• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY and pics v. scans

20 posts in this topic

Why am I noticing more pics used in listings than actual scans?????

Meaning, I see more pics than scans these days.....when did this shift occur?

I could be wrong, BUT, it appears that crappy pics seem to garner a higher price than a good solid scan....just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I prefer to see a good clear scan of both sides versus I couple pics of someone "holding the slab up" while the pic is taken to advertise their listing.....maybe it's just me :( I prefer the professionalism of a good scan!

I suck at taking pics of comics. I can't seem to get rid of the flash. I guess it'd help if I read my camera's manual so I knew what all the buttons did. Scans come out funny also ... especially on the thicker slabs. But I get streaks of glare on them all that I can't get rid of. So it's kind of a 'damned if I do & damned if I don't' scenario for me.

As to your question ... (shrug)

A picture hides defects, it's the shady seller's method of choice. I was just about to start a thread complaining about craigslist/kijiji ads where the seller posts small pictures, and refuses to give details. I guess potential buyers are willing to risk a potential upside, knowing they have buyer protection.

I think photos work for CGG slabs and lower-grade readers where the buyer is not going to complain if you graded it in the ballpark. A G/VG reader is a G/VG reader.

I scan ALL my books (front and back), but it takes much longer than if I'd just start taking photos of lower-grade books.

When I photograph other non-comics for eBay, I use daytime filtered light, like near a window with the sheers drawn. This knocks down on hard reflections while keeping the subject well lit. I only use a flash when there's no other adequate light source.

When I sell on ebay, I use scans for slabs and scans (in the mylar) and pictures for raw books. It's my opinion that scans tend to camouflage certain defects of raw books, like creases, that are highlighted with good pictures.

Agreed. By far pics are superior to scans. You'll see shadows created by spine dents (very common!), that you'll just never see in a scan.

BUT .... and this is a major point. Very few people know enough of the basics of photography to do it well. It's a skill that can take time to develop, and most people just couldn't care less to get it right.

So bottom line is that use of a scanner gets very good results that anyone can get after just a few tries with consistent results.

A picture hides defects, it's the shady seller's method of choice.

Or, as the eleventy billion paged thread on Legal-Sized Scanners thoroughly highlights, it's bloody hard to find a scanner that fits slabs these days. I know I can't from any of my local shops.

I'd say a BUNCH of sellers out there are, like me, not professional. I simply sell books I own (and don't love) that I want to use to help fund purchases of books I wished I did own and would love.

So I use photos.

I take pride in my packaging, shipping and quality of books. I am also extremely lacking in shade. Unless, of course, the sun is due north of me and you are located due south of my donut loving .

I think photos are 100% fine so long as they are CLEAR. If you put up blurry mess, I ain't buying.

I am fortunate enough to have access to a scanner that can scan slabs and I use a regular scanner for raws.

A picture hides defects, it's the shady seller's method of choice.

Or, as the eleventy billion paged thread on Legal-Sized Scanners thoroughly highlights, it's bloody hard to find a scanner that fits slabs these days. I know I can't from any of my local shops.

I'd say a BUNCH of sellers out there are, like me, not professional. I simply sell books I own (and don't love) that I want to use to help fund purchases of books I wished I did own and would love.

So I use photos.

I take pride in my packaging, shipping and quality of books. I am also extremely lacking in shade. Unless, of course, the sun is due north of me and you are located due south of my donut loving .

I agree. I think photos are 100% fine so long as they are CLEAR. If you put up blurry mess, I ain't buying. I do find using a scanner for raws to be a heck of a lot faster than taking pics though but I post a lot.

2c

Just the other day I was reading about the best scanners for slabs as taking photos is difficult. It's the reflection from the cases which is irritating, unfortunately my printer/scanner is not big enough to fit an entire slab so i'd need a dedicated one but I'm only a small time collector who sells to buy - so I passed.

Having said that, as a buyer I always prefer scans of slabs, it's so much more professional and for raws clear photos are fine.

I do not have a scanner, and no plans to get one. I have a decent DSLR camera and a tripod. That is all anyone needs. Of course, a lot of people on eBay now terrible photos taken with their phone, not having bothered to read the instructions.

To avoid reflections from a slab, put the slab on the floor or a table, point the camera straight down. Make sure the slab is NOT in the center of the picture, but off to the side (or you will get a reflection of yourself/the camera). Then crop the photo.

For raws, I both scan and take cell phone images. I like scans because they are ultra high res and crystal clear. I like photos because they show the book at various angles to avoid hiding certain defects. Buyers should receive what's advertised in my listings

For slabs, I just take a variety of cell phone pics because I don't have a legal sized scanner. However, I take about 7-8 pics of the slab from various angles.

So far this has worked well for me.

I've been taking phone pics of raw comics and have noticed I've been getting a lot higher prices for raw books than if I was to take a scan. I take multiple pics and a lot of close ups of corners and spines, front and back as well as making any notes of any major damage so the buyer doesn't get a surprise when he/she gets the book. CGC slabs get a front and back scan, I got an email from a buyer one time asking for a back scan of a slab, I told him I didn't take a back scan cause I didn't want him to see the back page torn off that is sitting inside the 9.8 slab :P

I'm scanning my slabs now. The camera would give a mirror effect even when I was taking photos in a light box (my light box studio is a must for selling housewares). I just scanned all of my slabs this week and posted the new pictures. It worked and I moved a stale book the next day after it being posted months online with camera photos.

The scans show up better when people shop on their phones and I'm not surprised I was able to move inventory after updating the listing photo with a scan.

Now for my 100+ $0.99 auctions, that is just a photo front and back. Way too much effort to move common moderns by scanning them all. Most people don't even take those out of the bag when selling while I'm taking front and back photos.

I have also used this app: Genius Scan + to convert angled photos (to avoid capturing myself in reflection) into flat images:

http://thegrizzlylabs.com

This is an example for you in exactly how not to do it:

1. raised comic, instead of flat.

2. bad overhead lighting at night, instead of good overhead lighting or day or both.

3. lenticular cover.

4. original shot taken too far away, particularly for the lighting.

However, it's the only one where I still had a copy of the source photo.

E3THJh8.jpg

MwD78be.jpg

But, to be clear, I would use image one on eBay and image two for my personal comics database.

When I sell on ebay, I use scans for slabs and scans (in the mylar) and pictures for raw books. It's my opinion that scans tend to camouflage certain defects of raw books, like creases, that are highlighted with good pictures.

Agreed. By far pics are superior to scans. You'll see shadows created by spine dents (very common!), that you'll just never see in a scan.

BUT .... and this is a major point. Very few people know enough of the basics of photography to do it well. It's a skill that can take time to develop, and most people just couldn't care less to get it right.

So bottom line is that use of a scanner gets very good results that anyone can get after just a few tries with consistent results.

This.

For generally $25+ books I use pictures with light shining on all the corners and spine. The 12 pictures is just enough for every corner plus the main front and back pics as well as any extras showing spot wear.

Anything under $20 I just scan front and back.

A picture hides defects, it's the shady seller's method of choice. I was just about to start a thread complaining about craigslist/kijiji ads where the seller posts small pictures, and refuses to give details. I guess potential buyers are willing to risk a potential upside, knowing they have buyer protection.

While small pics are not good at all, posting pics is not always shady. Taking multiple high quality pics can sometimes show more details than a scan. Having said that, scans are my choice. However, combining the two might be the best option. hm More time and labor intensive though.

I guess i dont agree with that. Scans tend to show more than necessary. Like foresenic pics. the book is meant to be read at about a foot away from our field of view. sometimes i get the text on the back side of the front cover "ghosting" through. I usually scan but also understand that the book will "present" at about a foot away and a pic gives the book alittle "space" . I have looked at my scans and have even noticed that it sometimes picks up the fiber in the paper. Having said that i still go with a mix of scan and pics at different angels.