• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,395 posts in this topic

I bought this book several years ago from Joe Vereneault. Spokane copy with bone white pages. yay.gif

Ken

stadv9.jpg

WOW Ken! Is it as perfect as it looks? The Spokanes are awesome, and to have the Spokane of that book is doubly awesome!

Richard,

It is nearly perfect. I would say an easy 9.6 and maybe 9.8.

Ken

I bought this book several years ago from Joe Vereneault. Spokane copy with bone white pages. yay.gif

Ken

stadv9.jpg

WOW Ken! Is it as perfect as it looks? The Spokanes are awesome, and to have the Spokane of that book is doubly awesome!

Richard,

Ken

Again I say WOW!

Of the books in your collection, which is your favorite (if not this)?

Ken

stadv9.jpg

Richard,

Ken

Again I say WOW!

Keep this book and sell me the rest! tongue.gif

Awesome copy!!! hail.gif

Ken

stadv9.jpg

Richard,

Ken

Again I say WOW!

I like my MH Captain Marvel Jr. 4, 7 and 17. I also really like the National Comics 10 I picked up in the last Heritage auction. For silver age, my Tales of the Unexpected 17 (awsome greytone cover) and 43, Strange adventures 9, 80 and 150. Too many choices.

Ken

Bedrock reminded me that I tend to collect out of the way books. I think this one would qualify and since I haven't posted new books in a while:

Astonishing39.jpg

A great title to pick up cheap - every time you post one it makes me want to start.

Thanks Rjpb, what's not to like: an Airboy and a Heap story along with extras like the Cataline Revolt history by Alden McWilliams cool.gif -

1810480-AirboyAugust1949AlMcWilliamsCatalineRevolt.jpg

Whoa, very cool! 893applaud-thumb.gif It was during the Catalinarian conspiracy that Cicero "made his bones" so to speak, with his vitriolic speeches against Cataline. Sorry, I'm real geek for this stuff. shy.gif

Bedrock reminded me that I tend to collect out of the way books. I think this one would qualify and since I haven't posted new books in a while:

Astonishing39.jpg

What a unique and cool cover! I have never seen it before and love the line work.

Ken

Thanks! I'm pretty sure the artist is Burgos.

More shadowy atomic age goodness:

RawhideKid15.jpg

Astonishing39.jpg

Love the linework and pastel coloring in these post-code Atlas books.

It's like they boosted quality somewhat to make up for having the code.

They are quite tempting to start collecting... frustrated.gif

Astonishing39.jpg

What a unique and cool cover! I have never seen it before and love the line work.

Ken

What Ken said!

893applaud-thumb.gif

More shadowy atomic age goodness:

RawhideKid15.jpg

That book as usual is unreal! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Cue the crickets for a moment, I was reading through Wild Western # 8 today and there's some real gold in those early Timely westerns. Here are a few chosen panels to showcase what a Western comic book can be -

1882990-WildWestern8Panel1.jpg

Pardon my stretch -

1882990-WildWestern8Panel2.jpg

1882990-WildWestern8Panel3.jpg

1882990-WildWestern8Panel3.jpg.f79796b4a2578fb07e8fc649199b1133.jpg

Thanks, Scrooge.

Do you know who the artists are for the first two panels? The third looks like Syd Shores.

Do you know who the artists are for the first two panels? The third looks like Syd Shores.

The artists are tentatively one artist: Russ Heath. The third seems to be Syd Shores as you state. I can't help but loving Shores' work and have like him consistently through his career unlike some artists whose early or late work I can't appreciate / enjoy. Shores is a winner from start to finish.

As for the Heath ID, here's the splash to the first story and should be clearer.

1883005-WildWestern8Story1ss.jpg

For the story from the second panel, here's an earlier panel with RH branded on the horses. In that "stretch" panel, it's amazing the detail put in the background of the guys in pursuit hidden on the forest background. Just wonderful in its effort which over the years tend to disappear.

1883005-WildWestern8Panel4RH.jpg

1883005-WildWestern8Panel4RH.jpg.ab6a26577b9cb3ee515e5601efbbe3dc.jpg

Thanks for the extra scans. I thought I saw Heath in the horses (they are well drawn and he always prided himself that he could draw a horse well) but the background was much more impressionistic/Caniff style than what he usually does. It's a marked contrast from the backgrounds on the first page. There's much to like about this early Heath work as it has a looser feel than his more mature style.

frazetta white indian reprints inside

whiteindian012.jpg

All good stuff, jpepx! thumbsup2.gif

thanks adamstrange

here's a book i got recently for 50 cents in a used book store. i guess 3-d effects was a big fad briefly in the early 50s from movies to comics. i've seen other books from this period with simulated 3-d where backgrounds were drawn in perspective and figures and objects were drawn extending out from each panel. the frank bolle art is very nice. any other 3-d collectors out there?

j

timholt040.jpg