• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,454 posts in this topic

It has been a while for this thread, but I thought this book fit...

larsofmars11.jpg

(Well maybe not, cause Lars is more Sci-Fi than Superhero.

But who cares...It is neat-o!)

:o look at those stunning colors!!!!

1592292-Troll.gif

That's always been one of my favorite sci-fi covers!!! :cloud9:

Mine too! If you remember, I got a pretty copy from you a few moons ago. (thumbs u

The famous "airport exchange"! I felt like some sort of spy conducting a covert op.

From sci-fi to a now very dead comic genre, the western. Did I ever mention that I really like the Dell painted covers?

:applause: Next you'll be buying issues of Indian Chief ! :o

I may have put in some unsuccessful bids on the 9.4 and better copies, actually. hm

They don't HAVE to be painted covers, though. (apologies if 1949 doesn't count as Atomic Age).

LoneRanger10.jpg

From sci-fi to a now very dead comic genre, the western. Did I ever mention that I really like the Dell painted covers?

:applause: Next you'll be buying issues of Indian Chief ! :o

I may have put in some unsuccessful bids on the 9.4 and better copies, actually. hm

They don't HAVE to be painted covers, though. (apologies if 1949 doesn't count as Atomic Age).

LoneRanger10.jpg

It's definitely Atomic Age! And, as a Western, definitely in the shadows! :insane:

Love that Tom Corbett! :applause:

:bump:

Mini-contest - First, here's another one of my favorites: Violence to animals scenes (even though this time it's animal on animal). Second, the contest:

Guess who the artist is? Not much to go on I know but let's see if our luminaries figure that one out ...

The Prize is a No-Prize.

63795.jpg.1cd64e4f47f748b7937a557b3436b40b.jpg

:bump:

Mini-contest - First, here's another one of my favorites: Violence to animals scenes (even though this time it's animal on animal). Second, the contest:

Guess who the artist is? Not much to go on I know but let's see if our luminaries figure that one out ...

The Prize is a No-Prize.

Wasn't the answer posted on another thread? I don't want to cheat if it's one and the same.

As long as we're in the Atomic Age, does this Apr-58 book I posted on the Cigar thread last night qualify?

MDA620001.jpg

How about this cool T-Man 13 from Nov-53 (Crandall!)?

tman130001.jpg

Maybe this pair of Real Clue Crime Stories, V7#4 Jun-52 and V7#5 Jul-52? Just after "your month"!

realcluevol7no40001.jpg

realcluevol7no50001.jpg

Jack

Wasn't the answer posted on another thread? I don't want to cheat if it's one and the same.

It's not Syd Shores who was mentioned in the other thread ...

Is the cover Crandall? If so, not his best. I'd be okay if it was Cuidera but for Crandall :P

I am looking for a copy of # 15 at the moment ...

That makes my answer simple -- "I don't know."

Is the cover Crandall? If so, not his best. I'd be okay if it was Cuidera but for Crandall :P

I am looking for a copy of # 15 at the moment ...

Better make that "T-Man 13 from Nov-53 (Crandall?)"

Looking more carefully, I agree that the cover doesn't look like Crandall. Most of the interior art doesn't look good enough either, so this might be a non-Crandall issue. If he's here, I'd guess on "The Code of Death". Even that would be rough Crandall, although some of the characters look good.

I can't help you on #15.

Jack

Sekowsky?

No. It's tough from these panels though ... The give-away is that it's one of Tim's (tth2) favorite artists lol

Heck, if I know.

Sekowsky?

No. It's tough from these panels though ... The give-away is that it's one of Tim's (tth2) favorite artists lol

What the heck?

I wouldn't have been able to guess without your clue, though. Without being able to see any drawings of people (other than the distant view from above), I had no clue.

Sekowsky?

What the heck?

I wouldn't have been able to guess without your clue, though. Without being able to see any drawings of people (other than the distant view from above), I had no clue.

I admit it was impossible hence the heavy hint. Here's the splash and a blown-up panel -

63842.jpg.8df08eb94203eaaa8ddbe30937be3608.jpg

63843.jpg.ded6cb6dd41b564bc70f980dd1a14b56.jpg

I admit it was impossible

Not really. The lion's face reminded of someone's inking just couldn't remember who. Sekowsky, Andru/Espo were possibilities then I remembered the scratchy inks of Heck -- who's art is often quite good during this time period.

Sekowsky?

What the heck?

I admit it was impossible hence the heavy hint. Here's the splash and a blown-up panel -

Ugh. If this was supposed to make me think more highly of the 1950s Don Heck, it didn't work. Heck channeling Caniff... not a good combination.

Ugh. If this was supposed to make me think more highly of the 1950s Don Heck, it didn't work. Heck channeling Caniff... not a good combination.

Nope I didn't have that intention there. In fact, if anything, the blown-up panel made me have visions of Robbins on Invaders, except that Robbins' faces were more distorted. I think the main reason I blew it up is because the inking there is not as scratchy and feathery as Heck's will be later when he is on Avengers and that make for a slicker better product.

The splash is (fodder for your PoV) another proof that Heck doesn't render motion very well, even though the elephant's panel is better. Now, in the context of other artists of the period, he still stand above the average and I can see why Lee would have wanted him back when work became plenty again.

To follow-up on Syd Shores and his Animal Stories, here's the one from Jann # 8 -

63858.jpg.955474a37733f70b26a6d5ae8f7a64b4.jpg

63859.jpg.0e10b9b556db278a6794f30dc2d45e99.jpg

63860.jpg.833732153028c69a4df42430e7dda546.jpg

63861.jpg.0bac89f85c2425ea0efc19f077ad40cf.jpg

63862.jpg.bd50a10550d11eb2ce36b4bd0cbe2686.jpg

To follow-up on Syd Shores and his Animal Stories, here's the one from Jann # 8 -

That's great! My son would have loved this story when he was young. I used to read him this sort of animal story all the time, and otters were a special favorite. I didn't know there were Shores animal stories hiding out there. If only it could be profitable to collect and market them with kids' books.

Jack

That's great! My son would have loved this story when he was young. I used to read him this sort of animal story all the time, and otters were a special favorite. I didn't know there were Shores animal stories hiding out there. If only it could be profitable to collect and market them with kids' books.

Jack

I was just reading Jungle Lore by Jim Corbett and he makes mention of otters in India. Evidently a pair of otters will occasionally attack and kill crocodiles or constrictors for sport. One otter will be on each side of the reptile and while one makes a fake attempt at the neck the other will make a real attempt at the neck when the croc swings its head around to deal with the fake attack. This process is repeated until the spinal column is practically ripped of flesh and the animal has died.