• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Age Hierarchy: Poll 5: 16th - 18th

Silver Age Hierarchy - 16th to 18th  

261 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age Hierarchy - 16th to 18th

44 posts in this topic

All really great points about SC vs FF runs. Interesting to look at it from a different perspective.

Shocked to see Adventure 247 getting so many votes, Overstreet REALLY pushed the book back in the 70's and 80's, to the point that it was considered at or near the top of the SA heap for some time. I figured on that book being a top ten issue.

All really great points about SC vs FF runs. Interesting to look at it from a different perspective.

Shocked to see Adventure 247 getting so many votes, Overstreet REALLY pushed the book back in the 70's and 80's, to the point that it was considered at or near the top of the SA heap for some time. I figured on that book being a top ten issue.

...it was a well respected title in the 60's and seemed to be avidly sought after in the 80's and 90's...... and as far as Super Teams go, doesn't it predate the JLA ?........ regardless, we have to remember that this poll, as with any poll on the Boards, is limited in scope to our particular demographics. One thing I see is that the next few rounds will be very difficult for me. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

...it was a well respected title in the 60's and seemed to be avidly sought after in the 80's and 90's...... and as far as Super Teams go, doesn't it predate the JLA ?........ regardless, we have to remember that this poll, as with any poll on the Boards, is limited in scope to our particular demographics. One thing I see is that the next few rounds will be very difficult for me. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Interesting thought - is there a disadvantage to being towards the top of a list rather than the bottom when it comes to selecting items to be voted off.

Is Adv #247 getting more votes than comparable books just because it is the 2nd item on the list?

I went with Act 252, Adv 247 (that hurt), and that's where I went rogue.

I see a lot of Strange Tales 110 votes; I can't go there yet.

I eliminated Daredevil #1. IMO, DD was a "me too" character until Miller. Doctor Strange, however, was a big part of why Marvel took off on campuses. In the strict confines of the silver age, I think Ditko Doc is a pretty big deal.

Went with...

ACTION 252

FF 48

ST 110

Some of my decisions starting last round are starting to get made for me (or taken away how you want to look at it)...would've had ASM 14 still here but most likely out in this round or next...

I see a lot of Strange Tales 110 votes; I can't go there yet.

I eliminated Daredevil #1. IMO, DD was a "me too" character until Miller. Doctor Strange, however, was a big part of why Marvel took off on campuses. In the strict confines of the silver age, I think Ditko Doc is a pretty big deal.

Daredevil will go pretty soon for me too. But you've got to remember those Miller Daredevils were over 35 years ago. That's pretty much 35 years of relevance. Doctor Strange's relevance was really only in his early days (as you say above) and in the last few years since the movie announcement. Maybe 10-15 years relevance?

In perspective Miller Daredevil was around the same time as Claremont/Byrne X-Men. But you wouldn't say X-Men #1 because they were also ran's before Claremont/Byrne.

. But you wouldn't say X-Men #1 because they were also ran's before Claremont/Byrne.

I think that X-Men #1 is a gigantic book, but your point is valid. If I'm going to look at all this stuff within a SA only context, then I have to apply it evenly. X-M 1 may have to go before I had originally thought!

I went ST110 + FF48 + Adv 247, the toughest call was choosing between FF48 and FF5. But I thought Marvel's greatest villain (well maybe Magneto should get this honour?) was too much to vote out, so unfortunately I had to cut one of my favourites in the Surfer :(

Also, had a real tough time cutting Adv247 ..... so I guess the only easy cut was Dr. Strange.

I think the cut from 15 down to 10 will be the most difficult though

I went FF48, Action 252 and Adv 247. You're right, Adv 247 was painful to administer the coup de grace.

FF48 will not die!

I went ST110 + FF48 + Adv 247, the toughest call was choosing between FF48 and FF5. But I thought Marvel's greatest villain (well maybe Magneto should get this honour?) was too much to vote out, so unfortunately I had to cut one of my favourites in the Surfer :(

Also, had a real tough time cutting Adv247 ..... so I guess the only easy cut was Dr. Strange.

Agreed that the hard work is coming up. I am really curious where ASM 1 is going to end up. That is a top 10 book for me. The current voting suggests otherwise.

Agreed that the hard work is coming up. I am really curious where ASM 1 is going to end up. That is a top 10 book for me. The current voting suggests otherwise.

I am likewise curious for Showcase 22 - an easy top 10 book for me (albeit no higher than 9), but it seems based on the voting that it will be tight between ASM1, DD1 and SC22.

I'm surprised Action 252 has made it this far. Supergirl was at best the 3rd spinoff from Superman. Superboy preceded her by a decade, but you also have Krypto the super dog who preceded her by several years and illustrates how much she is just the next step in the iterative super-family. There is nothing novel or important about her.

According to this current snapshot the top 4 books are...

AF 15

FF 1

TOS 39

X-MEN 1

hm

Can't base current votes to determine top ranking.

AF #15 could theoretically be the 4th vote for everyone who has currently voted

AF 15

FF 1

TOS 39

X-MEN 1

hm

Just sayin :makepoint:

AF 15

FF 1

TOS 39

X-MEN 1

hm

Just sayin :makepoint:

:foryou: