• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Problems with Mile High Comics

78 posts in this topic

Quick little note about milehigh on eBay. One of the books on my want list is kind of hard to find. They have it listed on eBay for $50. I ran a search to see if any others had sold but only found the milehigh book that did NOT sell at $30. I messaged them to see if they could work on the $50 price since it didn't sell the first time. They responded saying that the price listed on eBay is the lowest discount they can give. I messaged back and thanked them for their time while I told them I was just wondering why it would have gone up $20 if it didn't sell at the cheaper price. They messaged back again and said the two auctions weren't for the same condition. I compared the two auctions, they're the same scans, same Fine grade, same description, and same title. Then they said the powers-that-be are repricing inventory. lol

Usually if I have a book that doesn't sell, I don't relist at an even higher price.

Quick little note about milehigh on eBay. One of the books on my want list is kind of hard to find. They have it listed on eBay for $50. I ran a search to see if any others had sold but only found the milehigh book that did NOT sell at $30. I messaged them to see if they could work on the $50 price since it didn't sell the first time. They responded saying that the price listed on eBay is the lowest discount they can give. I messaged back and thanked them for their time while I told them I was just wondering why it would have gone up $20 if it didn't sell at the cheaper price. They messaged back again and said the two auctions weren't for the same condition. I compared the two auctions, they're the same scans, same Fine grade, same description, and same title. Then they said the powers-that-be are repricing inventory. lol

Usually if I have a book that doesn't sell, I don't relist at an even higher price.

I had been watching a 9.6 Saga of the Swamp thing #21 for a while and kept forgetting to bid before it closed. The guy relisted it 2 or 3 times and I'd forget and it wouldn't sell all those times. Finally, I emailed the dude and asked if he'd just sell it to me through paypal for the price he'd been listing. He said sure but let me list it again on ebay so you can grab it.

What does he do? He raises the price by $30 :facepalm: I wrote him back, politely asking if that was a mistake and he said nope...that's his new price.

If I wasn't a comic nerd, I'd sure hate comic nerds.

I had been watching a 9.6 Saga of the Swamp thing #21 for a while and kept forgetting to bid before it closed. The guy relisted it 2 or 3 times and I'd forget and it wouldn't sell all those times. Finally, I emailed the dude and asked if he'd just sell it to me through paypal for the price he'd been listing. He said sure but let me list it again on ebay so you can grab it.

What does he do? He raises the price by $30 :facepalm: I wrote him back, politely asking if that was a mistake and he said nope...that's his new price.

If I wasn't a comic nerd, I'd sure hate comic nerds.

lol

That sounds almost identical. I'll never understand.

Thanks to the tips from Rune, I too finally got hold of someone at Mile High Comics, and they have now sent me the books that were missing in my original delivery.

This time around I even received shipping confirmations etc. from their back_issue e-mail address, so I'm hoping that means that they have fixed their e-mail problems. Nevertheless, next time I'll be making an order I'll e-mail them first to make sure that there's a working line of communication in place.

I have of course seen all the posts here with criticism of MHC, and just thought I'd add my few cents:

- I have made several orders from MHC over the past few years, and never had a problem with them until this incident (where the biggest problem was that I wasn't able to reach them - most likely a result of their move, but arguably something they should have discovered and fixed at a much earlier date).

- Yes, the prices listed on their website are generally high, however they always have an active discount codeword that slashes the prices by anywhere between 30 to 60 %. Their prices did use to be even higher than now - they were cut by rather a lot a year or two ago (but seem to have been steadily rising again since then).

- I have usually been ordering books somewhere in the vicinity of VG/F, and have had few disagreements with their grading on those, at least - OR the prices, particularly after applying the current discount codeword.

- Perhaps most importantly: One HUGE advantage with MHC for us international customers is that they offer very reasonable international shipping charges, and in that regard there unfortunately really aren't too many realistic competitors.

I checked out MyComicShop by filling a shopping basket with 25 books at a total of $58.29. The cheapest shipping they could offer was International Economy at $26.00 - rising with every book I added. At MHC that same order would cost me $7.

If anyone has any tips about other vendors with reasonable international shipping charges, I'm sure that both I and other fans from "The Rest of the World" would be very grateful. :-)

I just placed my first order with Doug Sulipa. My e-mail was responded to within a day, I sent them confirmation I wanted the books, and they're shipping out tomorrow. They're based in Canada apparently so their international shipping rates might work for you. It was a little confusing working through the site at first, but I'll definitely be a repeat customer.

Also, I haven't received a confirmation from MHC for the order I placed on Monday. The auction is still up on eBay as well, so I hope nobody snatches it up :eek: . I wonder what would happen then.

You should get confirmation right away.

Also, I haven't received a confirmation from MHC for the order I placed on Monday. The auction is still up on eBay as well, so I hope nobody snatches it up :eek: . I wonder what would happen then.

You should get confirmation right away.

I should have been clearer. I received a confirmation right when I ordered, but the confirmation e-mail stated:

This message is to acknowledge receipt of your order through the Internet Store at MileHighComics.com.

Once this order is uploaded you will receive confirmation of your order with your customer and invoice number. Along with a copy of your order and summary of charges.

But below that, the books I ordered are listed, the discount has been added, and there is an order total at the bottom. Maybe I'm just confused by their wording.

Since then, I haven't received anything else, and the book is still listed on eBay.

I enquired about a $800 comic last year, and asked if I could have a scan of the actual comic. I eventually got a reply saying that the item was sold. So two months later, they still had it up on ebay though, several more months later, still there, but they doubled the price, same comic, item number, lol.

So, I just don't bother with them anymore ;-)

I enquired about a $800 comic last year, and asked if I could have a scan of the actual comic. I eventually got a reply saying that the item was sold. So two months later, they still had it up on ebay though, several more months later, still there, but they doubled the price, same comic, item number, lol.

So, I just don't bother with them anymore ;-)

Chuck's a business mastermind. Didn't he turn down half a mil for a comic he ended up auctioning off for ten grand a short while later because he was sure it was worth a million?