• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full Backs and Mylites?
1 1

42 posts in this topic

I've noticed that this is quite a tight fit for the books, anybody else have the same problem??

Use silver age size. gossip.gif

Or you can do like I do,

take standard Mylite 2's and silver Fullbacks, take about 1/32nd of an inch off of each board, and you get a nice fit, without the hinderance of the bag not fitting in the box. Looks really nice, the book doesnt move and yet it is easy to get the book in and out of the mylite2.

ComicSupply, do you have a chart on your website that recommends which to use for which size comic? I would find that very helpful. I'm going to need bags soon, and the sizes are too confusing. Standard (725) works for bronze and silver, and Silver/Gold (775) works for gold, but are too big for silver? I need help.

Or you can do like I do,

take standard Mylite 2's and silver Fullbacks, take about 1/32nd of an inch off of each board, and you get a nice fit, without the hinderance of the bag not fitting in the box. Looks really nice, the book doesnt move and yet it is easy to get the book in and out of the mylite2.

Or instead of taking all that time and effort, use "Standard" size fullbacks and Mylites2 (or Silver size).

If you fold the flap over right at the top edge of the board, neither the board or book are going to jump around.

Or you can do like I do,

Or instead of taking all that time and effort, use "Standard" size fullbacks and Mylites2 (or Silver size).

If you fold the flap over right at the top edge of the board, neither the board or book are going to jump around.

But the board is not wide enough for my tastes when I use it for my silvers. The regular board is not wide enough, so i cut them down so that they fit snug and still give me the extra room i need.

agreed, i like the board to cover the whole back of the book, mainly because all of my other books are boarded that way, and i like em uniform, prolly helps for condition too but meh:P

Here are the breakdowns.

Current Mylars: 7" Probably too small for anything before 1980. I would stay away from this size. To me, you might was well go with the 7 1/4" because those fit more.

Standard Mylars: 7 1/4" This is in my eyes the ideal size. This size will fit just about everything from 1964-now. This will allow enough board to cover the back of the comic completely. This size will also fit a lot of books that date even back to the 50's. I would stick with this size, and have a pack of two of the next size for those that don't fit.

Silver/Gold Mylars: 7 3'4" This size is too big in my opinion for most comics. The majority of comics that are placed into these would be better served with the Standard ones. Only comics that are oversize or very old (1940-1959) really need to be in here. There will always be exceptions, but for instance in my collection of around 10000 books, I have about 20-30 that really needed to be put into these bags. Specifically 80-100 pg giants and Giant Sizes need these. As well as old oversize Dells and the likes.

Golden: 8" Very large bags, probably too big for most comics. You are looking at putting in Dell Oversizes and books that are rolled badly.

Super Golden: 8 1/4" Very very large bags. Not much use or call for these. I have probably sold 2-4 packs of these in my life.

Standard Mylars: 7 1/4" This is in my eyes the ideal size. This size will fit just about everything from 1964-now. This will allow enough board to cover the back of the comic completely. This size will also fit a lot of books that date even back to the 50's. I would stick with this size, and have a pack of two of the next size for those that don't fit.

I agree with you. I just received the 7 1/4" x 10 3/4 " mylites (100 ct.) and the 7 " Full Backs (50 ct. regular size) backing boards and they fit nicely with my Harvey's going back to the 1950s. thumbsup2.gif

Comicsupply, I've heard a number of forumites talk about putting their primo books in 4mil archive holders after they've already put them in a mylite2 with a fullback. If I'm using the standard size m2s, what size m4 do I need to make a good fit?

Or you can do like I do,

But the board is not wide enough for my tastes when I use it for my silvers. The regular board is not wide enough, so i cut them down so that they fit snug and still give me the extra room i need.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif My Standard size full backs are just a tad wider than my silver age books. confused-smiley-013.gif Not by much, but the comics do not overlap the boards. I'm not dumb enough to let that happen.

Comicsupply, I've heard a number of forumites talk about putting their primo books in 4mil archive holders after they've already put them in a mylite2 with a fullback. If I'm using the standard size m2s, what size m4 do I need to make a good fit?

overkill. you'd just be spending extra money that's not really necessary. there was also a thread recently about how books can be damaged if you do that.

overkill. you'd just be spending extra money that's not really necessary. there was also a thread recently about how books can be damaged if you do that.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I like to double fullback some of my nicer books so I buy a size higher bag/board for my larger books, the pre 1975 stuff. The 7 1/4 fit well enough, but not with two boards in there.

the 4 mil holders do provide that much more protection, and also allow you to yank the books out of the box a bit easier, without grabbing near the book.

I agree... the extra safety of a 2 mil/board combo in a 4 mil is priceless when you want to handle your books from time to time.

Sizing the the book to the bags is key though, especially 100 pagers Annuals, 80 pagers ect.. all need to be in larger sized bag/boards so not to pinch the edges too much.

Lotsa bagging options to be sure.. I think that is part of why we all collect books. We get to exercise/express our OCD tendencies in the way we store our stuff..

Ze-

To be honest, I would really have to disagree with the 2 mil into the 4 mil.

So, if you are doing that, that already shows me that you are a serious collector and you know how to handle your books. So, why do you really need that extra thickness if you know how to handle your comics?

The 2 mil isn't sized correctly and it has extra mylar at the top as does the 1 mil. Placing a board into that makes the top (where there is no board) bubble and it can curve your books. By placing them into a 4 mil, you cause them to be able to curve more over time.

The 1 mil is thinner and easier to crease and make that bubble go away with pressure. If you pull the mylite over the board, that extra space becomes very unnoticable and will not curve your book near as much.

In the end, I do not believe that by going with the 2 mil offers you really any more protection than you really need. It will cost you less to go with the 1 mil and will benefit your books in the long run.

As a seller of these, the capitalist thing to do would tell you to go with the 2 mils because they cost more and there is more profit to be had, but I honestly can't do that because I can see the damage that can happen from it.

The 2 mil isn't sized correctly and it has extra mylar at the top as does the 1 mil. Placing a board into that makes the top (where there is no board) bubble and it can curve your books. By placing them into a 4 mil, you cause them to be able to curve more over time.

Actually I use that to form a seam. I Use SA/GA and fullbacks. I fold the flap of the mylar just passed that bit of extra. Then I just grab between thumb and forefinger and, applying pressure, slide from the middle to the right and then from the middle to the left (or vice versa).

This forms a nice folded seam and causes the mylar to lie flat at the top - no more bubble. Then I use one of those curcular Avery sticky-dots to hold the flap down. I like the dots because I can make a note on it if I want and it is removable/restickable. I just remove the dot, place it on somewhere on the back of the mylar out of the way, and no worries. Then just stick it bak on the flap when I'm done.