• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's your top 2 ASM covers (2-20)?

55 posts in this topic

Being the Spidey collector that I am I have opinions...as we know...opinions can hover between beliefs and facts...so here goes...

And let me preface my picks by saying I am interpreting "top" to be "favorite" in my voting...

My first tier considerations are...

3/4/9/12/13/14

My second tier considerations are...

1/2/11/15/16/17/18

Covers that would never be considered for my top 2...

5/10/19/20 (5 and 10 being the worst of the bunch)

So I've casted out 12 because it is a great cover for me but 3rd Doc Ock cover...so we're down to 3/4/13/14

For me 9 and 14 are a tie so I'll cast them out...down to 3/4/13...

Gonna go with...

3 1st Doc Ock

4 1st Sandman

As for the consternation surrounding issue 4 I have the following comments:

Just love the following:

The story-telling of the cover

The uniqueness of the cover being the only 4-panel

The word balloons

The campiness and humor

The art

The trippiness of the Sandman's body changing...especially Panel 2

'nuff said

Well thought out (thumbs u

And yes, top cover in this case is just your favorite, nothing to do with importance.

My personal favorites are 3 & 13 with honorable mentions to 2, 9, 14,15 (because this is the 1st book I purchased off the rack & my first time seeing Spidey as a young boy). :preach:

you were one month ahead of me phil! i grabbed 16 off a spinner, and more for the look of the guy in yellow--bought dd 3 the very same day. of course, the spider ended up becoming the favorite fictional character of my whole life [iF he's really fictional].

#3 and #6 for me - for some reason I love #6!

I also cannot understand people liking #4 - arguably the worst of the first 20 issues IMO, outside of #10 (maybe)

To both: I just tried to explain why I objectively like it, but it seems I wasn’t understand.

To me, it’s one of the best early Silver Age covers, period, but I can see people prefer sensation over overall composition.

Maybe it's just me....... but I can't think of another title where the top two cover choices will vary as much from person to person as ASM........ I wonder what the results of a POLL would show ? GOD BLESS.....

=jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

My personal favorites are 3 & 13 with honorable mentions to 2, 9, 14,15 (because this is the 1st book I purchased off the rack & my first time seeing Spidey as a young boy). :preach:

you were one month ahead of me phil! i grabbed 16 off a spinner, and more for the look of the guy in yellow--bought dd 3 the very same day. of course, the spider ended up becoming the favorite fictional character of my whole life [iF he's really fictional].

:hi: