• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

These are amazingly cool. Thanks for posting them. :golfclap:

How I wish there was a comic publisher today with the imagination, taste, and quality of DELL!

Agreed - and it would be good if any comic company today had the market of Dell!

LoneRangerIndiansBackCoverGroupShot_zps30fd34a3.jpg

These are amazingly cool. Thanks for posting them. :golfclap:

How I wish there was a comic publisher today with the imagination, taste, and quality of DELL!

Great group photo Scrooge and another reason for collecting western comics.

(worship)

What's the issue range for those back covers?

#8-35. I like that these have specific people like Chief Joseph and Geronimo along with the Warrior 1, Warrior 2, etc...

Here's what I have: (sorry my pictures are always taken in the basement where light sources are horrible :sorry: )

LoneRangerIndiansBackCoverGroupShot_zps30fd34a3.jpg

LoneRangerIndiansGS1_zpsab4f9a2a.jpg

LoneRangerIndiansGS2_zpsa4a16a35.jpg

Those are great.

I'm pretty sure most of those are photo based, giving them an accuracy you don't usually find in western comics ( though from what little I've read, Native Americans were not immune to fashion, and sometimes later adopted garb that they didn't wear during their glory days).

The Tick-Tock I had seen and admired. I had not noticed the Punch & judy before but that looks like a lot of fun.

Do the stories live up to the quality of the covers?

Undeterred, here are another couple of recent arrivals that are sure to spark silence ahahahah

I've got that Our Gang. With Walt Kelly and Carl Barks on board, the 8 - 36 run is pretty good.

Only I may provoke silence. :baiting:

Undeterred, here are another couple of recent arrivals that are sure to spark silence ahahahah

PunchandJudy2-10_zpsec4f05ed.jpg

I am a fan of Our Gang especially with Barks and Kelly art but I never took a shine to Tic Tock. That Punch and Judy cover is pretty nice. I like the design on the outside.

Well, I'll say that I don't blame you on the Tick Tock. Yesterday, I read the one I posted and ... hmm ... yeah, the strip were OK, not great. The audience targeted is really young and it suffered from that but from a child's perspective the strip could have been quite fun: talking stuffed bears, an insect secretly transforming into a super-hero, a kid working at a circus, etc ... Well enough thought-of ideas but the stories were very lacking.

Tonight I hope to read that Punch & Judy then report.

As for the Our Gang, I only regret no one ever mentioning the T&J strip therein. Isn't the portrayal of T&J in the early issues not yet set in stone formula and therefore interesting?

Well, I'll say that I don't blame you on the Tick Tock. Yesterday, I read the one I posted and ... hmm ... yeah, the strip were OK, not great. The audience targeted is really young and it suffered from that but from a child's perspective the strip could have been quite fun: talking stuffed bears, an insect secretly transforming into a super-hero, a kid working at a circus, etc ... Well enough thought-of ideas but the stories were very lacking.

Tonight I hope to read that Punch & Judy then report.

As for the Our Gang, I only regret no one ever mentioning the T&J strip therein. Isn't the portrayal of T&J in the early issues not yet set in stone formula and therefore interesting?

I don't know if the plot of Tom and Jerry changed much from the cartoons. I'll have to read another story. However, I do remember that the art was really good in the early issues. Perspectives, details in the background and full-body action shots added a lot of variety to the panels of the T and J stories. It was quality work like Barks but not by him.

I had not noticed the Punch & judy before but that looks like a lot of fun.

Do the stories live up to the quality of the covers?

I read the Punch & Judy last night and the short answer is ... no, not really. I bought it mainly because of the Punch and Judy story, the Lockjaw story and the Starry Eyes story. The others lived up to my no expectations and I am afraid so did the Punch & Judy story ... blah! The Lockjaw was nice enough (though I don't believe this one was done by Kirby) but ended up so abruptly I feared the book was not complete (some nice breaking of the fourth wall though). The art of Starry Eyes was excellent as projected but the story so-so. I guess I should know not to expect too much.

This morning, I read this issue of Lance O'Casey. Fun enough for the price. More interesting is that the cover and the lead Lance story were drawn by an heretofore unknown (to me) artist :o A surprise as I thought I would have canvassed most artists and certainly wouldn't have missed out on someone as talented as Clem Weisbecker as you can judge from the cover. Reading quickly I thought the last story might be by him also but GCD guesses Dan Barry. I'd have to look again to see.

LanceOCasey3_zpsad08d53a.jpg

I read the Punch & Judy last night and the short answer is ... no, not really. I bought it mainly because of the Punch and Judy story, the Lockjaw story and the Starry Eyes story. The others lived up to my no expectations and I am afraid so did the Punch & Judy story ... blah! The Lockjaw was nice enough (though I don't believe this one was done by Kirby) but ended up so abruptly I feared the book was not complete (some nice breaking of the fourth wall though). The art of Starry Eyes was excellent as projected but the story so-so. I guess I should know not to expect too much.

Thanks for the review. (thumbs u

The Lockjaw was nice enough (though I don't believe this one was done by Kirby)

The Kirby Lockjaw stories in Punch and Judy are real fun.

He also did "Earl The Rich Rabbit" in several issues.

136251.jpg.fca40705bd474213dd42ab2b1f438c9f.jpg

136252.jpg.f9c2d34d9151a4683115180be91eefa8.jpg

136253.jpg.4b37af96cf63c5a3af45ec7839209ad2.jpg

136254.jpg.f28d5f16f4c8c416ba74ad7f9591fb12.jpg

He [Kirby] also did "Earl The Rich Rabbit" in several issues.

Didn't know or didn't remember that. Thanks for the scans.

Easter Sunday read: Douglas MacArthur by Fox, published in 1951 upon his removal from command in Korea. His removal was political and unpopular. Mac was dangerously insubordinate though still popular with the general public. Maybe that's what prompted the publication of this book. It's a nicely rounded overview of his 52 year career in the military, though with 60 years of hindsight (and a target audience not of 8 to 12-year old), the narrative might be different.

MacArthurFox_zps4a234045.jpg

Amazingly, in a panel on the final page, a caption reads:

"Gen. MacArthur then proceeded to Washington where he delivered a speech that will long be remembered."

And oh so correct the writer and editor were. It's his famous:

"Old soldiers never die; they just fade away, and like the old soldier of that ballad I now close my military career, and just fade away, an old soldier who tried to do his duty as God gave him the light to see that duty ... Goodbye."

which we remember 60 years later.