• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 5: 16th - 18th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 16th to 18th  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 16th to 18th

44 posts in this topic

All,

The 19th to 21st poll has ended with the following results:

19th TTA #27

20th ASM #14

21st OAAW #83

22nd = FF#4 and Sgt Fury #1

24th ASM #3

25th JIM #85

26th Flash #105

27th Tec #225

28th= FF #52 and Green Lantern #1

30th X-Men #4

3 votes this time to determine which books are 16th, 17th and 18th

Please vote for the least important books.

Poll ends June 10th.

On an aside is FF the greatest comic series?

With 3 issues in the top #18 and many more key first appearances is it the most important comic title?

Feel another poll may be coming..................

With 3 issues in the top #18 and many more key first appearances is it the most important comic title?

Argument can certainly be made for the FF in my book. Lots of stuff going on in the first 75 issues. Considering that 1,2,4,5,6,12,13,16,19,25-28,36,38,44,45,46,48-50,51-53,55,57-60,65-67 all have SOMETHING notable happening. I'm probably missing several as well.......

Argument can certainly be made for the FF in my book. Lots of stuff going on in the first 75 issues. Considering that 1,2,4,5,6,12,13,16,19,25-28,36,38,44,45,46,48-50,51-53,55,57-60,65-67 all have SOMETHING notable happening. I'm probably missing several as well.......

I love FF but Showcase is the greatest Silver Age series- even influenced the creation of the FF thanks to Jack Kirby's Showcase 6.

I love FF but Showcase is the greatest Silver Age series- even influenced the creation of the FF thanks to Jack Kirby's Showcase 6.

Certainly respect the SC run, but an anthology title just can't compare to a regular title with a continuity of characters in my mind.

Certainly respect the SC run, but an anthology title just can't compare to a regular title with a continuity of characters in my mind.

I would also argue that the FF and SC runs don't compare to ASM in the Silver Age. Most of the "notable" issues listed above in FF really aren't that notable outside of the FF, and that title was surpassed by ASM by 1966 or 67 in popularity/relevance. The only real keys/more significant issues from a broader perspective are #1, 4, 5, 12, 45, 48, 52, and maybe 65. That is it. ASM tops that with keys/more significant issues in #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 39, 40, 41, 42, 50 (and I may be missing a few others).

When I started seriously collecting comics as a 12 year old kid in 1987 I could not figure out why the FF had the "World's Greatest Comic" tagline when there were so many other Marvel titles that were better than it. lol

There's a good argument in here, but most of the key ASM books you list introduce villains that aren't that notable outside of ASM. Why is the 1st Lizard such a key book outside of its relevance in Spidey's world alone, for example?

If we should judge FF by keys that reach outside the title, we should look at ASM the same way?

Dan

A good number of those FF books had far reaching Marvel Universe implications, especially the books found in the 36-75 range.

I'm an ASM guy first and foremost, but even Spider-Man's most prominent villian, the Green Goblin, doesn't have a lot of lateral movement in terms of his place in the Marvel Universe.

I would also argue that the FF and SC runs don't compare to ASM in the Silver Age. Most of the "notable" issues listed above in FF really aren't that notable outside of the FF, and that title was surpassed by ASM by 1966 or 67 in popularity/relevance. The only real keys/more significant issues from a broader perspective are #1, 4, 5, 12, 45, 48, 52, and maybe 65. That is it. ASM tops that with keys/more significant issues in #1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 39, 40, 41, 42, 50 (and I may be missing a few others).

When I started seriously collecting comics as a 12 year old kid in 1987 I could not figure out why the FF had the "World's Greatest Comic" tagline when there were so many other Marvel titles that were better than it. lol

It's anthologies that made the SA - Amazing Adventures-Amazing Adult Fantasy-Amazing Fantasy 15; TTA; TOS, ST, BB, SC. Most of the greatest creations came out of these SA anthologies and Showcase was the best of them.

As for the ASM run - many of those issues you site are not keys beyond Spidey's "web." Characters like Subby, Doom, Inhumans, Surfer, Galactus, Black Panther, and Warlock have impacted the entire Marvel Universe. FF is the greater non-anthology run. Really not fair for us to compare these runs- but if we do, then it comes down to which had the greatest influence on comic book history. The Showcase run had it all.

It's anthologies that made the SA - Amazing Adventures-Amazing Adult Fantasy-Amazing Fantasy 15; TTA; TOS, ST, BB, SC. Most of the greatest creations came out of these SA anthologies and Showcase was the best of them.

As for the ASM run - many of those issues you site are not keys beyond Spidey's "web." Characters like Subby, Doom, Inhumans, Surfer, Galactus, Black Panther, and Warlock have impacted the entire Marvel Universe. FF is the greater non-anthology run. Really not fair for us to compare these runs- but if we do, then it comes down to which had the greatest influence on comic book history. The Showcase run had it all.

Again, all due respect to the SC run-which is amazing, but it's easier to have a title full of key issues when the title's sole purpose is to introduce or reintroduce characters.

And yeah, anthologies make up a sizable portion of the SA, but nobody lists TOS, TTA, JIM or ST as the most important run of the SA. SC differentiates itself from all of those titles due to the girth of its impact, which is easier to accomplish due to the rotating cast of new or reintroduced characters.

Although, we're all just debating for fun. All of these titles had an impact far beyond what anyone could comprehend when they were published.

Starting to get tough. I'm a bit surprised by my own picks sigh.

FF 5

One of my favorite SA books but in the end I think Galactus and the Silver Surfer are more important to the Marvel Universe so FF 5 gotta go.

Adventure 247

I've always been a fan of the Legion but it just doesn't seem relevant today. Issues around 340 are wonderful.

ASM 1

2nd appearance

Again, all due respect to the SC run-which is amazing, but it's easier to have a title full of key issues when the title's sole purpose is to introduce or reintroduce characters.

And yeah, anthologies make up a sizable portion of the SA, but nobody lists TOS, TTA, JIM or ST as the most important run of the SA. SC differentiates itself from all of those titles due to the girth of its impact, which is easier to accomplish due to the rotating cast of new or reintroduced characters.

Although, we're all just debating for fun. All of these titles had an impact far beyond what anyone could comprehend when they were published.

Agreed, it's fun debating and these books are all great. You're right about no one listing TTA, JIM, or ST as the most important SA runs but my point has to do with the fact that "continuity of characters" is not the only criteria that defines a great run. I mentioned the anthologies because they gave rise to most of the characters that later went on to have their respective runs- including the greatest SA creation, Spider-Man, in the anthology titled AF 15. The anthology has a huge place in the SA. Showcase is the one anthology that has been referred to as the greatest SA run because the level of creativity in this one run has never been achieved prior to nor after its published run. Are there any anthology titles that achieved the same level of creativity as Showcase? That even come close?

That being said, without the SC run reintroducing super-heroes with a more relevant for the time origin, would Marvel SA heroes ever have been printed?

Agreed, it's fun debating and these books are all great. You're right about no one listing TTA, JIM, or ST as the most important SA runs but my point has to do with the fact that "continuity of characters" is not the only criteria that defines a great run. I mentioned the anthologies because they gave rise to most of the characters that later went on to have their respective runs- including the greatest SA creation, Spider-Man, in the anthology titled AF 15. The anthology has a huge place in the SA. Showcase is the one anthology that has been referred to as the greatest SA run because the level of creativity in this one run has never been achieved prior to nor after its published run. Are there any anthology titles that achieved the same level of creativity as Showcase? That even come close?

(thumbs u Brave and Bold as well.