• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

You might want to wash your hands before reading your books in the future. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif I was going to say something along the same lines! Gorgeous book, Adam. Early Superboys are so very tough to find in high grade.

I thought we said no Super I guess I'd have to put up another Western book

Supers are allowed and encouraged as even they are usually overshadowed by the more extreme books (horror, good girl, etc) of the Atomic Age.

Nice Prize Western. thumbsup2.gif

John Severin told me that he ended up editing the series after a while.

Edited by adamstrange

More for "Silver"

774694-Adventure194.jpg

774694-Adventure194.jpg.c24a628d63cb82232658e82ad5b678b5.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

turok3.jpg

Very nice copy. thumbsup2.gif

Were you a fan before the Valiant series?

Still meeting my commitment to Silver (the person, not the Age):

773728-Superboy36.jpg

You might want to wash your hands before reading your books in the future. tongue.gif

At least I'm not as bad as this guy!

I have changed the grade on more than a few hundred books over the last 35 years through stupidity or sloppiness. I take care now an the books have there own room but when I was younger I stepped on more than a few getting up to take a pee and felt the covers let loose, kicked over more than a few stacks and had the "really " good early marvels in bags hanging on my bedroom wall in full sunlight. Then I got smarterer and put them in a super heated attic for 5 yrs before selling them in the 80s. I have certainly devalued more books than I have bought over graded books...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/rem...021&Main=772936

Yes, it was one of the first comics I ever bought as a kid. Until Valiant resurrected interest in the original Dell/GKs, though, it was impossible to find high grade copies. The usual conundrum of which is better: low value=low supply or high value=high(er) supply. Hell, they're still tough to find in HG (except for #3, which must have been some kind of warehouse find)

At least I'm not as bad as this guy!

I have changed the grade on more than a few hundred books over the last 35 years through stupidity or sloppiness. I take care now an the books have there own room but when I was younger I stepped on more than a few getting up to take a pee and felt the covers let loose, kicked over more than a few stacks and had the "really " good early marvels in bags hanging on my bedroom wall in full sunlight. Then I got smarterer and put them in a super heated attic for 5 yrs before selling them in the 80s. I have certainly devalued more books than I have bought over graded books...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/rem...021&Main=772936

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww sumo.gif

Any interest in humor books here (aka, Mad), or are these covers a poor fit for the topic or simply too commonly seen to be worth posting?

Well, someone's posted Mad 1 so you're more than welcome to post that type of book here. I know I'm interested in people posting covers, interior art, and talking about comics!

There's another thread that Fuelman added call Funnybooks so, alternatively, you can take a look to see if you'd rather post there.

The important thing is to post! thumbsup2.gif

Yes, it was one of the first comics I ever bought as a kid. Until Valiant resurrected interest in the original Dell/GKs, though, it was impossible to find high grade copies. The usual conundrum of which is better: low value=low supply or high value=high(er) supply. Hell, they're still tough to find in HG (except for #3, which must have been some kind of warehouse find)

I never read a Valiant, and I don't think I've read any of the original Turoks. Too many comics, too little time.

775625-Rex3.jpg

775625-Rex3.jpg.2bf19bdaaf70ee58dcf04edd498e3d3e.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

775627-StarSpangled128.jpg

775627-StarSpangled128.jpg.c317c37b4ac630876447b70524a8a4f5.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Awesome Rex up there Adam. Do you happen to have a # 2 laying around for us to see?

sorry.gif

grin.gif But I have some other ones!

775662-YoungEagle8s.jpg

Really, really nice colors on the copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I never read a Valiant, and I don't think I've read any of the original Turoks. Too many comics, too little time.

You should give the initial run of Valiants, when Jim Shooter was running things and writing stories, a shot. They were superbly written and drawn. Coming as they did at the time that many Marvels (and then Image) were transforming into all flashy art and no substance, I always felt the Valiants were a breath of fresh air that made reading comics (as opposed to just looking at the pretty pictures) enjoyable again.

Having said that, the original Turoks had pretty non-descript to poor interior art, and the stories were a bit simplistic. I primarily collect them out of nostalgia and the fact that I LOVE their painted covers, particularly from the mid-60s.

Adam, fantastic Star Spangled Comics! Not a title you see often outside of the GA issues.

I don't think I've ever seen a Star Spangled from this period, but on the basis of that book I'll have to hunt some out, as it looks like just the sort of thing I collect. Thanks for sharing.

The lions share of my collection would fit in this thread, but most of my books are comparative beaters (I'd love to swap my Phantom Stranger's for Adams'!). Here's one book I have that is a nicer looking copy, although it's a fairly boring cover I'm afraid.

tomahawk8.jpg

And here's something you don't see every day of the week, although you probably don't want to!

ds2.jpg

GP,

thanks for sharing. There are no stipulation about condition in this thread. I put my beaters up as well. It'd be great if we could see more of your books. Adam can keep on posting his HG copies. That's OK, we'll let him do that. He's just dangerous because he'll force you and DD to spend more money chasing books he shows us. Are you paid by dealers to post here Adam? poke2.gif

Funny you should put up the Tomahawk because I hesitated the other night between a Tomahawk 10 and the Young Eagle. More Tomahawks please if you've got them!