic and pulp magazines in NYC. He is reported to be anti-Communist and approachable at this time. Gleason is presently on the security index. Letter prepared for New York Office authorizing interview with Gleason.”

A report detailing Gleason’s history was once again attached. This time, though, there was an assurance that he was now, “definitely anti-Communist and could be approached.”

“The New York Office is being authorized by the attached letter to interview Leverett Gleason. If cooperative, Gleason can furnish information about Bernstein’s activity around the pertinent period. If he is completely cooperative, Gleason can furnish information about his own Communist Party and front activities. [name redacted] can adequately be protected during the interview as our interest in Bernstein can stem from his mention in “Red Channels” or other public records and our real interest does not have to be disclosed. Gleason’s cooperativeness should be readily apparent early in the interview and if he is not cooperative, the interview can be terminated.”

Hoover authorized Gleason’s interview in an attached letter."

The segment of Ken's post illuminated then this splash page "statement" signed Biro but assuming an editorially active Gleason, certainly vested by the publisher himself for the first story in the comic.

114543.jpg

Even if I had no inkling of the backstory of Gleason, his involvement and later distancing from the CP, the "statement" would still be noticeable and interesting from the light of how much message was given and impounded to the comic readers of 1953. In the context of the attack on the comics due to their violence and prurient interests, it is also surprising that the doctrinal views seen in plain were left unopposed. Not that one would want to prevent such messages to appear but I would bet that its appearance today would raise more eyebrows than it did some 60 years ago.

I like the painted covers to the Kid Cowboy series so I pick up the issues when I can. This one served a nice surprise for the back cover :) Still a like awkward in place for Buscema (tomahawk too small, bizarre left arm angle, ...) in this 1950 work but impressive overall. In fact, I find that his later work for Marvel was probably too rushed compared to this piece.

114815.jpg.bd92278e5207fc65154c7948646fd0a7.jpg

114816.jpg.ea267a5589235cfdc5602f51342541b0.jpg

all of the ACG/Modern Store books had 7 cent covers, but I'm not sure how many actually exist (I've never run across any of them)

http://www.comics.org/imprint/4946/