• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,454 posts in this topic

Finally from Keen Detective # 24, you've got to thank those editors who didn't want kids to try this at home and spared us by not revealing the Greenite's formula (where's the tongue-in-cheek graemlin?) -

1608217-KeenDetective24Greenite.jpg

First appearance of Jack Selegue!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

HAW! Bite your tongue. I would have been wearing safety goggles!

But I am glad to see a TRUE gas that's not a vaporized liquid.

Jack

(huh?)

haha! I love the element references! I have to admit since coming across Jack's site a ways back I always notice elements in a story now, and never did before. I love seeing this stuff! (I also love 50's science books with their classic photos & diagrams as well as questionable science!)

There's more than one complaint that I've heard about Doug Wildey relying heavily on photos so I tend to believe it. But I think this cover is an excellent example of an illustrator (Wildey) using a photo and making it into something quite a bit better.

Sorry to be the grinch, but I don't like it. It's clearly a lightboxed photo, so what's the point? If we wanted to see photos, we could read old copies of Life or Time.

There's more than one complaint that I've heard about Doug Wildey relying heavily on photos so I tend to believe it. But I think this cover is an excellent example of an illustrator (Wildey) using a photo and making it into something quite a bit better.

Sorry to be the grinch, but I don't like it. It's clearly a lightboxed photo, so what's the point? If we wanted to see photos, we could read old copies of Life or Time.

It's de rigeur for illustrators to work from photos (even Norman Rockwell and Maxfield Parrish) so I'm not so hard on Wildey for that reason. The key question is did he add or create something beyond the photo and I think that in this case he did -- though my judgment is clouded by having seen an actual white-paged copy of this comic, that allowed me to more easily appreciate the inking.

Since I got no response in the other thread, I will try it here. Does anyone know of any pedigrees from the Frazetta Famous Funnies run? Thanks.

Ken

Saw it the other thread but there are so many posts these days...

Love that copy! cloud9.gif

In the other post you mentioned only knowing about Cosmic Aeroplane. Is that a CA?

There are some River Cities.

FamousFunnies216.jpg

is it just me or does YC look like Cuba Gooding Jr. in this cover?

Just you! poke2.gif

Seriously, though, I don't see much resemblance unless he's gotten a lot of wrinkles since I last saw him in a good movie. years ago.

Adam,

Stunning copy of #216! No, my #214 is not a CA copy. Just a nice book I bought about 10 years ago. Do you have any other Frazetta Famous Funnies?

Ken

Moi? devil.gif

Your 214 is impressively nice!