• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

I LOVE Tomahawk. I don't have any of the Star Spangled issues, but quit a few of the solo series. Before they got silly I think they were some very solid comics.

Aaaand, on a completely different path

action-front.jpg

Bob, I'll post the Tomahawk tonight then.

Now back to work and to wonder how I missed this Action cover in the Gerbers! No matter how many times I go over those, some covers are simply not done justice in them and that's why we need people to post their books here. This, too me, is a perfect example.

P.S.: How did the Little Lulus you mentioned a while ago you won on eBay turn out to be? I remember some brilliantly white covers in the batch.

Bob, I'll post the Tomahawk tonight then.

Now back to work and to wonder how I missed this Action cover in the Gerbers! No matter how many times I go over those, some covers are simply not done justice in them and that's why we need people to post their books here. This, too me, is a perfect example.

P.S.: How did the Little Lulus you mentioned a while ago you won on eBay turn out to be? I remember some brilliantly white covers in the batch.

The Superman story in that Action is quite fun. 50s gender stereotypes aplenty !! insane.gif

I'll see if I can drag some of my Tomahawks to the scanner. Love the revolutionary war stuff.

The Lulu's turned out great. I'll get them to a scanner as well. Solid FN on most of them, and at $10 a pop quite a steal. The seller learned his lesson and put is BINs way up, plus he is out of Lulus so. sorry.gif

Picked a batch of 16 recently, and another half dozen from a different ebay seller, so my Lulu list is working its way down. Nice to be able to cross off those issue numbers. I have noticed the ebay Lulu prices are getting up there, even for low grade stuff. Wonder if the new OS with the Lulu cover caused that. 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The lions share of my collection would fit in this thread, but most of my books are comparative beaters (I'd love to swap my Phantom Stranger's for Adams'!). Here's one book I have that is a nicer looking copy, although it's a fairly boring cover I'm afraid.

You're back to gpcove again? 27_laughing.gif

No worries about condition, Gary, seeing cool covers from this under-exposed era is what this thread is all about. Post 'em if you got 'em!

Adam, fantastic Star Spangled Comics! Not a title you see often outside of the GA issues.

I don't think I've ever seen a Star Spangled from this period, but on the basis of that book I'll have to hunt some out, as it looks like just the sort of thing I collect. Thanks for sharing.

I like these end of the run Star Spangleds. You still get a Robin story, which in this issue centers around a Two-Face knock-off called Mr. 50-50. The art by Sprang, however, is lively and the story has light and clever tone. It was perfect for me when I read it as a kid, and I stil enjoy it today. The main cover character is the Ghostbreaker, who solves supposedly supernatural mysteries like this one, involving a modern day Cleopatra. The art is by Leornard Starr who loving captures Cleopatra as an entrancing beauty, while doing just an adequate job on the other characters. If you ask me, he at least had the right priorities.

The lions share of my collection would fit in this thread, but most of my books are comparative beaters (I'd love to swap my Phantom Stranger's for Adams'!). Here's one book I have that is a nicer looking copy, although it's a fairly boring cover I'm afraid.

You are hereby, forwith formally invited to post whatever, whenever, and however you want. I look forward to seeing your books as I have just a tiny fraction of the total output of this time period.

And here's something you don't see every day of the week, although you probably don't want to!ds

ds2.jpg

What can you tell us about the stories,? publisher? artist? That's a very unusual book. thumbsup2.gif

You're back to gpcove again? 27_laughing.gif

No worries about condition, Gary, seeing cool covers from this under-exposed era is what this thread is all about. Post 'em if you got 'em!

Yeah, it's kind of like coming home! 27_laughing.gif

I've pulled some books to scan and I'll post some over the next week or two. Here's a nice copy of Adventure from the early 50's, with a wonderfully quirky Superboy cover. I have very few Adventure's from 101-200 in my collection, but they do crop up fairly regularly on ebay and I'm tempted to make a serious play in that direction soon.

adventure180.jpg

I also love the anthology books that DC started in the 50's and here's a nicer early copy from one of my favourite series, My Greatest Adventure.

mga8.jpg

And here's something you don't see every day of the week, although you probably don't want to!

ds2.jpg

What can you tell us about the stories,? publisher? artist? That's a very unusual book. thumbsup2.gif

Not a lot, unfortunately. Overstreets designation is "Steinway Comic Publ. (Ajax) (America's Best)" and the indica says Steinway. It's a mystery anthology but the art and stories are fairly crude. I've been quite scathing about Stan Lee on other threads, but when you read the smilin' ones short stories and compare them with what a lot of other publishers put out, they really are a lot more polished and readable. This particular book is fairly cruddy.

I don't recognise any of the art and I've scanned a representative page below to see if anyone else does.

dsi1.jpg

Aside from the mystery stories, there is also one humour story which is obviously modelled after the Bill Everett approach that would have existed in some of the Atlas books of the time. Again, here's a page.

dsi2.jpg

Maybe someone else can shed further light.

Sorry to be spamming the thread with Lulu's, but I just got this one, and it is one of my favorite covers so I had to show it off.

lulu12.jpg

Thanks to archiefan 2484.jpg for giving me the heads up on this one thumbsup2.gif

The Mask of Dr. Fu Manchu, 1950. Wally Wood cover/art. Canadian edition.

mfm1.jpg

Will you send this book to me if I pay postage? Pretty please hail.gif

893naughty-thumb.gifsumo.gifmakepoint.gifpoke2.gifflowerred.gifhi.gif

In other words,.........uh, no. Sorry! stooges.gif