• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

This 1953 TWO-FISTED TALES had a great story "Trial By Arms" by Wood.

8534922586_3796b0cf72.jpg

mm

Indeed it does. It also has a magnificent Jack Davis cover, which captures the terror of air warfare rather than making it a 'knights of the sky' romanticised image.

Really striking covers by the underrated Lee Elias.

I agree. Lee Elias doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

:(

My suspicion is that these war covers were probably designed by Warren Kremer and then drawn by Elias. That's the case with the Harvey horror covers at this time and I see these as being typical of Kremer's approach to design. Kremer is even less known than Elias despite being Harvey's primary cover artist and character designer for a couple decades.

Finished my Tarzan "African Tribesman" back cover run.

All low or mid graders but I enjoy the series (I've read #1-33). Thanks to Scrooge for the nudge.

Top row #8-11 (left to right), middle row #12-16, bottom row #17-20

TarzanAfricanTribesman_zpsf00ea25a.jpg

:applause:

Much more impressive as a group shot than they are as large individual scans.

And, yes, those early issues in the run are enjoyable!

I'll say second row second from right is my favorite along with bottom row far right.

Love that Tarzan back cover group shot - those look great! :applause: (So many comics, so little time money.)

I know there's an EC thread now, but I prefer this one. More Kurtzman goodness on this cover.

TFT_25_zps4e7e9c7d.jpg

:applause:

And, yes, those early issues in the run are enjoyable!

I'll say second row second from right is my favorite along with bottom row far right.

Good choices. I also like the third one in the top row because the mustache makes him stand out from the others.

In case anyone cares, I found a website that reprints all of the Brothers of the Spear stories:

http://www.erbzine.com/mag23/2350.html

I've read up through the first few Russ Manning stories and recommend them so far.

Now if I could just find a similar website for the Young Hawk stories from Lone Ranger I'd be a happier man.

Amazing to see all of those together! (worship)

Classic Williamson! :applause:

I like this AA title. Swords and sandals. :cloud9:

Valor_2_zpsd6b43239.jpg

Love that Tarzan back cover group shot - those look great! :applause: (So many comics, so little time money.)

I know what you mean about the time and money. A lot of the EC's you've been posting are on my "to read" list. Luckily I can get reprints of all of those though.

I'm kind of itching to give those Valors a try.

I know what you mean about the time and money. A lot of the EC's you've been posting are on my "to read" list. Luckily I can get reprints of all of those though.

I only own one Valor and liked it. hm that was a worthless post.

Thanks for the link to the Brothers of the Spear. I read them the hard way ... from one issue to the next.

Thanks for the link to the Brothers of the Spear. I read them the hard way ... from one issue to the next.

I like all of the Valors but I'm a sucker for these historically set stories.

I wouldn't call it a worthless post. That one book is 20% of the title. lol

Also, getting recommendations from AJD and Adamstrange make it a no brainer.

Amazing to see all of those together! (worship)

I'm sloooowwwly working on the Indian Warrior back covers from The Lone Ranger

but I'd love to see someone that has them already post a group shot.

What's the issue range for those back covers?

#8-35. I like that these have specific people like Chief Joseph and Geronimo along with the Warrior 1, Warrior 2, etc...

Here's what I have: (sorry my pictures are always taken in the basement where light sources are horrible :sorry: )

LoneRangerIndiansBackCoverGroupShot_zps30fd34a3.jpg

LoneRangerIndiansGS1_zpsab4f9a2a.jpg

LoneRangerIndiansGS2_zpsa4a16a35.jpg

:applause: That looks great Scrooge and only 8 to go.

These, along with the African back covers were a real first rate project by Dell.

I know GCD says Mo Gollub may have done some of these but I wonder if any boardies know for sure?

Terrific back covers!!! :headbang:

light sources are horrible
It shows :baiting: