• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

So how does your collection look to you after your visit to Casa Berk? poke2.gif

I'd trade my collection for his.

That's very big of you. tongue.gif

But I'd still miss my 50s stuff.

If he just gave me his, then I'd have everything. cloud9.gif

Reminds me of a song that contained the line "All I want is everything, and everything is all I want".

That's a very nice T-Man. That's a series that had a great streak of covers with T-Man going all over the world. As usual for this Quality series it has in my opinion better covers than the ACG Soldiers of Fortune series who had the same potential for exotic locales.

Here's another Airboy. From the Gerber I thought I'd like the cover more than I realized once I had the book in hand (even ignoring extensive writing on the cover). What are your opinion on this one? Oh well, there are many other good covers in this series.

789533-AirboyMarch48s.jpg

GP: you mentioned Rex's scarcity earlier; I was about to tell you I never see #1 but one was put on eBay tonight so you never know. I see # 2 about once or twice a year on eBay but I don't really recall seeing # 3. I have never seen the Congo Bills.

789533-AirboyMarch48s.jpg.3eb9f61d9d542bcb9726dc59d115160e.jpg

So how does your collection look to you after your visit to Casa Berk? poke2.gif

I'd trade my collection for his.

But I'd still miss my 50s stuff.

If he just gave me his, then I'd have everything. cloud9.gif

Not true. You'd still be short of a PWC 102 and to me that would be a sad hole in your collection. Soooo let me offer you this trade to fill that eye-sore. I'll take off your hand that trashy FC 386 and send you a nice copy of PWC 102 in exchange. insane.gif I have been answering too many emails tonight.

tth2 hi.gif

When Jon gives his collection to me, the FC386 is yours. I won't even ask for a PWC 102. How's that for generosity!

That's a very nice T-Man. That's a series that had a great streak of covers with T-Man going all over the world. As usual for this Quality series it has in my opinion better covers than the ACG Soldiers of Fortune series who had the same potential for exotic locales.

Here's another Airboy. From the Gerber I thought I'd like the cover more than I realized once I had the book in hand (even ignoring extensive writing on the cover). What are your opinion on this one? Oh well, there are many other good covers in this series.

789533-AirboyMarch48s.jpg

GP: you mentioned Rex's scarcity earlier; I was about to tell you I never see #1 but one was put on eBay tonight so you never know. I see # 2 about once or twice a year on eBay but I don't really recall seeing # 3. I have never seen the Congo Bills.

The T-Man does have a nice post WWII Hitler spy/intrigue story to go with the cover. Unfortunately the art is not up to their usual high standards.

I like the Airboy cover, but I hadn't paid too much attention to it until I had seen a mid-grade copy in person. That may have made my expectations for it be slightly lower than yours, because I do think it's a very nifty concept and shows how much influence horror had on other genres.

I have definitely seen low grade Congo Bills, but not enough to disagree with the assessment that they are tough.

Edited by adamstrange

Color guide

790548-PrizeWest102cg.jpg

790548-PrizeWest102cg.jpg.9859654fff7c50aa0b670a1fb02dd749.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

proof

790549-PrizeWest102proof.jpg

790549-PrizeWest102proof.jpg.b8e587a6c6c36d5d218eeb502cba33db.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

????

790554-PrizeWest102bw.jpg

790554-PrizeWest102bw.jpg.110d967683de30442d709e719cb77bb0.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Adam,

thank you for coming through with these. Could you describe the material / medium these are in / on and what's going on with this last one. What is it on? I assume we have more knowledgeable forum members who can tell us where in the production process this last piece fits? Those proofs are simply a marvel to look at. I really like this cover and need to get a copy soon.

Adam,

thank you for coming through with these. Could you describe the material / medium these are in / on and what's going on with this last one. What is it on? I assume we have more knowledgeable forum members who can tell us where in the production process this last piece fits? Those proofs are simply a marvel to look at. I really like this cover and need to get a copy soon.

It's on the same paper as the proof and I have no idea why they produce a negative image. Hopefully someone can help. I do have another proof with the CYA prints in black and white.

Thanks for posting, those are absolutely perfect books for the thread.

I'm looking for copies of those myself because both the covers and interiors.

Edited by adamstrange

794389-Piracy6.jpg

794389-Piracy6.jpg.659c1375a1f0b8a3c67bae98d800a507.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Nice book, Adam. Is it a Gaines file copy? I think the covers to a lot of EC's non-horror/crime books are vastly underrated. Are the art and stories inside any good in these titles?

Nice book, Adam. Is it a Gaines file copy? I think the covers to a lot of EC's non-horror/crime books are vastly underrated. Are the art and stories inside any good in these titles?

Yes. It took me a while to find one and, being a Krigstein fan, I was quite pleased.

I had a couple opportunities to buy sets but thought the asking price was too much. I do agree with you on the quality of the covers/art in these end of the road EC books, but what makes them especially appealing is Marie Severin's coloring -- her work on these is spot on.

I like the stories, but wouldn't call that a ringing endorsement as I have a soft spot for pirates and Reed Crandall. Overall, I'm much more of a fan of EC's war and science fiction titles.