• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coollines looking for a sucker?

74 posts in this topic

I really don't know what to think about these guys.. I have inquired about numerous items from them and obviously they come back with ridiculous prices. Weird thing is sometimes I'll see the same pieces he is offering me cheaper on eBay or comic link.. Like at least get your pricing straight guys - I am embarrassed for them if they are actually dealers..

They operate on a simple, yet infuriating set of rules....

1) If you ask about it, you want it.

2) if you want it, it's worth more

3) how much more? a lot more

4) if you ask about it again, see 2 and 3 and multiply price by 3.

Asking about anything is a mistake. Heck, I remember when people would make offers on their Ebay stuff, they'd revise the listing to add 20-100% to the asking price.

Given the gist of this thread, won't asking about a page just "ruin" it for someone else ?!?

As someone who has bought and "lived" to tell about it...

It was 1991, the first time I went to San Diego Comic Con

Back in their "San Mateo" days

I got my Flash 226 page, Adams GL backup

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=287716

From Steve Donnelly for a whopping $260.00

They must've had 5 tables just piled with art.

I didn't go through any stacks.

The Adams page was more or less on top of a pile.

I paid for the Adams page and a Don Newton Marvel Jr page and left.

dont think your seeing the best. I once asked them about New Mutant covers...they pulled out the covers to 2 and 3 , having never put them online and only showing one of them once in a CBG listing (for like 3x market price at the time).

I think you dont see all they have. To be fair, it might just be the most expensive when you add up all the 1k-5k pages (actual market) they have. Regardless, its insane.

Oh I know we aren't seeing it all, but the quality just doesn't match unless they are hiding AF 15 or Action 1 covers...I just don't think their collection trumps collections that include (in the same collection) Giant Size X-men 1, Silver Surfer 1, DD 181, multiple Ditko Spider-man covers, Iron Man 1, Star Wars 1, and thousands more.

Over the years seen personal collections that have over a dozen Adams Batman covers, guys with complete Ditko ASM books.....just the craziest stuff....all A+. There are 10-12 guys that , if they sold their top 25 pieces, could buy an island an have enough left over to build a runway for their new gulfstream and still not feel the pinch.

We might be talking about different things. I was going for private collections filled with A+ stuff. I have no doubt Los Bros Donnelly have many people beat in sheer weight and number of middle ground pieces.

100 million plus dollars???? holy-

*sigh*. This just got listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-RYAN-Iron-Man-52-cover-large-Iron-Man-image-/331869983949?hash=item4d44fe14cd:g:XHMAAOSwnNBXToNS

Cool Lines bought this cover in May 2014 for $366. They quickly put dressing on it and immediately priced it at a multiple what they paid--but what they didn't say on their website, and what they don't say in this eBay description, is that this is an inked only copy. The owner of the pencils told me he emailed them to change it but they did not reply or change their description.

I reported the item. I think everyone here should. And do it every day until the auction is removed. They won't stop this stuff, if you passively sit back and allow it. They have no reason to change, if you give them none. If you can't even report that the item is missing vital information on the piece, then you really have no business complaining about what they (or any other dealer/rep/artist) does in this hobby.

Although you can report a comic book fraud and ebay will quickly take it down after about 5 reports, artwork is never taken down for some reason. No matter how many reports they receive.

I really don't know what to think about these guys.. I have inquired about numerous items from them and obviously they come back with ridiculous prices. Weird thing is sometimes I'll see the same pieces he is offering me cheaper on eBay or comic link.. Like at least get your pricing straight guys - I am embarrassed for them if they are actually dealers..

Asking about anything is a mistake. Heck, I remember when people would make offers on their Ebay stuff, they'd revise the listing to add 20-100% to the asking price.

If they give you a price, you could always reply with, "I'll get back to you as I'm going to have to ask my brother" (then don't respond).

Chris you have a long memory here, same as myself, and I agree with what you've posted above and pretty much everything in this thread.

BUT, for things I've followed of theirs for twenty odd years (yup!)...there has been some recent softening on price. No, not if you ask (per se, I don't much) but previous 'asks' vs. listed BIN on eBay and then again on the relist. The prices on two pieces I very much want has been coming down about 10% per instance, so 20% off an ask off several years ago to now this year. It can happen :) I keep expecting the sky to turn blood red and to seek shelter from a hailstorm of frogs or something! However, these pieces are still under the rosiest of scenarios 3x fmv ;)

The days of completely ignoring their stock may be coming to a (slow) close..? If they could get down to even 1.5x fmv, they would have me as a customer again (it's been nearly ten years since the last time!) Just wanted to add my observation.

There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he were sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

*sigh*. This just got listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICHAEL-RYAN-Iron-Man-52-cover-large-Iron-Man-image-/331869983949?hash=item4d44fe14cd:g:XHMAAOSwnNBXToNS

Cool Lines bought this cover in May 2014 for $366. They quickly put dressing on it and immediately priced it at a multiple what they paid--but what they didn't say on their website, and what they don't say in this eBay description, is that this is an inked only copy. The owner of the pencils told me he emailed them to change it but they did not reply or change their description.

That's dishonest in my book.

That's dishonest in EVERY book.

Agreed, 100%

Slimy behavior

The days of completely ignoring their stock may be coming to a (slow) close..? If they could get down to even 1.5x fmv, they would have me as a customer again (it's been nearly ten years since the last time!) Just wanted to add my observation.

I always had fair dealing with them but I refuse to do business anymore because of their shady tactics. I want no part in supporting a partnership that blatantly lies and cheats it's customers and causes hard to a hobby I love. So, for me, the days of ignoring their stock is nowhere near coming to a close.

I always had fair dealing with them but I refuse to do business anymore because of their shady tactics. I want no part in supporting a partnership that blatantly lies and cheats it's customers and causes hard to a hobby I love. So, for me, the days of ignoring their stock is nowhere near coming to a close. [/quote

This is why my dealings with dealers is fallen to an absolute minimum as well as my making a recent decision to move away from buying on auction sites. Nobody likes to be played for a sucker. At the end of the day, it's just art. I'd rather go without.