• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

This was the perfect comic for a lazy Saturday morning. Lassie # 30. It also completes Lassie 1 to 36 for me, the pre-Timmy & photo covers part of the run. I still need some Timmy issues but the early chunk is really my focus :banana:

127794.jpg.665b85bfc0834f9dc1c04a92f975c26c.jpg

This was the perfect comic for a lazy Saturday morning. Lassie # 30. It also completes Lassie 1 to 36 for me, the pre-Timmy & photo covers part of the run. I still need some Timmy issues but the early chunk is really my focus :banana:

beautiful cover! Lassie.... :cloud9:

Congrats on finishing the Lassie 1-36 Scrooge. #30 is one of my favorite covers of the run and I love the full date stamp.

I'll eventually get the 1-36 run. Here's one (#31) of the two I own now. I also haven't posted a Lone Ranger in this thread in a while so here's one (#74) of those too.

Lassie31.jpg

LoneRanger74.jpg

Nice copies of both. I am not surprised. Really dig the Lassie more than the Lone Ranger (though the fall colors are a nice touch on the LR). Boy, Dell got some good (great) work done for them.

Who had the coolest swag / collectible / merchandise? I saw a LOT of Roy Rogers stuff advertised in the books in the short stack of RR I recently got in the mail? So, did Roy have the best stuff? Or another cowboy? Would love to hear from folks that'd know more than I do as I have no clue when it comes to non-comic stuff like that.

I would've guessed Roy, but a quick look at an edition of Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys lists only 11 pages of Rogers merchandise, compared to 21 pages for Lone Ranger.

Following up on this, here's an ad on the back of one Timmy Lassie. Lots of cool stuff pictures but also listed at the bottom -

127796.jpg.a41243bb84fc476e7756e8f86b947cb9.jpg

Who had the coolest swag / collectible / merchandise? I saw a LOT of Roy Rogers stuff advertised in the books in the short stack of RR I recently got in the mail? So, did Roy have the best stuff? Or another cowboy? Would love to hear from folks that'd know more than I do as I have no clue when it comes to non-comic stuff like that.

I would've guessed Roy, but a quick look at an edition of Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys lists only 11 pages of Rogers merchandise, compared to 21 pages for Lone Ranger.

Following up on this, here's an ad on the back of one Timmy Lassie. Lots of cool stuff pictures but also listed at the bottom -

That's a neat ad. I definitely would have wanted to order from it when I was a kid.

Though I would have stayed away from the typically crazy Roy/Gene shirt.

Yes, crazy shirts for sure. Enough to give a head-ache to any chameleon.

Read this Joe book this p.m. It's labeled # 11 but it's really issue # 2 in the series.

Lot of silly buddy comedy in the Joe books with dames, females and gals running around all over the Korean battlefield but that's the charm of the series, truly.

GIJoev111.jpg

Read this Joe book this p.m. It's labeled # 11 but it's really issue # 2 in the series.
Z-D started most of their titles at #10.

Help me out here. I know I've seen this figure, the main figure, completely lifted and on the cover of a comic book ... as recently as within the last few weeks when someone had a copy for sale (?) but I can't recall which title. Someone here knows and that would save me from looking through the GCD for too long. I thought it might be an Avon one-shot cover ... but it doesn't look like it ... so which is it?

Btw, the illo is by Harry Clarke from his book illustration of Faust. I ran across it while catching up with my back issues of Illustration. The Clarke article is from Illustration Magazine # 35.

FaustIllobyHarryClarke.jpg

Scrooge is asking and answering his own esoterica questions now. lol

But that is one weird image to make its way to the cover of a comic book. Seriously, what's with the 'fan where his *spoon* should be'?

:applause:

Ah yes, that's somewhere else.

So Hollingsworth probably got it from this secondary source, you think, Pat? Who's the cover artist on the Fantasy Reader?

Did you know about the original?

the Fantasy Reader is edited by DAW and dated 1947. i 'suspect' John Giunta as cov artist but justa hunch... as to whether I knew about 'all hailing' from a Harry Clarke illo- I certainly enjoy the tracing out of such 'borrifying' (Albert the Alligator's word for it) but as the years stretch on can't always remember, and that's why it's good that we circle back and touch on these things every so often...

:gossip: I don't know if you've noticed but atop the pig is a lady in the original ...

That's no lady, that's.... oh, never mind.

OK, what's with the 'fan in the groin'?

Cool cover. Is it me, or is the dude with a turbin on the right have his hand drawn backwards?

The hand is right because we're looking at the back of it. I think the problem is the elbow bend. Try putting your arm in that pose - it's possible but not something you'd do naturally. (Well, not if you have my right elbow anyway.)